REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Vancouver
Average Price 1984: $116,444
Price Today If Homes Had Risen by the Inflation Rate Since 1984: $236,187
Actual Average Price Today: $761,742

Dafuq.
those numbers make me feel like
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

What I would like to see is the statistic of average consumer spending over the past 20 years given into account of inflation. I cannot say for certain, but it seems like personal spending has increased a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
What I would like to see is the statistic of average consumer spending over the past 20 years given into account of inflation. I cannot say for certain, but it seems like personal spending has increased a lot.
Just think 20yrs ago there was no internet, cell phones or really any decent TV service. Now people are spending so much cash on electronics and going out for dinner I wouldn't be surprised if it has increased 1000%
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
Young people in 2012 are just more self-entitled, with worse work ethics and screwed up money priorities; compared to their 1984 counterparts.
okay may be not the best priorities...self-entitlement is debatable but to say poor work ethics is a stretch IMO.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Bravo, some great responses guys!

Society is always full of chumps who complain about this or that and falsely believe that things were easier in the past. In my view, they are just chumps, plain and simple.

I was born in the 80's and I remember my dad's mortgage rate was around 17% LOL, that's as much as credit cards charge! But hey, easy times right?

Boobs who think "things were cheaper back then" don't seem to understand inflation (or perhaps they do and just want to make excuses). You cannot compare 1980's prices with todays prices without adjusting for the inflation that has taken place. And I'm talking about real inflation numbers, not the nominal (re: severely underreported) rates posted by governments. Oh and there's also this little thing called a housing bubble that affects prices.

I find that people who have a habit of making excuses always like believing that "all those other people" have advantages that they don't have (in Vancouver, these bums' favourite excuses seems to be "rich asian kids"-as if there are no kids of upper middle class people elsewhere lol).

At the same time, underachievers always conveniently fail to point out the advantages that they have that other people of other times/places don't have. Advantages like living in one of the wealthiest and freest countries in the world, or having access to all the useful information in the world (think wealth creation) at their fingertips. But alas, lemons are lemons for a reason. They will bitch about their "problems" to other lemons while the successful are busy earning their success.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
back then you could forget about a mortage and horde all your money into investments with the sky high interest rates, then when the interest rates dropped down you'd have a pile of cash to buy a house with.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
Bravo, some great responses guys!

Society is always full of chumps who complain about this or that and falsely believe that things were easier in the past. In my view, they are just chumps, plain and simple.

I was born in the 80's and I remember my dad's mortgage rate was around 17% LOL, that's as much as credit cards charge! But hey, easy times right?

Boobs who think "things were cheaper back then" don't seem to understand inflation (or perhaps they do and just want to make excuses). You cannot compare 1980's prices with todays prices without adjusting for the inflation that has taken place. And I'm talking about real inflation numbers, not the nominal (re: severely underreported) rates posted by governments. Oh and there's also this little thing called a housing bubble that affects prices.

I find that people who have a habit of making excuses always like believing that "all those other people" have advantages that they don't have (in Vancouver, these bums' favourite excuses seems to be "rich asian kids"-as if there are no kids of upper middle class people elsewhere lol).

At the same time, underachievers always conveniently fail to point out the advantages that they have that other people of other times/places don't have. Advantages like living in one of the wealthiest and freest countries in the world, or having access to all the useful information in the world (think wealth creation) at their fingertips. But alas, lemons are lemons for a reason. They will bitch about their "problems" to other lemons while the successful are busy earning their success.
at least you didnt have to deal with shitty dubstep, and the sheep that love it

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 05-09-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Now I finally understand why my dad always tells me stories that starts with "back in my days..."

I feel you dad!
My dad herded cows and never went to school....worked his ass off to put 4 kids through school and I never thanked him yet...

Now that I'm a dad with only 1 kid and know how it feels, And I've had it EASY.

Fuck I'm tearing up now...

Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

How many Fins are billionaires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
This is incorrect. The best public school system in the world belongs to Finland where they promote equality and look down upon competition. This can also be correlated to why the Scandinavian countries experience the highest levels of happiest, and coincidentally why they are the most equal countries on the Earth.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
My parents first house was $30k in Winnipeg. My first car was almost more then that...
im from winterpeg and my parents say the exact same thing.

my dad used to tell me that when companies are laying people off, some people actually volunteer because you were still able to pay your mortgage with your EI.

my parents house was just over 24k.

My parents also told me that back in 91' places in downtown used to cost 60k only hahah
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
whats up with people talking about work ethics, did you even read the article? its about how prices have risen more than salaries, by more than inflation

Quote:
Today, financial self-sufficiency is impossible without taking breaks from school to work. The Bank of Canada’s handy inflation calculator tells us that my $1,000 tuition back in 1984 would cost $2,028 today if it increased just by the inflation rate annually. But according to Statistics Canada, the latest read on average tuition fees is $5,366.
Quote:
House prices themselves are an abstract number – the real question is how affordable a home is. Data from a 2011 Conference Board of Canada study on income inequality shows the average family after-tax income in 1984 was $48,500. In 2009, the latest date included in the study, income levels had risen to $60,000. In 1984, a house might have cost a family 1.6 times its annual income. Today, we’re looking at a multiple of something around six.
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Here you go:

It's taken out of my ECON textbook. RFlush is right. As you guys can see the gap between income and consumption has closed in quite a bit since the 80's.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,567 Times in 1,715 Posts
Mind blowing some of the posts coming out about "Work ethics". It's also funny that the assholes that are posting this are sitting at home sucking from their parent's tits.

Productivity has gone UP, not down, quit spewing that bullshit propaganda.

The truth is our government, and the baby boomer generation have failed our generation. The system has already been rigged and jeered out of this generations favour, fact is all of us will have it harder than our parents did, plan and simple. Inflation has risen at a MUCH HIGHER rate in relation to wages, that is a simple fact.

It's almost mind blowing at one point where a household could have a single income coming in, with the wife staying at home. Nowadays, having a family is a serious financial burden, it's one of the main reasons I have no intentions of having children. To lose the combined income from my spouse would be an unimaginable financial hit.

The system is fucked. Housing prices will have to fall at some point, I am a firm believer of this fact. The current trend we have going on in the US, and to a lesser point the US, simply can't go on forever here. Something is going to have to give, and eventually it will.

It's kind of sad reading some people's posts on this stuff. You would think we people as a whole would want to see society and the quality of life for all improve. We know that societies eventually fail when wealth accumulates too far at the top. I guess it's human nature in the end though isn't it?
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Survival of the fitest. If you're a lazy bastard, you deserve to die off like the rest....
You dont get something for nothing.
why r u thinking like a capitalist?
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I'm going to get my $1.39 jr chicken now
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #41

Cry more.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
Here you go:

It's taken out of my ECON textbook. RFlush is right. As you guys can see the gap between income and consumption has closed in quite a bit since the 80's.
Lower interest rates since the late 1980s have discouraged saving and encouraged spending (cheap money/credit.)

Cash is no longer a sound investment strategy. Playing stocks is, but unfortunately, most people don't have the knowledge and risk tolerance to make the gains that they would have made from cash in the 1980s. You basically need to make 7-9% on your money to outdo inflation (real inflation which includes fuel increases) and only a small minority get these returns on a consistent basis. The transfer of wealth to the stock market is one reason why the gap between the rich and poor has grown.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #43
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I plan on moving out of Canada.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
did you even read the article?

also nice to see a rich dude saying shit like that.
I'm not rephrasing what the article said, I'm saying what I feel about the topic of the current generation vs previous.
Glad to know you have such a in depth knowledge of my financial situation. First off, I am no where near rich yet. Second, I can guarantee you I had a poorer childhood compared to you and greater student loans. Sorry an immigrant family like mine all made something of ourselves though, please accept my apology. And coming from anything but a upper class background, it pains me that SO many people like you feel that rich people shouldn't have a say in issues because their rich. Because majority of rich people are just gifted a money tree by God right? Keep your jealousy in check, it's not a good color on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Failed not because it's not true, but because it's out of context here.

Bottom line is it is way tougher for young people nowadays to get financially comfortable when house prices are more than three times more than what it was equivalently less than 30 years ago, but income has not come anywhere close to matching the rate of increase.
You're comparing apples to oranges.
Vancouver is nowhere near what it was 30 years ago.
As cities grow, advance; they get more expensive. Why? People will flock to good things, and thus drive the price up. It's simple supply and demand.
If you can't afford to live in Vancouver, it's not the government and economy failing you, it's you not realizing or willing to accept that to obtain the level of success you want, that you need to move. If you don't want to move, you need to reevaluate your expectations.
Being BORN somewhere, does not mean you have the right to live and succeed in that city.
Life isn't a gym where you can pay a bit extra at the beginning when you join, in order to lock in the same monthly payments for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Mind blowing some of the posts coming out about "Work ethics". It's also funny that the assholes that are posting this are sitting at home sucking from their parent's tits.

Productivity has gone UP, not down, quit spewing that bullshit propaganda.

The truth is our government, and the baby boomer generation have failed our generation. The system has already been rigged and jeered out of this generations favour, fact is all of us will have it harder than our parents did, plan and simple. Inflation has risen at a MUCH HIGHER rate in relation to wages, that is a simple fact.

It's almost mind blowing at one point where a household could have a single income coming in, with the wife staying at home. Nowadays, having a family is a serious financial burden, it's one of the main reasons I have no intentions of having children. To lose the combined income from my spouse would be an unimaginable financial hit.

The system is fucked. Housing prices will have to fall at some point, I am a firm believer of this fact. The current trend we have going on in the US, and to a lesser point the US, simply can't go on forever here. Something is going to have to give, and eventually it will.

It's kind of sad reading some people's posts on this stuff. You would think we people as a whole would want to see society and the quality of life for all improve. We know that societies eventually fail when wealth accumulates too far at the top. I guess it's human nature in the end though isn't it?
I'm not arguing that the government and baby boomer generation have some responsibility in the current climate.

But a increase in productivity now, is not solely indicative of work ethic. Ever hear of technology and greater choice of worker for example?
Saying that "work ethic" is fine because productivity has gone up. I don't even know how to respond to that.
Please pick up a book.

Most people who don't think there's anything wrong with the "work ethic" with the majority of younger people/ entry level workers; clearly have lower standards because they themselves have a shit sense of work ethic and accountability.

And once again, people who live with support from their parents/rich people can't have a good work ethic?

And please direct me to a parental "tit" I can suck on, would help me relieve a lot of monetary stress.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #45
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
Here you go:

To compare...

edit: Yah, the high interest rate was because of high inflation back then.

Last edited by goo3; 05-09-2012 at 11:08 PM.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #46
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^dafuq

dat 15%+ interest rate
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
There'll always be excuses. This part never changes.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
How many Fins are billionaires?
Do you want a society that creates happiness or one that creates billionaires?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #49
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally Posted by m!chael View Post
Do you want a society that creates happiness or one that creates billionaires?
If I am the billionaire, I would be happy as fuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #50
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote