REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Trading method

Hi all, I am sick of paying $30 for trades with TD Waterhouse.

I want some input as to what discount brokerages in Canada you have had success with.

I thought e*trade would work, but it seems to only work for A'mericans. lol.

TIA!
Advertisement
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

I use quest trade and its not bad. Trades are between 4.95 to 9.95
Questrade Canadian Discount Broker | Online Stock Trading | Education

Can take maybe up to 2 weeks to setup an account though. They have to verify your identify by asking your old financials. I failed mine since I just dont remember details from years ago and had to print out a form, sign and send it over to TO. I think they have a office in metro tower where you can go and just drop off your paperwork as well during office hours.

Since quest trade isnt tied to your bank, you will have to transfer your money over to them. Which usually takes 2 full business days. With TD, its pretty much instant / or the next day.

They are also starting in the fall a inactivity fee if you have under 5000$ in combined equity in all accounts. If you don't make at least 1 trade that month, you get charged 10$ fee.
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2K View Post
I use quest trade and its not bad. Trades are between 4.95 to 9.95
Questrade Canadian Discount Broker | Online Stock Trading | Education

Can take maybe up to 2 weeks to setup an account though. They have to verify your identify by asking your old financials. I failed mine since I just dont remember details from years ago and had to print out a form, sign and send it over to TO. I think they have a office in metro tower where you can go and just drop off your paperwork as well during office hours.

Since quest trade isnt tied to your bank, you will have to transfer your money over to them. Which usually takes 2 full business days. With TD, its pretty much instant / or the next day.

They are also starting in the fall a inactivity fee if you have under 5000$ in combined equity in all accounts. If you don't make at least 1 trade that month, you get charged 10$ fee.
Questrade effing blows. They'll work fine for months and out of no where, will randomly fuck shit up. I transferred from my TSFA to my RRSP leaving a 0 balance in my TSFA. In their wisdom, they decided to suspend ALL my accounts. They kept telling me that it'd be fixed 'next business day'. Took them 2 weeks.

I also tried their new trading platform which sucked and was buggy. Wanted to transfer back.. whaddaya know, my account got locked again. Took them another week to resolve.

Oh, did I mention the response times for their stupid chat takes forever?

I switched over to BMO and have been happy with the service so far. Flat $10 trades. Most major banks offer those flat $10 trades now.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
I don't get it

I use Interactive brokers. USD 0.005 per share.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Questrade effing blows. They'll work fine for months and out of no where, will randomly fuck shit up. I transferred from my TSFA to my RRSP leaving a 0 balance in my TSFA. In their wisdom, they decided to suspend ALL my accounts. They kept telling me that it'd be fixed 'next business day'. Took them 2 weeks.

I also tried their new trading platform which sucked and was buggy. Wanted to transfer back.. whaddaya know, my account got locked again. Took them another week to resolve.

Oh, did I mention the response times for their stupid chat takes forever?

I switched over to BMO and have been happy with the service so far. Flat $10 trades. Most major banks offer those flat $10 trades now.
To get 10 dollar trades, you need at least 50k in your combined family trading accounts and assets
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote