REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Harvard scientists reverse the ageing process in mice – now for humans (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670273-harvard-scientists-reverse-ageing-process-mice-%96-now-humans.html)

StaxBundlez 06-29-2012 07:09 PM

Harvard scientists reverse the ageing process in mice – now for humans

Harvard scientists were surprised that they saw a dramatic reversal, not just a slowing down, of the ageing in mice. Now they believe they might be able to regenerate human organs

Harvard scientists reverse the ageing process in mice

"These were severely aged animals, but after a month of treatment they showed a substantial restoration, including the growth of new neurons in their brains," said DePinho

one thing comes to mind when I read this...

StylinRed 06-29-2012 07:24 PM

meh like the harvard guy that found a way to create teeth the media made a big hoopla over it but what they didnt say is that he just created a lump of mush

FerrariEnzo 06-29-2012 09:28 PM

dont mess with nature... its only natural to age...

whats the side effect to injecting yourself with this stuff?

MG1 06-29-2012 09:30 PM

Logging onto RS has reversed my ageing........... no shit.

?uestlove 06-29-2012 11:35 PM

sweet now when chicks say they're 24, they're actually 96.

nice one, science.

ziggyx 06-29-2012 11:41 PM

World wide one child policy coming up? lol

Culverin 06-29-2012 11:55 PM

The singularity approaches quickly.

Shorn 06-30-2012 12:25 AM

some benjamin button shit going on lol.

StylinRed 06-30-2012 01:57 AM

Coming Soon to you

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TmaQbRKTIi...600/poster.jpg

SkinnyPupp 06-30-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7962825)
dont mess with nature... its only natural to age...

whats the side effect to injecting yourself with this stuff?

You turn into a giant rat monster, and have the urge to live in the sewers

NeoKaze92 06-30-2012 04:05 AM

the study is to regenerate new cells, not bring dead cells back to life. So a more fitting trailer should be the Hulk or Wolverine =D

ilovebacon 06-30-2012 04:29 AM

for a sec i thought it was resident evil.

registrar 06-30-2012 09:11 AM

Yeah, the green thing we have seen it in Resident Evil... lol

Matlock 06-30-2012 09:27 AM

twitchyzero 06-30-2012 11:01 AM

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...waixo1_500.gif

Hehe 06-30-2012 01:49 PM

Lol... I still remember when I went in the movies late and the Umbrella ads was playing. For a sec I was like "shut up and take my money" :fuckthatshit:

Mr.HappySilp 06-30-2012 03:12 PM

woot! Soon there will be zombies!!!1 Time to gear up!

AW607 06-30-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7963054)
You turn into a giant rat monster, and have the urge to live in the sewers

http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF19..._Hero_Team.jpg

?

Yodamaster 07-01-2012 12:58 AM

I don't know why people would want to live forever, that's assuming that this makes that possible.

I want to die, but only when my body decides it's time, I want to know that I accomplished something in a finite amount of time before I pass on, if you live forever, there is no challenge to life.

The only splinter of desire I have to live forever is to see what man kind will accomplish in the future, and/or be able to explore the universe on my own, without a body... it's hard to explain.

I guess what I mean is that I would prefer to be omnipotent, not quite there but still concious and able to experiment with reality, not to rule anything or anyone, but to... watch... ugh. Whenever I get to that part I suddenly lack the ability to describe it..

I just want to.... be... there? I want to know what "real" is, I want to explore what "real" is, what makes things the way they are without being limited to a fragile human body. I want to be able to venture into space without being restricted by the lack of air, I want to explore the inside of a star without being incinerated, I want to watch the planets orbit the sun from far away...

Ulic Qel-Droma 07-01-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 7963800)
I don't know why people would want to live forever, that's assuming that this makes that possible.

I want to die, but only when my body decides it's time, I want to know that I accomplished something in a finite amount of time before I pass on, if you live forever, there is no challenge to life.

The only splinter of desire I have to live forever is to see what man kind will accomplish in the future, and/or be able to explore the universe on my own, without a body... it's hard to explain.

I guess what I mean is that I would prefer to be omnipotent, not quite there but still concious and able to experiment with reality, not to rule anything or anyone, but to... watch... ugh. Whenever I get to that part I suddenly lack the ability to describe it..

I just want to.... be... there? I want to know what "real" is, I want to explore what "real" is, what makes things the way they are without being limited to a fragile human body. I want to be able to venture into space without being restricted by the lack of air, I want to explore the inside of a star without being incinerated, I want to watch the planets orbit the sun from far away...

lol how cocky of you to say if one were to live forever, there would be no challenge in life.

what does living forever have to do with challenges?

you think someone that is 3000 years old or 10 000 or 1 000 000 years old has figured out the meaning of life? or how to create life? or how exactly the universe works?

don't you think those things will come with time regardless if how old one is? it's the advancement of the entire race, not just a single human.

they're still human, with human emotions and human limitations.

of course one would want to see what man accomplishes. perhaps you can pass down knowledge that is lost with death, things only one realises after living many lifetimes.

to live forever is also to die for certain.

if you live forever, the chances of dying from an external cause is 100% in the long run (infinity).
accidents happen all the time, if you live forever, chances are, you're going to die from a fatal accident, big or small.

if there is anything after death, and death is certain in the long run, and life is limited, why not live life as long as you can. death is waiting no matter what. in the moment of death, your million year life span, will only seem like it was a blink of an eye, insignificant to what you're about to experience.

Yodamaster 07-01-2012 12:16 PM

I just can't see how mortal life would be interesting for yourself after the average 80 year life span.

If you, and only you could live forever, would you? I wouldn't.

To live forever means watching everyone you associate with grow old and die, I would not want to associate with anybody due to the emotional stress of knowing that you will see them die.

Trying to outlast nature is just greedy anyway, our bodies are designed to die at one point in time, and I don't like the idea of people messing with that, do you even know what the consequences of people living forever would be anyway?

What you would be doing if you released this to the masses is halting progress, you wouldn't be allowing the next generation to create their own society because of you and your ideals still being here.

Knowing that you only have 60-80 years to live is the challenge, life needs a shape, and a life that is (potentially) infinite has no shape.

MG1 07-01-2012 07:42 PM

^I hear you, man...........

but, on the other hand, to see tits and fine ass forever......... to be stuck at 18, FTW!

like the saying goes, "So many women, so little time............"

pretsel 07-05-2012 02:17 PM

Harvard scientists reverse the ageing process in mice

Apparently the disadvantage is that it can increase the risk of cancer in humans.

"Repeating the trick in humans will be more difficult. Mice make telomerase throughout their lives, but the enzyme is switched off in adult humans, an evolutionary compromise that stops cells growing out of control and turning into cancer. Raising levels of telomerase in people might slow the ageing process, but it makes the risk of cancer soar."