REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

High end merchandise store coming locally for the 1%

Just heard about this from a friend and thought I'd share! Anyone here already on their list?

Exclusive clientele pay thousands to browse high-end merchandise

Vancouver's one per cent have a new place to spend their millions.

Starting Wednesday, wealthy members of Colton's Personal Couture will pay $25,000 upfront to shop the couture brands by appointment in a private showroom stocked with their favourite luxury labels. Of the annual fee, $7,500 goes to membership dues, and the $17,500 balance is store credit. "Fashion confidantes" will guide them toward clothes and accessories that look classy and tasteful, and that suit their lifestyle.

More than 400 people, culled from the client lists of private bankers and luxury car dealers, have already expressed interest in the concept.

But at first, the club — Owned by Howard Colton — will only accept 200 clients, gradually increasing to 400 as they iron out new-business kinks.

It will primarily cater to the Asian population which, as Colton said, love brands and love to shop, but can benefit from the guidance of fashion experts.

Even the super-rich need help navigating trends and putting together a personal style, Colton said, adding that he believes $25,000 isn't a barrier for the clientele he will serve.

The establishment of the club — which also provides clients with a personal limousine service so they can travel to and from the showroom — indicates the changing retail landscape of the city. Twenty-five years ago, Leone was the only luxury brand store in Metro Vancouver. But in recent years, Tiffany, Coach, Hermes and The Room at the Bay have opened to cater to the high-end consumer.

As the principle partner and luxury Italian supplier of the online retailer BlueFly.com, Colton has well-established connections to European design houses. But this is not another BlueFly.com, he said. He wanted to create a new business that has a more personal touch.

"I wanted to do it in a more bespoke kind of way," he said, emphasizing that this is not a typical retail shopping experience.

"We don't want 5,000 people to come through every day like Holt Renfrew, Leone or Boboli. We want one-on-one. And that we should become their fashion confidantes."

Colton also understands that even the very rich love a deal. So his mark-up is lower than usual. He'll make his money on the membership fees.

The club is in a Richmond, B.C. penthouse that Colton has transformed into a luxurious personal fashion showroom. Chandeliers adorn every room and it boasts over $500,000 in merchandise, including unique Alexander McQueen clutches and a $50,000 handbag by Hermes.

Wearing his limited edition $60,000 Frank Muller watch, jeans and patent red shoes, Colton proudly showed off his space. He pointed out the zebra wood cabinet in the men's department in which all the drawers are lined with suede and Tom Ford and Etro hang on the custom-made hangers. The women's area boasts a small shoe section and lots of wonderful bags by Miu Miu, Prada, Gucci and Balenciaga. The clothing range will expand as they come to know their clients' sizes and preferences, he said. When a client visits, his or her preferred brands will be displayed.

"We dress the showroom according to the preferences of the client but we will try to nudge them a little sideways."

Yvette Cartier, a resident of New York and Montreal, heard about the club from a friend. An investment banker, she describes herself as a "big shopper who likes select merchandise."

"I am not a Holt Renfrew shopper," she said. "I shop abroad to buy every season, but it can be difficult because sometimes what I want is sold out."

She said she was very impressed with the merchandise she saw at Colton's. "It was very edited and very beautiful." Cartier spent her full store credit in one visit and said she would do it again. She doesn't care if she gets a discount. She just wants the goods.

Vancouver Sun

kgram@vancouversun.com
Advertisement

Last edited by optiblue; 05-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
The ballers have a new store to get fashion advice and designer threads.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Why would asians spend their money here? Selection in Vancouver is not great relative to close-by cities like LA, or Vegas which would have way more selection.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
It will primarily cater to the Asian population which, as Colton said, love brands and love to shop, but can benefit from the guidance of fashion experts.
The one good thing from this: It could help the rich, yet classless. AKA mainlanders.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

money cant buy class, but now it can!
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
More like 0.02% if it's 400 potential clients out of 2M+ population in GVRD.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,354 Times in 5,070 Posts
Uhm...... did somethign change in the business laws in Richmond?

Last time I checked, you weren't allowed to run a business from a residence in Richmond, how can he get away with doing this out of a condo penthouse?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

writers a hack, referring to the 1%

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Might as well just delete the fashion for sale sub-forum.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
we already have stores offering silly prices on merchandise and if you want to get better furniture than that you get custom work done.... and in those shops the attendants are extremely helpful and if that isn't good enough you can hire personal shoppers/assistants that will do the same... and if that isn't enough you're extremely wealthy and you would have a personal tailor as well as shop @ whatever designers own office where only select clients get to go to

So this guys so called couture store is simply trying to money grab from some unsuspecting idiots with too much money.... no wonder he's targeting new money

(interesting that article doesn't support commenting...)

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-16-2012 at 04:58 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #12

if i was vain and rich enough id just spend the 25k on a personal stylist that can source the same shit for me. prolly 1/4 of the price too. or id just get a couple of high end hookers to go shopping with
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Coltons Personal Couture

penthouse my ass, it's just a regular office building. Gonna be fun to see clai's crashing into luxury cars as they flock to Kirin on weekends.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #14

Interesting concept. But I doubt it'll fly in a small town like Vancouver. The really rich can simply go to Europe directly every season. What's the credential of this Colton guy? Is he some well-known stylist or something? Are his advice really worth the coin?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
More like 0.02% if it's 400 potential clients out of 2M+ population in GVRD.
Yea, it's not like everyone that is super-rich wants this type of service. Only if you need to be eye candy to your clients or in need of screaming Benjamins over Confidence.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
in b4 w6sta
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
I don't get it

it won't fly here. The rich come here to diversify their real estate holdings mainly for the good of the children. There can be no bragging rights telling their friends they bought their stuff at a high end store in Vancouver when everyone else has roots in Vancouver as well. Would you rather tell your friends you bought it at the XYZ store in Vancouver or you flew out to Europe and purchased during a shopping trip?

Rich mainlanders are fun to be around once in a while if you enjoy spending money frivolously. They only do it to show off, you can't show off to your friends if no one else can enter into the store.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #18

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Interesting concept. But I doubt it'll fly in a small town like Vancouver. The really rich can simply go to Europe directly every season. What's the credential of this Colton guy? Is he some well-known stylist or something? Are his advice really worth the coin?
Dude did you not read the article? He's was wearing his limited edition $60,000 Frank Muller watch, jeans and patent red shoes. With style like that I would gladly pay anything to shop at his store.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
When I saw 1%, I thought of OMCs.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Dude will be out of business within 2 months and good like going up against online retailers from Italy who not only sell designer labels that are marked down by 20% compared to high end retailers in North America, they also get all the new stuff for the current season before most of the stores.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Everyone knows you go to BoysCo for the coolest clothing, and satchels.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

Shopping is not convenient in Vancouver so buisnesses like that have a good chance to succeed
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #23

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
someone quick! go tell him that he just made a big mistake!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Did a quick search and there was no Colton in China; should've just opened there, Beijing & Shanghai
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Also whats the point so spending 25k if you cant show it off. He needs to make some kind of crest or badge to put on clothes so every one will know.

1. Build a high end shop in a penthouse.
2. Sign up a bunch of people at 25K each.
3. Hide the money
4.Declare bankruptcy.
Seems like a good plan to me. If he sells 200 memberships that's 5 million right there. If he was serious he would not take all the membership money up front.

Last edited by Manic!; 05-17-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote