REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Jean Tailoring (Slimming) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668475-jean-tailoring-slimming.html)

dygital 05-24-2012 02:30 AM

Jean Tailoring (Slimming)

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of a tailor who will slim down a pair of pants? I have 2 pairs of True Religion pants that I got as gifts and I usually wear skinny/slim fit pants so the TR's obviously don't fit me well. I want to have the entire leg slimmed down and the waist taken in(TR's idea of a 28 is like a 32...), or is it impossible to turn a straight leg into something more slim? If anyone knows a place, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

PJ 05-24-2012 10:57 AM

Any place can do it.. I had something similar done at Oakridge tailors before, but it was pretty expensive. Might be better trying to sell them and size down.
It was a few years ago, but IIRC, it was ~$50 ish

LC21 05-24-2012 11:15 AM

costed me $20 at Albert's Tailor

thegentleman 05-24-2012 01:29 PM

I think It's called tapering? Any place that does alterations does it. Prices will vary.

I also received 2 pairs of TR's as gifts, they flared at the bottom but got them into a more skinny/slim taper. Cost me 20 each IIRC.

dygital 05-25-2012 05:36 AM

I'd size down if I could but 28 is the smallest they make and they don't make slim fits
PJ, how was it quality wise? and I'd rather pay $50 and have a pair of jeans to wear than have it sit in my closet

Thanks everyone for the responses!

PJ 05-25-2012 05:58 AM

Go get a quote. It's been years since I did mine.. either I'm remembering the price wrong or I just overpaid lol :o

I honestly don't remember. I haven't worn a pair of TR's since I was 19. :ohgodwhy:

StylinRed 05-25-2012 06:15 AM

taking in the waist, the legs, will require adjusting the pockets, crotch, etc? too

what you want is basically like sewing you a whole new pair of jeans.... i imagine it'd be pricey wherever you go

PJ 05-25-2012 07:22 AM

The gf said to do it "proper" will cost well over $70-$100+, because they pretty much have to slice the jean in half down the side, roll the whole thing in, and resew. Not to mention you'll lose all the elaborate stitching. Like Stylin said, they're pretty much sewing you a whole new pair of jeans using only material from your jeans they just cut up.

Just cutting, rolling and resewing the lower outside seam is probably the $20-$50 option we're all thinking of, but there's only so much "skinnier" you can make it before you have to start changing everything else.

I think it'll look weird turning a baggier jean into a skinny. Especially TR's with their big ass pockets. If you roll too much of the inseam/outseam, the pockets will get pulled too much to the sides.

LC21 05-25-2012 01:09 PM

If youre getting your entire jeans done up, you might as well invest on a new pair. Not worth the trouble.

dboy 05-25-2012 05:32 PM

If you're talking about this, it shouldn't be that expensive. I say $15-$25 is good price.

PJ 05-25-2012 11:04 PM

She's just tapering the bottom leg.
TR's are relatively very baggy, and if you pull in the thigh area into a skinny, the pockets are going to be off-centered.
Dunno, just imo

dygital 05-27-2012 08:05 AM

The two pairs I have aren't the ones with the fancy stitching on the side so I hope it won't be overly expensive :(

Also, my pockets don't have flaps :D hopefully it'll be good.
Thanks again everyone!