REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   air care!!!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669140-air-care.html)

GG 06-06-2012 12:39 PM

air care!!!!

anyway i can avoid it?

i really dont wonna go thru the hassle of removing my header, put back stock, take it off and reinstall it unless i really have no choice.

Its an obd2, do they still use mirror to check?

any tips? or im hooped

i-VTEC 06-06-2012 12:42 PM

I think they are cancelling air care in 2014

Edit

Here is the news article http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...e-changes.html

XplicitLuder 06-06-2012 12:44 PM

you can avoid it by not insuring it til after they get rid of it :ilied:

GG 06-06-2012 12:45 PM

^

lol than id be so screwed

2 more years

mine is a 05, so i gotta do it before next month

NOw i heard if i dont have check engine light they only do visual inspection?

i do not have check engine light

Spectre_Cdn 06-06-2012 01:20 PM

98 Honda OBDII
I didn't have a CEL. The aircare guy used a mirror to check underneath the front and the driver side. I only had an axle-back, though. Are aftermarket headers not allowed?

fsy82 06-06-2012 01:26 PM

I have aftermarket headers and a high flo cat..pass everytime

GG 06-06-2012 01:37 PM

^

u have at least a cat

i have nth

my friend told me just weld on a piece of cat cover on, so when they check with mirror it looks like a cat

firebird79_00 06-06-2012 04:13 PM

Tell the insurance company your leaving the lower mainland for work, you need an address. Then get your car insured, go back shortly and say youve changed your mind and not going to leave. They change your address back to what it was and your car is insured.

Your rate will go up but will drop back to what it was the second you change your address back.

GG 06-06-2012 04:21 PM

^

if i do that, wouldnt the second i change back to my regular address they will still ask me to do air care?

second, how do i acquire an address to use

saveth 06-06-2012 05:12 PM

you wont have to do aircare because you would have already purchased insurance.

second....ill let you figure that out. The first answer to pop into your head is the right one.

TurboFC3S 06-06-2012 05:26 PM

A) Obtain a heat sheild and weld it onto your downpipe , passed everytime in my WRX that way.. takes 10 mins to do if you got a welder.

B) Change your address to anywhere out of aircare zone (Even mcdonalds in hope or sum shit) buy a years insurance and swap address back to home like saveth said... they send you a form saying you have 30 days to aircare but no1 enforces it

C) Register ur car for territory z, pay 15/30 more a month but no aircare needed..

D) dont be lazy and re-install exhaust lol

/Thread

:woot:

falcon 06-06-2012 05:39 PM

Why do you have to remove your header? I passed with a built motor/ S/C set up with a header, full exhaust and a stock cat in the middle somewhere.

firebird79_00 06-06-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tequilabomb (Post 7939785)
^

if i do that, wouldnt the second i change back to my regular address they will still ask me to do air care?

second, how do i acquire an address to use

No, because your car is already insured....they will tell you it needs it next time you go to insure your vehicle. In my case i dont have to do it that way for another year.

For and address just use a work place or if you know somebody outside of the lower mainland then just use there address.

GG 06-06-2012 07:26 PM

running straight pipe

4-2-1 header one piece, directly connect to a catback

no cat

if i was running my previous setup, shorty header, downpipe, than catback than i can run a cat

registrar 06-06-2012 08:28 PM

For aircare test, have 2 sets of exhaust ready. 1) is legal setup, 2) race setup.

All times happy !
Have FUN :fullofwin:

Yodamaster 06-06-2012 11:37 PM

As others have mentioned...

Stick a legal setup on for AirCare

Switch to your illegal setup after

For the illegal setup;

-Weld a hollowed out catalytic over your exhaust where it would usually be.

-If straight pipe, do the same as the catalytic job but with a hollowed out muffler.

-If James Bond, fab a motorized plate that covers the opening through the muffler on demand, the police sometimes use probes to see if you have a fake muffler. If their probe hits your block off plate, you're all good.

hk20000 06-08-2012 11:57 AM

^ dafuq? You mean straight through mufflers are illegal? They are everywhere on muscle cars though?