REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   window tinting question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669463-window-tinting-question.html)

wasabisashimi 06-12-2012 12:26 PM

window tinting question

Do you guys use certain brand of window tinting films on your car?

Does it really matter what brand?

I know Rs sponser uses something called Solarguard or sunguard, but i think they are on the pricier side.

I am just wondering if the extra buck is worth it.

Recon604 06-12-2012 12:31 PM

ofc the brand matters. Solargaurd and sungaurd are both well known companies tat make good products for window tinting.

You get what you pay for. Cheap tint wont last long because they will fade, peel and wrinkle.

A lot of well known tinting services offer lifetime warranty

z3german 06-12-2012 01:08 PM

Depends if you want a lasting tint in terms of fading. Also with price comes different qualities of temperature consistencies. My dad works with a window film company called HuperOptik which uses nano ceramic technology in their tints which are quite pricey, but i defiantly notice a HUGE difference in the temperature in the car compared to non tinted/other cheaper tints.

wasabisashimi 06-12-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon604 (Post 7945176)
ofc the brand matters. Solargaurd and sungaurd are both well known companies tat make good products for window tinting.

You get what you pay for. Cheap tint wont last long because they will fade, peel and wrinkle.

A lot of well known tinting services offer lifetime warranty

What percentage darkness is good? I dont want gangster look , Looking for a classsy clean ride, but still get some privacy and heat blocking property

Recon604 06-12-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 7945328)
What percentage darkness is good? I dont want gangster look , Looking for a classsy clean ride, but still get some privacy and heat blocking property

I recommend you getting from 40% to 25% because during the winter season, you will be able to see out from your rear window. Anything lower than 20%, you will have a hard time parking, etc unless you have a backup cam.

Have a look at rs sponser NMotion, they have specs on how much Light is transmitted, etc.
N-Motion Auto | driving comfort, security and convenience.

Phil@rise 06-12-2012 03:45 PM

yes there's a difference between cheap tint and higher priced tint.

One thing is the quality of the dye, I'm sure we've all seen cars where the tint has gone purple. That's due to poorer quality dye.

Then there's the actual material the tint if made from. Some are better for actual heat rejection.

There's also metallic based tint which tends to interfere with cellular reception.

You can't really go based on the brand. Most brands have entry level and higher end films.

Cman333 06-12-2012 03:46 PM

Whoops, that was me ^

Cman333 06-12-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3german (Post 7945208)
Depends if you want a lasting tint in terms of fading. Also with price comes different qualities of temperature consistencies. My dad works with a window film company called HuperOptik which uses nano ceramic technology in their tints which are quite pricey, but i defiantly notice a HUGE difference in the temperature in the car compared to non tinted/other cheaper tints.

I used to have HuperOptik on my old car. Awesome stuff. I have 80% on the fronts, basically went on clear but rejected lots of heat.

Cop eventually pulled me over and wasted $300. That stuff is SUPER expensive and not usually used for the automotive industry.

Harvey Specter 06-12-2012 03:55 PM

+ for HuperOptik. The quality is amazing.

z3german 06-12-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cman333 (Post 7945365)
I used to have HuperOptik on my old car. Awesome stuff. I have 80% on the fronts, basically went on clear but rejected lots of heat.

Cop eventually pulled me over and wasted $300. That stuff is SUPER expensive and not usually used for the automotive industry.

In Singapore its on every Benz you see! Thats us!

Gridlock 06-12-2012 05:23 PM

I have a tint question...is there anyway to tint the back window of a caravan that doesn't look like shit? I know, square film, with a concave shaped window causes the bubbles, but EVERY caravan I see has more bubbles than actual tint...like, why you trying?

Can it be done properly and just every single caravan owner is too cheap to pay the extra money?

Recon604 06-12-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7945447)
I have a tint question...is there anyway to tint the back window of a caravan that doesn't look like shit? I know, square film, with a concave shaped window causes the bubbles, but EVERY caravan I see has more bubbles than actual tint...like, why you trying?

Can it be done properly and just every single caravan owner is too cheap to pay the extra money?

ofc it is possible. Get it done by a professional, tint can be easily applied to any glass surface.

Cman333 06-13-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7945447)

Poor quality tint is probably the reason. We've done many vans (Caravans also) with zero issues with bubbling.

I would assume it was probably a dealership that hired a tinter to do it using the lowest quality film. It looks fine to start, but after 1-2 years it's gone.

Worst film is probably the stuff they sell at Canadian tire.

kwy 06-13-2012 11:30 AM

Cheap tints also have bad glue, which is a pain in the ass to remove, and it smells terrible.

Gridlock 06-13-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cman333 (Post 7946246)
Poor quality tint is probably the reason. We've done many vans (Caravans also) with zero issues with bubbling.

I would assume it was probably a dealership that hired a tinter to do it using the lowest quality film. It looks fine to start, but after 1-2 years it's gone.

Worst film is probably the stuff they sell at Canadian tire.

Thanks! i don't actually own one, but I see them everywhere...and laugh.

freakshow 06-13-2012 02:31 PM

I've used N-motion on 3 different cars. No complaints. They also have (or used to have?) a lifetime warranty against peeling, bubbling, discolouration, etc.

I wouldnt go lower than 20%. 20% is enough to look black from the outside, but any lower, and backing up at night will be a pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon604 (Post 7945351)
I recommend you getting from 40% to 25% because during the winter season, you will be able to see out from your rear window. Anything lower than 20%, you will have a hard time parking, etc unless you have a backup cam.

Have a look at rs sponser NMotion, they have specs on how much Light is transmitted, etc.
N-Motion Auto | driving comfort, security and convenience.

wasabisashimi 06-13-2012 10:28 PM

Is 50% tint not dark at all I cant decide between 35% or 50% . These are the only option tint shops have other than 20

Recon604 06-13-2012 10:50 PM

50% isnt that dark, 35% should be perfect for you.

dohboi 06-13-2012 10:56 PM

I got mine done at N-motion, fast and great job:thumbsup: