REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   claiming air miles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668559-claiming-air-miles.html)

insomniac 05-25-2012 09:23 PM

claiming air miles

long story short. dad very recently passed away. i know im not supposed to worry about this now, but just posting it now so i can check up on it later since things are hectic right now

my dad and my mom always shared a airmiles card. they racked up a great sum of points over the past 15+ years. the card is under his name. im not sure how air miles works, but are all the points gone now that hes gone too? how are we able claim the points?

thanks in advance

i-VTEC 05-25-2012 09:25 PM

Sorry for your lost, and you should not worry about that now.

But i think, if you go airmile website, log in, if you know the password, then you can probably claim straight from there. Check your mailing address too

i-VTEC 05-25-2012 09:27 PM

Also i think airmile has 2 reward point now. called Cash Reward/Dream reward. Ever 90 Cash reward points you can deduct $10 at participating air mile location like Shell or Safeway. Dream reward points are for using points to claim for items, gift cards, vacation etc..

so if you have a lot of cash reward you can just tell the shell person saying I want to deduct my gas bill or something

HonestTea 05-25-2012 09:33 PM

Damn :(

Sorry for your lost.. :(

insomniac 05-25-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d87c (Post 7928648)
Sorry for your lost, and you should not worry about that now.

But i think, if you go airmile website, log in, if you know the password, then you can probably claim straight from there. Check your mailing address too

I know it's something I shouldn't worry about right now. Seems un-tasteful for me to do that but I don't have the time to do my own research as I have to get everything organized so im putting my trust on RS. Mom just brought it up so i just want to answer her questions asap.

thanks for the tips, will try that when i get the chance to do so.

Redlines_Daily 05-25-2012 10:26 PM

When my mom died we basically got the middle finger from air miles, they didn't let us claim any of it. Don't worry bro, it's not in bad taste..there is so much to do when something like that happens, it's good that your taking care of it. Sorry for your loss

-Jeremy

murd0c 05-25-2012 11:15 PM

sorry for your loss. If you know his password and stuff for airmiles.ca just log in claim what you can and they will ship it to the registered addy and they do't even ask for a signature. Hopefully things go smoothly and sorry again for your loss.

insomniac 05-26-2012 01:27 AM

thank you jeremy :( that really sucks to hear

thanks murd0c! looks like its just the number and the pin. everything should be easy from there. thanks a lot for your help and kind words.

hopefully things will go smoothly from here.

Drow 05-26-2012 01:45 AM

air miles points expire within a couple years if u dont use em up.

sorry for your loss.

StylinRed 05-26-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow (Post 7928825)

sorry for your loss.

I was wondering why my dads account only has a couple dozen points... from decades of use and never claiming anything...

sorry for your loss insomniac

TOS'd 05-26-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7928836)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow (Post 7928825)

sorry for your loss.

I was wondering why my dads account only has a couple dozen points... from decades of use and never claiming anything...

sorry for your loss insomniac

They only started the 5 year expiry on unused points at the beginning of this year. Since the beginning, 20 years ago, points had no expiry dates.

Sorry to hear about your loss, insomniac.

FerrariEnzo 05-26-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac (Post 7928645)
my dad and my mom always shared a airmiles card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac (Post 7928679)
Mom just brought it up

cant you get her to call it in, do they have separate cards with different names but same number? or just 1 one card that they both use but only has his name on it??

SumAznGuy 05-26-2012 08:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss Insomniac.

Last year I got an email from Airmiles saying they were going to close my account since I stopped using my card. After getting married, I have been using my wife's card at Safeway only.

Guess I better use up my points first.

StylinRed 05-26-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7928882)
They only started the 5 year expiry on unused points at the beginning of this year. Since the beginning, 20 years ago, points had no expiry dates.

Sorry to hear about your loss, insomniac.

then wth are all his points -_- damn it
heck i use his card when i buy gas too but nothing... wonder if it just isnt registering anymore... ah well

racerman88 05-26-2012 01:35 PM

sorry for your loss.
If they had a joint account, there should be no problem with your mom accessing everything.

Hehe 05-26-2012 09:17 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Not airmiles exactly, but when my friend's dad passed away, he had almost 8 figures of United miles in his account (for flying almost non-stop for 35 years on bus trip), UA simply changed the account holder to his mother after proving that she was in fact the spouse.

So, just give them a call, they are usually pretty cool dealing with these situations.

Edit: I just chatted with my friend, he said that his dad actually had a small section in his will to allow/inherit the access of the account to his spouse upon his death (as he realized the miles are quite valuable on such a massive amount) and UA indeed required a copy of the will (just faxed over)

quasi 05-26-2012 10:59 PM

If you have the pin go online and use the miles to order and have it shipped to your house. Don't call in, do it online. Not sure you'd be able to do it for flights but even then you can always just call in and say you're him they won't know.