REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #17326
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
@TEAM1040 19s
RT @nhlontsn: BREAKING: The Vancouver Canucks have fired head coach Alain Vigneault and associate coaches Newell Brown and Rick Bowness.
Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #17327

torts would be horrible, hed go crazy on the sedins and give them the gaborik treatment. ruff is similar to av, same shit again! need an offensive coach that can teach d as well. tippett would be best prob, or eakins. or pat quinn
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #17328
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I would love to see ruff just cause the guy doesnt take shit from any ref
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #17329

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
inb4 Scott Arniel is head coach
Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #17330
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Guy Boucher pl0x
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #17331
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

why are some you wanting guy boucher? the guy runs a gimmicky system that worked for only 1 season.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #17332
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
inb4 Scott Arniel is head coach
MG can't be that stupid
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #17333
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #17334
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Tortorella is a fucking clown no thanks

No one out there available now tickles my fancy
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #17335
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Wow, nice to see everyone's so happy about the Canucks firing the winningest coach in their history. "Oh," you say, "but he hasn't won us the cup, so obviously he's a complete bum!"

Alright then, who should we get to fill the slot? You know, that's actually available (that lets Torts out).

"I think we should get Lindy Ruff!" Right, because Ruff has how many cups? Oh yeah, just as many as AV! See if any of this sounds familiar:
Quote:
Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Ruff's coaching career is how close he's come to winning a Stanley Cup without actually winning one.

As an assistant with the Florida Panthers, he reached the finals in 1996 only to fall to the Avalanche in four straight games. Ruff took over as the bench boss in Buffalo in 1998. Since then, he has reached the Eastern Conference final three times and the Stanley Cup final once without capturing the ultimate prize.
Yep, sounds like a major upgrade to me!

Hmmm, Tippett? Let's see... also the same number of cups as AV and Ruff, has never even made the finals.

What else ya got, guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #17336
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
I'm not paticularly happy about the AV firing nor do I know anyone who would be an improvement over AV

However I think a change in the system/philosophy was required and the coach is the easiest fall guy
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #17337

way to overreact, people are chiming in on who they think will do go. av lost the room, meaning players dont listen anymore. that means his time is done, no point for him to be here
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #17338

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Wow, nice to see everyone's so happy about the Canucks firing the winningest coach in their history. "Oh," you say, "but he hasn't won us the cup, so obviously he's a complete bum!"

Alright then, who should we get to fill the slot? You know, that's actually available (that lets Torts out).

"I think we should get Lindy Ruff!" Right, because Ruff has how many cups? Oh yeah, just as many as AV! See if any of this sounds familiar:

Hmmm, Tippett? Let's see... also the same number of cups as AV and Ruff, has never even made the finals.

What else ya got, guys?
Yeah, winningest coach, coaching the most talented team(s) in Canuck history.

Weak argument about hiring a new coach with "the same amount of cups as AV".

Coaches with cup rings are rarely ever on the "coach free agency"

They're either

1. Already a coach
2. Retired

Rarely are they available/fired afaik
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #17339
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

What else ya got, guys?
O ok
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #17340
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Wait until end of June for Tippett or Eakins, coach that can get the most out of our players. We know Booth, Edler and Bieksa can play better what we see now.

Ruff similar to AV. No thanks to another Presidents Cup

Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #17341

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 2m
Does Dallas Eakins availability as of last night have anything to do with timing of a #Canucks announcement?

interesting at the very least as he is a top choice for any of the coaching vacancies in the league
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #17342
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #17343

Guy Boucher: After tremendous success in Major Junior and the AHL, Boucher was hired by the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2010 and led the team to a 46-25-11 record and the Eastern Conference Finals. He was praised for his tactical acumen and had many surprised that he didn’t receive more votes for the Jack Adams award. Then the Lightning failed to make the playoffs and got off to a poor start this season and he was fired. I, for one, would like to see how he would do coaching a team with decent goaltending.

Lindy Ruff: Ruff was the head coach in Buffalo for a whopping 14 seasons, but was fired in his 15th after a 6-10-1 start. He coached the Sabres to the Stanley Cup Finals back in 1999 and to the Conference Finals three other times. In his last five seasons, however, the Sabres failed to make the playoffs in three of them and lost in the first round in the other two. He has never coached a team that spends to the salary cap, however, and has a sterling reputation.

Guy Carbonneau: In his first season as head coach of the Canadiens in 2006-07, they missed the playoffs. The next season, Carbonneau coached them to a division title, then lost in the second round of the playoffs. Carbonneau was the runner-up for the Jack Adams award to Bruce Boudreau. The next season, he was fired, even as the Canadiens eventually made the playoffs.

Andy Murray: Currently coaching college hockey at Western Michigan, Murray previously coached the Kings and the Blues. He was a runner-up for the Jack Adams award in 2009 after guiding the Blues from 15th in the conference at the All-Star break to the playoffs, where they promptly got swept by the Canucks.

Ron Wilson: Wilson is a hard coach to judge. He coached the 1997-98 Capitals to the Cup Finals and was behind the bench for some of the Sharks’ best regular seasons, even as they never made it to the Finals. Then he got hired in Toronto to coach the Maple Leafs and got fired partway through a fourth straight unsuccessful season. Do you judge him for his failure in Toronto where he had very little to work with? How much credit do you give him for USA’s silver medal in the 2010 Olympics?

Jacques Martin: Martin is one of the most experienced coaches available, but he’s faced criticism that he hasn’t been able to adapt to the realities of the post-lockout NHL. Still, the Ottawa Senators never missed the playoffs while he was behind the bench, leading them to four 100+ point seasons. He may be too defensively-oriented to fit with the Canucks, however.

Brent Sutter: Sutter had some success coaching New Jersey, but flamed out in three seasons with Calgary. How much of that should be on him, however, rather than , no success in Calgary, but how much blame should he receive for that and how much should be on his brother, Darryl, the General Manager? By all accounts, Sutter is a fine coach and deserves another shot at an NHL head coaching job.

Don Hay: The current coach of the Vancouver Giants had two brief stints as an NHL head coach, getting the Coyotes to the playoffs in 1997 and lasting 68 games with the Flames in 2000-01. Hay’s success in the WHL has been impressive, leading the Giants to a Memorial Cup in 2007 after winning it twice with the Kamloops Blazers. His name is frequently brought up for an NHL coaching job, but the question is how interested he is in returning to the NHL.

Mike Keenan or Marc Crawford: Just kidding. Sort of.

Assistants

John Stevens: After a stint as the Philadelphia Flyers’ head coach, he was hired as an assistant with the Los Angeles Kings, focussing on defence and the penalty kill. The Kings have been among the league leaders in penalty kill percentage and goals against while he’s been behind the bench and he won the Stanley Cup with the Kings in 2012.

Larry Robinson: Robinson was the head coach for the New Jersey Devils’ 2000 Stanley Cup and their 2001 loss in the Finals. Other than a previous stint as the Kings’ head coach, he’s mostly been an assistant, joining the San Jose Sharks this past season. He was credited with the Sharks’ improvement on the penalty kill as they went from 29th in the league in 2011-12 to 7th in 2012-13.

John Anderson: Anderson was a very successful AHL coach with the Chicago Wolves, but his only shot at a head-coaching job in the NHL was with the sad-sack Atlanta Thrashers. He’s currently an assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes under Dave Tippett.

Brad Shaw: Shaw’s only shot at being a head coach was as an interim coach for the New York Islanders. He’s been an assistant with the St. Louis Blues since 2006 and was voted as the assistant coach who most deserved to be a head coach in the 2011-12 NHLPA player’s poll.

Scott Gordon: Gordon was given no chance to succeed in his first job as an NHL head coach, as he was hired by the brutally awful New York Islanders in 2008. He was previously the AHL coach of the year in 2008 and seems like a good candidate to make his way back into the ranks of NHL head coaches in short order. He’s currently an assistant coach with the Leafs.

Tom Renney: Renney is an unlikely candidate, not because he’s a particularly bad coach, but because of the optics. Renney had some success coaching the New York Rangers, but most recently coached the Edmonton Oilers to last and second-last place finishes. He’s currently serving as an assistant with the Detroit Red Wings, however, which isn’t a bad place to be.
AHL and Junior coaches

Dallas Eakins: Eakins has been repeatedly rumoured for multiple NHL coaching jobs and they’ve picked up again recently. He has coached the Toronto Marlies for four seasons, losing in the Calder Cup Finals last year.

Willie Desjardins: It may be his first year as a coach in the AHL, but it seems likely that Desjardins won’t be coaching in the AHL for very long, as he was just named the AHL coach of the year and will be a likely candidate for several NHL coaching jobs in the near future.

Troy Ward: Ward has been a fantastic coach in Abbotsford and was rumoured for the Calgary job before the Flames hired Bob Hartley. Flames Nation went over the many reasons why should have gotten the job and most of them are good reasons for another NHL team, like the Canucks, to take a look at him.

Mike Johnston: Johnston was an assistant coach with the Kings and Canucks and has now proven himself as a head coach with the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL, leading them to two Western Conference finals. He may not have any connection with Gillis, but he is familiar with the Canucks organization.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #17344

Strombone @strombone1
Since our 1st year when we arrived together, AV would always tell me that he'd be gone before I would. I guess he was right. Very ironic....

-------------------------------------------

Alain Vigneault @Coach_AV
Sources say I'll be fired today, Poppycock!

Oh wait a sec, I'll be right back. Mike wants to talk to me....

#TSN #nhl #canucks
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #17345
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #17346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Don Hay: The current coach of the Vancouver Giants had two brief stints as an NHL head coach, getting the Coyotes to the playoffs in 1997 and lasting 68 games with the Flames in 2000-01. Hay’s success in the WHL has been impressive, leading the Giants to a Memorial Cup in 2007 after winning it twice with the Kamloops Blazers. His name is frequently brought up for an NHL coaching job, but the question is how interested he is in returning to the NHL.
Would love to see the Hazer behind the Canucks bench, but I don't think it will happen. He's been offered several NHL HC jobs the past few years (especially since the Giants won the Memorial Cup) but has always preferred being the "molder of young talent".

Quote:
Mike Keenan or Marc Crawford: Just kidding. Sort of.
You realize that's a stoning offense, right?
Quote:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #17347

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
-not a surprise at all that Gillis fired AV and the assistant coaches.

He did say about two weeks ago in his press conference that he would "reinvent the team."

It starts with a new philosophy for the team's play, new playing system. Only a new coach can help instill that system that is in line with the kind of playing style that Gillis envisions for the team.

I'm thinking that the big boss Aquilini had some input on this decision. If you're the boss seeing your team lose badly in the past two year's of playoffs in the first round, you're bound to be angry and demand changes.

This firing decision is also a case of a general manager covering his own ass, protecting his job, by firing a coach that he did not hire in the first place.

It is what it is.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #17348

Edler Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Hamhuis Corrado

is legit defense, better than LA and CHI under a better coach

WTB: 3rd line C for Ballard - Hello Vermette
Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #17349

Katie Maximick @KMaximick
"I can play! I can play!" RT @DixonTam Does anyone else think Keith Ballard is doing a little dance today? #Canucks
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #17350
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I'm not paticularly happy about the AV firing nor do I know anyone who would be an improvement over AV

However I think a change in the system/philosophy was required and the coach is the easiest fall guy
Posted via RS Mobile
Agree with not know who an improvement would be. But the fact that the players weren't responding to AV's style/system/adjustments would indicate that pretty much anybody would be an improvement at this point. Going with a well tenured coach with an impressive resume at this point is not a priority at all IMO, finding a guy who can best connect with the group of players you want to have moving forward is critical. How many NHL wins did Dan Bylsma have before he took over the Pens coaching job?

I'm happy this move was mode. Not because the coach is the easiest fall guy, but there are some systemic issues with the team's approach and game that were clear for all of us to see, yet no adjustments were made. Maybe they were made by the coach, but the players didn't buy in and execute. Either case, it comes down to the coach to get the most out of his players, and I would sure like to hope that our players have much more to give than what they showed last season.

I'm really surprised by the amount of sympathy the general public has for AV, turning their backs on MG instead. Not to say MG isn't under any pressure, he most definitely is, but it was clear the coach wasn't getting 100% out of the players he was given, I'd argue if he was even getting 75% out of them.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread