REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Vibration Issue

Vibrations can sometimes be a real PITA and after a lot of testing and checking, I have to say I'm stumped on the source of my vibration.

So the problem is that I get a vibration at approximately 40km/h under the following conditions

1. The car must be accelerating for the vibration to occur, i.e does not vibrate when braking or cruising (although maintaining the 40km/h does produce a VERY slight vibration, thought he actual vibration is much worse).

2. Warm or cold engine, the vibration is there

3. Above 45km/h and below 35km/h, the vibration disappears. Even at speeds of 130km/h there is no vibration.

So far what I've checked is;

Engine mounts
CV joints
Wheel bearings
Wheels are balanced and aligned.

One of the rims is slightly bent, though I would have thought that this sort of vibration would get worse with increasing speeds. My winter set is in the storage and is a hassle to take out, so I won't be able to test this for a while.

Any other suggestions in the mean time? Is it highly probable that it's the slightly bent rim causing the issue?

Thanks in advanced, been killing me for a while
Advertisement

Last edited by bottle; 05-14-2012 at 09:03 PM.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

does it change with rpm? exhaust rattle? What are do you hear it in? can you feel it in the steering wheel?

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

Generally speaking, the harder you accelerate, the stronger the vibration, so I would assume the higher RPMs, the stronger vibration (though this doesn't occur at higher speeds remember, even with high RPMs).

Funny thing is that it's not a sound, it's simply a feeling. You can feel it shaking the entire car, or at the very least the drivers seat. The steering wheel doesn't shake in isolation, kinda goes at the same frequency as the rest of the car. But if I had to choose, I feel it more throughout the whole car (seat and feet) rather than the steering wheel.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

maybe you're car is misfiring under load. if that's teamed with worn out engine mounts it'd shake pretty bad.

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Sounds like and axle or cv joint. what car is it?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

04 Corolla, recently did a drop + rims and tires.

Mech told me CV joint looks fine, wheels are nice and tight when the car is lifted. Going to double check the engine mounts.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Late bump on this, issue still persists.

Wheels are nice and stiff in place when off the ground, so I'm guessing the axles is okay?

Likewise engine mounts look good too.
Would you guys say I can rule out the slightly bent rim? Maybe tire pressure?

Want to avoid bringing it into a shop if possible.