REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Michelin Power Pure Tires (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669794-michelin-power-pure-tires.html)

Klobbersaurus 06-19-2012 05:30 PM

Michelin Power Pure Tires

anyone running these on their bikes? i've done 2 emergency stops and the rears have locked up both times and slid, my old tires didnt do that but i think those were bridgestones

CharlieH 06-19-2012 06:56 PM

the pures are supposed to be pretty good. and your rears will lock up even if they were race slicks lol. hard braking = all the weight shifts forward, and the rears become useless.

edit: oh and have you checked your tire pressures? the dealer and some shops will set the rears at around 36+ to accommodate heavier riders or in case you ride with a passenger. lower it to 30-32 and you should notice better grip and a softer ride. tread life will not be as good though.

hillmar 06-19-2012 07:08 PM

I'm running the pure's myself ... and yes the rear loves to lock up if you brake hard with them. Love them so much!! I usually like to lock up the rears, let them loose, and hard brake the fronts. :)

Klobbersaurus 06-19-2012 10:49 PM

my old gsxr never had the rear brakes lock up on me when i did hard braking, i think they were bridgestones tho

hillmar 06-20-2012 05:29 AM

Honestly, you really shouldn't need to use your rear brakes during emergency braking. Try to get familiar with your front braking, take your bike to a empty parking lot and see the braking difference a little more squeeze to the front will do. (Try to get it, where you can feel the rear tire is just about to lift off) Honestly in a emergency situation, the front brake is really all you need.

CharlieH 06-20-2012 09:15 AM

it has nothing to do with the tire. if you're locking up the rear then it means you're using too much rear brake. you have 4pot calipers and 2 disks in the front for a reason

Klobbersaurus 06-20-2012 03:57 PM

i keep thinking i will endo with this bike haha, never had this feeling with my old bike, man i miss her

JDął 06-22-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieH (Post 7952891)
it has nothing to do with the tire. if you're locking up the rear then it means you're using too much rear brake. you have 4pot calipers and 2 disks in the front for a reason

+1 I can lock up my rear with a race slick at optimal temperature, doesn't mean it's lacking grip :fuckthatshit: The Pure's are pretty good for a street tire.

racerman88 06-23-2012 12:45 PM

Just practice your hard/emergency braking in a parking lot to get a better feel for your bike, b/c you shouldn't be locking up the rear brakes. the other thing you can do is always scan ahead so that you are more aware of your surroundings