REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The Business and Financial Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/business-financial-forum_303/)
-   -   A safe way to receive money via online? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669673-safe-way-receive-money-via-online.html)

hear-it-first 06-16-2012 06:02 PM

A safe way to receive money via online?

Hi, I need to receive some money from my friend who is from Asia. She wants to use online banking to send me the funds, but I am not comfortable sending her my bank account # and information by e-mail. What is a safer method of receiving the funds?

winson604 06-16-2012 06:04 PM

Why don't you call them and tell them your account info over the phone then?

drakeD 06-16-2012 06:13 PM

she can send you a wire transfer but it depends on how much it is b/c there are costs for receiving wires. Check with your bank and see what information is needed and see how much it costs to receive a wire. If its a large amount then wire would be safer but if its a very small amount then don't waste your time.

4444 06-16-2012 06:34 PM

western union is good enough, $9 or so to send, probably same to receive

if not, paypal?

Nssan 06-16-2012 06:52 PM

Is your friend in China or other asian countries? In China, it would be best to wire money over, there will be roughly $25 CDN of fee to send on their side, and $10 in fees on your side to receive. Any major bank in China used to send, will arrive in Canada less than 3 days, so its not too bad. If you feel unsafe about giving your current bank account, if you can always open a new empty bank account and send them the numbers. They can't really do much with it.

sh0n 06-19-2012 02:45 PM

Bank Wire is probably the safest.

The above poster is pretty much dead on about the fees. Will cost your friend $ to send and will cost you $ to receive.

Even if you gave out your bank account info to your friend they wouldn't be able to hurt you or do anything bad with it.

tiger_handheld 06-19-2012 04:44 PM

If you trust the person, western union / money gram all work.

Alternatively, she can send funds over to my account and we will go to the teller and get cash.
My fee is :troll:

Jassanova 06-21-2012 02:33 PM

Interac e-mail transfer. She just has to put in your email address, no banking info. You click the link in the e-mail and redeem the money transfer when you log in to your online banking system.

Nssan 06-21-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jassanova (Post 7954155)
Interac e-mail transfer. She just has to put in your email address, no banking info. You click the link in the e-mail and redeem the money transfer when you log in to your online banking system.

Not possible from China. That only works within Canada.

Trust me, I am working in China now and I've thought of many ways to get money to Canada.