REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #16501
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
lol ... just reading all these line proposals just made me realize that there is nothing can be done to improve for next year
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #16502
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, and Niemi get Vezina nominees; think this obviously goes to Bob...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #16503

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
If Booth does come back. We need to find a Manny replacement. Someone to anchor the third line. Look at how the sharks were able to roll Thorton, Couture, and Pavelski at us.

AND as much as I like Schroeder, I don't think he's suitable as a third line centre.

This is going to be a fun off-season. What are we going to do with AV, Booth, Ballard, Luongo? Even Gillis too.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #16504
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
lol ... just reading all these line proposals just made me realize that there is nothing can be done to improve for next year
I say blow the team up rather then try to patch it. Teams want draft picks and with our young players being the weakest in the league we can not trade picks for an older player that will hopefully click with our main core.

I hate this shit but it's reality I would rather want it done this way now then the route Calgary did 3 years to late.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #16505
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
It's tough for the owners to "blow it up" because the canucks always tease the fans for a 'cup run' that sells out the arena and moves merch.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #16506
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, and Niemi get Vezina nominees; think this obviously goes to Bob...
Bobrovsky for me
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #16507
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I say blow the team up rather then try to patch it. Teams want draft picks and with our young players being the weakest in the league we can not trade picks for an older player that will hopefully click with our main core.

I hate this shit but it's reality I would rather want it done this way now then the route Calgary did 3 years to late.
MG should really think long and hard about a core rebuild of the team. Yeah, it would suck to see the team trade away its top players but if that what is needed build a team with more offensive depth and younger players, so be it.

The Sedins have one year left on their 5 year contracts that they signed back in 2009. Although the contracts have no-movement clauses at $6.1 million per year, should MG consider trading the twins in order to get younger top 6 forwards?

He needs to think about it this summer whether the Sedins can elevate their play to a consistent level where they can help this team win a Cup?

One good thing about a team rebuild: Hey, maybe Aquilini might lower ticket prices so that real Canucks fans, the die hard fans like me who watched this team during the many bad seasons and the good seasons can afford to go to watch more games at Rogers Arena.

Lower the ticket prices in a dark, rebuild area for the Canucks! The real Canucks fans can watch more of the games live instead of the elitist fans, the corporate guys in suits going to the games. These are the guys who don't give a rat's ass about the team.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #16508
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
TradeSedins.com
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #16509
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i think we can win with the sedins. we made it within 1 win away from taking it all. the team that beat us has even OLDER guys and all they did was re-tool. the majority of those same aging core guys (jumbo, marleau) have not even played 1 minute in a stanley cup final.

i would opt to go with the re-tool route. we are not calgary. we actually still have pieces in place. there's no need to panick especially if there is going to be a new coach/voice on the team.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #16510
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
Isn't the definition of insanity failing at something but repeating it over and over again exactly the same way expecting a different result? I feel like that's the Canucks in a nutshell these past few years.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #16511

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
If you look into the idea of "blowing up" the team. Somehow it doesn't really work.

Oilers - 3 #1 picks. Stack with young talent. Still can't make playoffs.
Florida - Sold everything. Signed a bunch of veteran guys. Made playoffs last year not this year.

Now, we can see how Calgary, Dallas, and Buffalo end up after blowing up the team.

But the funny thing is...

teams like NYI after drafting Tavares, they just picked up a bunch of supporting players and look at what they are doing to the Pens.

CLB - No Nash? but they got guys to compete enough and almost made the playoffs.

Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal? We thought it'll be a long time before they make the playoffs but look at them now.

What you see is just bunch of tweaks on the line up. I think once we are able to dump the salaries of Booth/Ballard/Luongo/Malhotra, we have a lot more room to play around with.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #16512
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Hard to judge other teams' performance based on this shortened regular season too, I suspect in a full 82 game season the teams actually making the playoffs would be at least a little bit different.

Blowing up the team and tanking for a few years will not/cannot happen in this market, it will not tolerate it, nor are the returns worth the risk IMO. Even during our dark ages prior to the WCE, there was still no blow up so to speak. Booth and Ballard seem like the obvious buyout candidates, but I haven't read anything definitive on whether both buyouts can be used this offseason, or 1 for this offseason and 1 for the following. Hard to imagine Booth back since he was not even reportedly with the team during the playoffs. But also hard to imagine Ballard coming back with the stability and NTC's on our blueline, and now Tanev and Corrado appearing ready to make next year's roster.

2 of our most valuable tradeable assets currently are Edler and Schneider, Edler's NTC doesn't kick in til July and Schneider doesn't have one. Yeah it sucks to have to move your core players, especially ones that have upside. But you're not getting something useful in return unless you give up something that is useful to somebody else. I'd love to see Schneids develop into an all league goalie here, and I'd love to see Edler refind his game and flourish under a different coach here. But things are stale, something needs to be shaken up. When Roy first arrived it was such a refreshing breath of fresh air to see the team get somebody with actual skill and talent. It didn't translate in the playoffs, but neither did the rest of the roster.

Pens starting Vokoun btw: Penguins to start Vokoun instead of Fleury in Game 5
MAF just being MAF again. I'd love to see the Isles upset the Pens
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #16513
I STILL don't get it

This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #16514
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Pens starting Vokoun btw: Penguins to start Vokoun instead of Fleury in Game 5
MAF just being MAF again. I'd love to see the Isles upset the Pens
Just my luck. Only thing I have left to look forward to is a successful pool.
But Pens are shitting the bed, MAF isn't playing, and I just lost a bunch of Canucks.
So much for stupid faith in my team. (Don't think anyone else invested in Canucks)

Note to self for next season:
Canucks have no offense. Always load up on the team that plays against Canucks. Easy points, and they usually go deep.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #16515
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
just saw a replay of that Sedin "boarding" call - Wow...

IMO, even Bieksa's penalty was iffy
Compare Bieksa's hit which let to the 3rd goal to Marleau's hit on Daniel (IIRC, not Hank I don't think). They were pretty similar yet of course because a Sedin was involved it didn't get called.

There were a lot of iffy calls all series. And it's not like we got blown out except last game. But that was also just a lapse in brain use by Corey for a few mins. The rest of the game looked OK. Game 1/2 also were quite good. Just everything seemed to go in SJS's favor.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #16516

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Canucks Defense is a good competitive core unlike our forwards but whoever is coaching them is trash. The Sharks had no name defencemen yet manage to play tight against the Canucks... Oh right, the Sharks just brought in former norris trophy winner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Robinson
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #16517
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I know you're trying to be realistic with your armchair GMing (and that's good!), but I don't think that team would be much better than this one...

How many guys have they tried on line with Kesler who just "didn't click". I don't know if it's a Kesler thing, or coaching, or what, but trying to build a 2nd line around him is a bad idea IMO. If they have to keep him, it should be in a checking role...
The thing is, having Kesler play a third line checking role at a $5 mill cap hit is too much. If Schroeder is ready to step in to a second line scoring role, it could work, though.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #16518
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
The thing is, having Kesler play a third line checking role at a $5 mill cap hit is too much. If Schroeder is ready to step in to a second line scoring role, it could work, though.
Not if you are Joe Pavalski
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #16519

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Hard to judge other teams' performance based on this shortened regular season too, I suspect in a full 82 game season the teams actually making the playoffs would be at least a little bit different.
Adding to that, the whole theory about how the Canucks suffer the most fatigue due to travel just went out the door. At the start of the season, I thought the 48 game season would help us. Now I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #16520
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Rick Bowness = defense coach.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #16521

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Schroder is RFA, the best for both teams would be

Van: Schneids, Schroeder + Hansen
NJD: Henrique, Carter + Benier + pick
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #16522
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Adding to that, the whole theory about how the Canucks suffer the most fatigue due to travel just went out the door. At the start of the season, I thought the 48 game season would help us. Now I'm not so sure anymore.
all of the injuries we had this season didn't help.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #16523

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Schroder is RFA, the best for both teams would be

Van: Schneids, Schroeder + Hansen
NJD: Henrique, Carter + Benier + pick

Bowness stats: Rick Bowness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BERNIER

No thanks jeff
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #16524