REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
putting it in neutral and braking is a BAD idea.. what if you need to swerve to avoid the car in front of you.. your first reaction (if your still a novice driver, driving a manual transmission) is to step on the gas to change lanes.. your not gona remember what gear your in...

just press on the brakes and down shift slowly through your gears and listen to that sweet sound
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts

These videos were a huge help when I was on my way to learning to drive stick, you should check them out, there's also a heel-toe video for you there as well. I don't do heel-toe at all to be honest, I don't think it's necessary for me. I do what most people do, just downshift as your car slows down and throw it in neutral once you're at a near complete stop. I watch the opposite light at an intersection during a red and throw it in first ahead of time, and away you go. Sometimes I get lazy and just throw it in neutral approaching a red light
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
heel-toe every day, every corner!
BECAUSE RACECAR!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
its a lot to take in when you first start but after you get the hang of it its all natural, all i do now is look at the speed to make sure im not speeding. only stall sometimes when im not paying attention lol.

take your car on a hill and practice hill starts, get the car going, stop and repeat
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The first piece of advise I will give you is to learn to spell the word BRAKES.

Berz out.
Advice
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
how to drive stick manual basics (remake with uphill starts) - YouTube

How to Heel and toe, rev match, and double clutch - YouTube

These videos were a huge help when I was on my way to learning to drive stick, you should check them out, there's also a heel-toe video for you there as well. I don't do heel-toe at all to be honest, I don't think it's necessary for me. I do what most people do, just downshift as your car slows down and throw it in neutral once you're at a near complete stop. I watch the opposite light at an intersection during a red and throw it in first ahead of time, and away you go. Sometimes I get lazy and just throw it in neutral approaching a red light
+1 to these videos lol, I watched them even before I got my first manual. Still stalled like an idiot for 20 minute when learning though

And I only downshift once in a while, especially if some LGs are nearby Can't heel toe to save my life lol.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakucaekz View Post
+1 to these videos lol, I watched them even before I got my first manual. Still stalled like an idiot for 20 minute when learning though
Should have seen me on inclines during my first couple practices. I probably burned through a fair bit of my clutch during those nights, could smell the smoke every couple minutes
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It takes a bit of time to learn & practice....

Go step by step...no rush learning rev-match & heel & toe etc! My dad always remind me to keep my eyes on the road & try not to look at the tach. Listen to the engine & feel how your mazda3 response through out the gears if possible. The 07+'s MT models feels much better than 04-06 imo.

Yes it's cheaper to replace brakes BUT make sure u don't roll down a hill in neutral, gear down slowly like what FerrariEnzo suggested. Use e-brake to help launching the car off a dead stop while going uphill...when the car is sitting at a light going uphill(e.g. the hill at boundary & kingsway southbound), foot on the brake, put it in neutral, clutch out, & apply e-brake.

Btw, don't forget to rotate your tires every once in awhile & keep an eye on the tire pressure on these mazda3. U don't want the massive rear negative camber kill the tires. Do a wheel alignment done after u got new tires/shocks replacement in the future to make sure the toe are OK too.
spoonek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #34
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I heel toe as much as possible on the miata because it's just that easy, on my daily Astra it's physically impossible and I only rev match for acceleration, on the 997 you can only heel toe under heavy braking aka, never. Heel toe when you feel comfortable, chances are if it feels awkward you shouldn't bother. Also try not to force it into first gear when coming to a stop
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
My car isn't manual but I pop it into neutral when I'm at a light. Gear down when I'm slowing down but won't come to a complete stop.

Edit: I pop it into neutral when I'm driving a car that's manual.
uhh... can you explain what the benefit is to putting an automatic car to neutral when you're at a red light?
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
uhh... can you explain what the benefit is to putting an automatic car to neutral when you're at a red light?
I should have worded that A LOT better.. I went after I read it.

I drive an automatic. I work at a dealership that deals with mostly manuals. If I'm on the streets, I put it into neutral (not gearing down) down if I'm approaching a light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
I always down shift, I do it because that way I always stay in a range where I can pull away from a bad situation. If you stay in the same gear you will have to jump into the right gear to pull yourself away imo
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #38
I don't get it

I usually downshift from 5 > 4 or 4 > 3 then neutral, brake. Less wear on the clutch. Replaced one before and it was $_$ . I sometimes rev match just for fun and I think it doesn't wear your clutch as much I believe.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
there isnt one...it actually wastes more fuel because if you notice with most auto cars...neutral actually revs higher than when its in drive at a dead stop.

also the proper way of driving a stick is to downshift...if you pop it into neutral while stopping during the icbc road test you will fail...it also helps you stop faster in emergency situations due to the transmission gears slowing the car down as well as the brakes.
92 Ford Festiva aka the FASTiva (Big GoKart)
08 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
90 Acura Integra Beater (Sold)
97 Jeep Tj Sahara (Sold)
93 Si Hatch Turbo'd IC'd 11 psi (Sold)
1992 Jeep Cherokee LTD (RIP)
1990 MitsubishEagle Talon Tsi (Sold)
brute_4s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #40
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanks for the input playas.

Good to know about the ICBC road test, brute.

Sometimes when I'm approaching a light that is about to go red and there are cars in front of me, I start braking with the intention of downshifting right after. However, the stop comes up very soon and I don't get the chance to. I believe it's better to start downshifting straight away and to anticipate the stop (e.g., 4>3, 3>2, 2>N + brake). Is this accurate?
Ivan Petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #41
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You don't always have to downshift. If the light changes suddenly and you don't have the time to downshift don't try. I usually do 4 into 2 with a rev match but thats cause my ratio is close. Just do whatever feels comfortable with you. When it comes to everyday driving whatever you feel comfortable with is best.
92 Ford Festiva aka the FASTiva (Big GoKart)
08 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
90 Acura Integra Beater (Sold)
97 Jeep Tj Sahara (Sold)
93 Si Hatch Turbo'd IC'd 11 psi (Sold)
1992 Jeep Cherokee LTD (RIP)
1990 MitsubishEagle Talon Tsi (Sold)
brute_4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #42

Didn't read all the replies but I'll say this:

Learn how to rev-match and heel-toe properly, and use your intuition. Whether or not you should use any of these techniques depends on your speed, traffic, gradient, etc...

Often I will downshift just one gear when if the light ahead just turned red because if it's just one gear I can do it without letting go of the gas...yes I am a lazy fuck.

Heel-toe is fairly useful when you're slowing down for turns WITHOUT stopping.

Try not to coast in neutral a lot, it COULD BE dangerous...although I do coast downhill to save gas if the road is clear.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #43
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
Try not to coast in neutral a lot, it COULD BE dangerous...although I do coast downhill to save gas if the road is clear.
coasting downhill in gear saves more gas.
mx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #44
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
On the ICBC test, the car is allowed to be in neutral at a dead stop. On mine, I went 4,3,2, clutch, stop, neutral. If it's a stop sign, downshift regularly, but don't put it into neutral.

As far as all the cars I've driven, avoid first gear unless you're starting off from a standstill.
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Car should never be in neutral while moving.

Just leave it in the gear until you fully stop, depress clutch when the RPM's drop too low, or you could downshift halfway and continue to stop. NEVER LEAVE IT NEUTRAL.

Also, it doesn't save gas while you're coasting down a hill...the engine is using fuel to keep it idling. It won't use any fuel when you release the gas pedal at a mid to mid high rpm. Engine braking is excellent for a car, allows the PCV suck out a lot of stuff and puts the crankcase under a heavy vacuum.

Also, what if your car turns off? If you're in neutral, the engine will stop spinning, meaning NO power steering and you have a few brake pumps left.

If you're in gear, you still have power steering and engine vacuum.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx555 View Post
coasting downhill in gear saves more gas.
Only if you're going to stop/slow down soon after the hill.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #47
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
if you cant take your car up a steep hill in your first week.. you fail!!

On my third day of driving manual transmission, i told myself, must try steep hill..

then I though of Boundary and Hastings
I started near the top of the hill, as thats the steepest part, so I could get the feel of roll back start.. this was at night around 10 or 11pm so there isnt any traffic, which is good...
My first attempt, stalled right off the bat and rolled down about a foot
Second attempt, rev'd up too 5k rpm then freaked out and stalled
Third attempt, I was like , then I was like..
So happy with my achivement I was yelling in joy then I realized I was
Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #48
Better safe than Surrey

If your in a fwd car you can cheat on hill starts by using your e-brake.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
If your in a fwd car you can cheat on hill starts by using your e-brake.
Never really got the hang of that haha
I always just went the conventional way and rolling down and up, for me it's all about quick footwork from the brakes to gas
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #50
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I heel toe as much as possible on the miata because it's just that easy, on my daily Astra it's physically impossible and I only rev match for acceleration, on the 997 you can only heel toe under heavy braking aka, never. Heel toe when you feel comfortable, chances are if it feels awkward you shouldn't bother. Also try not to force it into first gear when coming to a stop
Ditto, I heel toe all the time on the street. May just be because my pedal position is very comfortable and easy to do, but actually feeling the downshift is a pet peeve for me when riding along in someones car lol.

I usually never downshift into second when coming to a stop. Third at the lowest, then just pop it out of gear to the stop since I'm already at a pretty slow speed when under 2000rpm in 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote