REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Shady Dealerships? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670070-shady-dealerships.html)

LP700-4 06-25-2012 12:14 PM

Shady Dealerships?

Long story short, after a little convincing by myself, parents are willing to take a look at a 07/08 TL Type-S as a new family car to replace our shitmobile.

I've been looking all over autotrader and craigslist and all the listings are from shady surrey people and shady surrey dealerships.

This guy has the best price we've seen yet, but is at Surrey Auto Liquidation and has 126k KMs
2007 ACURA TL Type-s NO Accidents, WARRANTY! Type S BLOW OUT

Another one is at Hare Motors with a pretty rare colour (KBP) and a fair-ish price at around 95k kms
*** 2008 ACURA TL TYPE S ***

Final one is at Lougheed Acura which is probably the best dealership of the 3, is WDP has 140k KMs though which is pretty high?
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...057875276.html

What are people's opinions on this? Is it generally safe to buy from these dealerships? I've looked and only found 1 review on Hare motors that was a negative one. Nothing at Surrey Auto Liquidations yet.

Jgresch 06-25-2012 12:20 PM

From Surrey Auto TL ad....

Vehicle Details
BLOW UP SALE!!!!! ONLY THIS WEEK!!!

i-VTEC 06-25-2012 12:28 PM

It doesn't have to be a TL or Acura does it?
If Acura a must then what about TSX?

Personally, when considering 100K + KM, I would only go for official brand dealership like Lougheed Acura instead of small dealership like Hare Motors (unless they are well known)

100K KM isn't that high, but to a point where people tend to sell there car at. While for some, people pick up these deals.

And it really depends how it was driven like highway mileage? Given on average a person could drive 15K KM a year, if the car is a 08 Model, should be around 60~75K KM.

If carproof shows clean record like accident free or even minor accident, along with regular maintenance papers, I really don't see why it is not a good idea to buy it as long as the price is reasonable.

Also if you are considering buying from a smaller dealership, you can also get the car vehicle inspected. Go to the official dealship also BCAA vehicle inspection, they are only less than $200 it really worth getting those report, as few of RS members have suggested me when I was considering an used car

punkwax 06-25-2012 03:27 PM

I'd be a little more patient and wait for the right one to come along. You've taken the time to convince your parents, so make sure you don't spend their money on another "shitmobile".

If you can't wait, then go with Lougheed Acura.

Tomu 06-25-2012 05:37 PM

Hey op I bought my 08 tl-s from lougheed Acura last summer and so far zero problems whatsoever so I would personally recommend them over the other second hand car dealers. You can look for spencer he gave me a pretty good deal and would prob give u a better peace of mind in terms of ur vehicle condition. Hope this helps. You can say u were referred by Tom who bought a 08 kbp tl-s last April.

anti-vip 06-25-2012 05:40 PM

for me going to bigger dealership for used car is better than small shady dealerships

i-VTEC 06-25-2012 10:35 PM

It doesn't always have to be a brand dealership, it can be like Brian Jessel Autohaus =) just not King of Cars or LP-Auto etc... lol

EvoFire 06-25-2012 11:35 PM

I'm sure even the shadiest of dealerships have some legit cars, you just have to work for it.

Get it checked out by a mechanic, BCAA, or even a dealership. If they have nothing to hide, they will most likely let you do it.

If they have service records even better.

Third thing I've learned that's specific to Hondas and Acuras. All of them have their VINs stickered on all removable body parts such as bumpers, doors, front fenders etc. Yes you can replicate those, but most won't. If all the stickers are all there, chances are the car hasn't been in a bad accident where parts have to be replaced. Of course no guarantees if they understeered into a curb and fucked up the drivetrain and suspension and spared the body, but that easy to spot.

GLOW 06-26-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d87c (Post 7958893)
It doesn't always have to be a brand dealership, it can be like Brian Jessel Autohaus =) just not King of Cars or LP-Auto etc... lol

king of cars - always see their ads on CL and looks shady as hell :lawl:

Energy 06-26-2012 09:57 AM

The one at Lougheed Acura seems like the best choice.

LP700-4 06-26-2012 09:59 AM

But it does have a small blemish at the front of the car and the highest mileage of them all. :okay:

I wont argue, obviously Lougheed Acura will give the best peace of mind, but is it the best deal out of them all?

i-VTEC 06-26-2012 10:10 AM

"a small blemish" Tell them either lower the asking price or fix it for you.

"Highest Mileage" First of all, we are talking about Honda/Acura, its not like we are talking about American Cars. Honda/Acura are reliable and buying from Acura Dealership makes it safer.

Like I said before, if you like the car from Surrey Auto or Hare's Motor, bring the car to nearest
1. Acura Dealership vehicle inspected (less than $150 + Tax, they will tell you if the car using VIN # has update or recall, if parts needed to be replaced or service, they will quote you how much to get it done)
2. and get another say from BCAA ($185 + Tax, they will even tell you if the price is reasonable, they can also to inspection on the spot).
3. Look at carproof, major or minor accident or none at all
4. If there are service record or ask Jaemc to check if the previous owner have maintenance at any Acura location and he can give you a list of maintenance was done.

bing 06-26-2012 10:58 AM

I'd rather get a low km TL than a high km TL-S.
Plus, you'd get a lot more choice since there are more for sale.

white rocket 06-28-2012 10:40 AM

Get the vehicle checked out by an independant mechanic that YOU trust. Whether the dealer is shady or not, the truth about the car will come out during an inspection. This is the only way to be safe.