REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC vehicle transfer and accidents over $2K (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670226-icbc-vehicle-transfer-accidents-over-%242k.html)

freakshow 06-28-2012 04:13 PM

ICBC vehicle transfer and accidents over $2K

If when I bought a car from someone, they checked off "no accidents over $2000", but the CarProof reveals accidents over $2000, what are the possible outcomes? Are there any legal implications or liabilities for the seller down the road?

q0192837465 06-28-2012 09:08 PM

I think like any civil suits, unless u can prove that the seller intentionally check the wrong box and u suffer loss because of it, nothing will come out of it. But I can be totally off the mark.

mmmk 06-29-2012 09:23 AM

^
Probably true. Also, if it wasn't you who caused the $2000+ accidents, I don't think you can get in trouble for it.

For example, when you buy a used car, you don't do a CarProof report. So you wouldn't know if there had been an $2000+ accident, unless you got into one yourself.

heleu 06-29-2012 09:49 AM

...did you buy it from a dealer? My friend bought a used S2000 from a dealer that stated the car had been in no accidents. Carproof showed an accident and after a lengthy process he got his money back after complaining to the car dealers association.

too_slow 06-29-2012 10:59 AM

Can the seller and the buyer negotiate for a 'settlement' to resolve the error before escalating it further?

(Assuming that it's a private deal)
You can't really sue unless you can prove that you have suffered a loss due to the 'false misrepresentation.' Do you still have a copy of the ad? Does it explicitly state that 'no accidents above $2000?' Was the purchase price considerable lower than cars that are 'mint' during the time of the sale? You have to do a bit of homework before you can 'sue.'

freakshow 06-29-2012 12:46 PM

Thanks for the input all. I'm not concerned enough about it to sue, the price was reasonable even with the accident. I'm really just curious about what the implications are for incorrectly filling out the transfer form..

smoothie. 06-29-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 7962365)
Can the seller and the buyer negotiate for a 'settlement' to resolve the error before escalating it further?

(Assuming that it's a private deal)
You can't really sue unless you can prove that you have suffered a loss due to the 'false misrepresentation.' Do you still have a copy of the ad? Does it explicitly state that 'no accidents above $2000?' Was the purchase price considerable lower than cars that are 'mint' during the time of the sale? You have to do a bit of homework before you can 'sue.'

isnt the loss in resale value?