REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Bike Lanes Could be Here to Stay

The council needs to stop drinking the hippie kool-aid

Separated downtown bike lanes could be here to stay - News1130

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The controversial downtown separated bike lanes could be here to stay.

Vancouver city council need to decide whether to make the Hornby Street, Dunsmuir Street and Dunsmuir viaduct bike lanes permanent, as "part of the city's regular street infrastructure."

The bike lanes were brought in in 2010 on a trial basis. Last year, city staff says they noticed people were using the separated bike lanes more, with no real change in car or pedestrian volume, and a drop in car crashes.

Not everyone is happy about the bike lanes.

Leo Redavid has run Endz Studio on Dunsmuir between Richards Street and Seymour Street for eight years. He remembers when those bike lanes were put in in 2010. He doesn't like the idea of them being permanent. He's not against cyclists, but thinks they could share the road a bit more.

"I find that the traffic is just unbelievable down on Dunsmuir here. Sometimes I'm watching it ouside the window and I see ambulances and fire trucks just stuck is this road."

When asked if he thought it was because of the bike lanes, Redavid says, "Ya, totally."

"And they put this bike lane in when we have eight months of rain. In the summer I see more cyclists using it, but in the winter time it's empty," he believes.

Other mom and pop eateries that News1130 spoke with say they want the lanes ripped out, they can't park, and they've lost business.

City council will look at making them permanent next week.
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
hire a clai to drive down the bikelanes, it will be removed asap
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
hire a clai to drive down the bikelanes, it will be removed asap
just put up signs saying richmond mall area parking
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
I must say as a downtown resident, I enjoy the bike lanes and make use of them.

But as a driver and a cyclist, like the guy said above, it rains 8 months a year in Vancouver. People drive into town. I actually use the bike lanes when it's raining lightly and I'm ALWAYS the only one in the lanes. I would HAPPILY just ride in the curb lane if that meant I had a better chance of parking when I needed to.

And the Dunsmuir one is disastrous, removing parking spots and making it now illegal to turn right when driving on ANY street between the viaduct and Burrard. There are a couple but otherwise it's annoying as hell.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Lol. Was it even a question that it is to stay. A hippie is running the show here. Trial my ass.
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I don't mind the bike lanes being there but hate that I can't turn left anywhere off the viaduct. It makes getting to most of my destinations a huge process. I would be in support of the bike lanes if they removed the left turn restriction. Of course there would be a safety issue with that, but maybe they could put in traffic signals for cyclists at the intersections to give cars an opportunity to turn.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I don't mind the bike lanes being there but hate that I can't turn left anywhere off the viaduct. It makes getting to most of my destinations a huge process.
That's exactly why people hate the bike lanes. Dunsmuir is a clusterfuck. Especially during rush hour.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Bike lanes are good if done right. For example does anyone care about the bikelane on Burrand Bridge?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,218 Times in 1,611 Posts
Funny, MindBomber and I were discussing this exact topic in chat last night..

I think as long as Gregor is in control, these bike lanes will stay. Want change? Vote him out.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
One question... Does Gregor even fucking ride bike to work?

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
when the super hot sunny weekend was up, in a total of 30 minutes staring at the bike lane on no.3 road, I saw 1 biker.

Let us waste millions building bike lanes that less then 10% of the population uses.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
Gregor rides a cloud propelled by rainbows.

I'm in strong support of cycling in general, but the bike lanes are not as efficient as they should or could be; a few simple adjustments to the current arrangement would improve many citizens opinion of them dramatically.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

just scrap the whole damn thing already. it's caused enough trouble for all of us. and yes, as mentioned above, it RAINS here. welcome to Vancouver.
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
Gregor takes the skytrain and doesn't pay.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts

I've said it in another bike-lane related thread in the past: You can't force cycling infrastructure into one not originally designed for it. There is probably a solution where bike lanes CAN work, but the City opted to shoehorn it in. For the record, I'm not against bicyclists (unless they're of the douchebag variety), but I'm against the fact that they destroyed traffic flow where bike lanes were installed.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
As said by others they really just need to work the kinks out of the system and it wouldn't be a problem as with any new system especially a controversial one goal a) is to get it in through the door b) work out the kinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Beer View Post
just scrap the whole damn thing already. it's caused enough trouble for all of us. and yes, as mentioned above, it RAINS here. welcome to Vancouver.
i thought you were in favour of bike lanes and cyclists?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
when the super hot sunny weekend was up, in a total of 30 minutes staring at the bike lane on no.3 road, I saw 1 biker.

Let us waste millions building bike lanes that less then 10% of the population uses.
why the fuck are we wasting money to satisfy the minority?

WTF
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
why the fuck are we wasting money to satisfy the minority?

WTF
cause the hippie minority represent the majority of the visual protests / complaints
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

I live downtown, and for every cyclist I've seen use the bike lanes, and stop at the intersections for red lights; I've seen 200 that ride all over the street, disobey all traffic laws, and do everything/anything BUT use the bike lane.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I don't mind the bike lanes being there but hate that I can't turn left anywhere off the viaduct. It makes getting to most of my destinations a huge process. I would be in support of the bike lanes if they removed the left turn restriction. Of course there would be a safety issue with that, but maybe they could put in traffic signals for cyclists at the intersections to give cars an opportunity to turn.
I think you mean right turns..?

Coming off the viaduct onto Dunsmuir, you can turn left onto Citadel, Beatty, Cambie, Hamilton, Richards, Howe, and Burrard.

Rights turns are very few up to Burrard. The one I find the worst is Seymour and Dunsmuir. What they should've done is allow right turns onto Seymour only when the designated right turn signal is green; no right turns at all when red. That's what they did by the courthouse on Hornby and Nelson.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Not a huge fans of bike lanes. It rains/snows 8 to 9 months in Vancouver. Why wasted millions of dollars into something that only get used 3 to 4 months in a year and only 10 to 15% of citizen ever use it.

What the gov should do is invest in smart car rental systems or even use it to improve trnasit and roads. I take skytrain to work near downtown and I cal tell you that it is a lot faster than driving during rush hours.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

As far as i know, parking downtown is no excuse for a business losing money. Very soon you will have to PAY to drive downtown. So all the traffic will be focused on walking or public transportation. This city is trying to be more progressive in transforming the public into cyclists and public transportation users. Downtown is well connected to all of the main public transportation routes and it has been decentrilized as an industrial hub so truck traffic is not neccesary. Why do you need to drive downtown and park now? Park near you nearest skytrain and ride it downtown? Then get yo shit and ride back. Way cheaper then parking and gas. I'm all for the bike lanes because it's opting for other alternatives. Downtown core is trying to be greener and this is the best step to doing it. when people start to realize that it's so inconvenient to drive downtown then they will eventually stop trying to drive downtown! As for the richmond bike lanes. Well maybe if richmonds citizens realized how amazing bike lanes in that city worked. bike lanes in vaughcouver are plagued by bus traffic and hills. In richmond it's a straight flat shot everywhere you go. Unless you're picking up groceries or it's raining, why do you seriously need to waste the gas and clog the roads if you can bike to your destination?
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
as far as i know, when they put in the bike lanes as well as the cement, i would of thought they were more of a trail to stay.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Gregor takes the skytrain and doesn't pay.
Wonder if he gets fined for fair evasion and if he even pays the fine at all.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I think you mean right turns..?

Coming off the viaduct onto Dunsmuir, you can turn left onto Citadel, Beatty, Cambie, Hamilton, Richards, Howe, and Burrard.

Rights turns are very few up to Burrard. The one I find the worst is Seymour and Dunsmuir. What they should've done is allow right turns onto Seymour only when the designated right turn signal is green; no right turns at all when red. That's what they did by the courthouse on Hornby and Nelson.
Oops, I meant right turns!
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote