REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Shopping in Washington No Tax? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670518-shopping-washington-no-tax.html)

Boostaholic 07-05-2012 01:38 PM

Shopping in Washington No Tax?

This article from 2010 show that we don't have to pay tax when traveling down south. Is it still valid right now in 2012?

B.C. and Ont. shoppers get Washington deal - British Columbia - CBC News

Lomac 07-05-2012 01:44 PM

Was overruled by the Washington gov't.

So... no.

gars 07-05-2012 01:48 PM

I thought that got repealed in the supreme court. Don't think it applies.

Graeme S 07-05-2012 01:56 PM

It was made for Oregonians originally 'cause they don't have a sales tax, and Washington didn't want them not-coming across the border to buy stuff. So if there's no sales tax where you live, there's no sales tax in washington.

The HST was originally billed as a value-added tax, not a sales tax, so that meant it technically qualified under Washington's law. Until they wised up and revised it. So no, still have to pay the horrendous price of 6% to shop in Washington.

InvisibleSoul 07-05-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7967836)
It was made for Oregonians originally 'cause they don't have a sales tax, and Washington didn't want them not-coming across the border to buy stuff. So if there's no sales tax where you live, there's no sales tax in washington.

The HST was originally billed as a value-added tax, not a sales tax, so that meant it technically qualified under Washington's law. Until they wised up and revised it. So no, still have to pay the horrendous price of 6% to shop in Washington.

Oregonians and Albertans didn't have to pay tax in Washington State for a long time, but the article linked above was when they wanted to make it tax free for BC people as well... but that apparently rubbed another group the wrong way and it was struck down in very short order... like a couple weeks or something?!

And when that happened, it screwed over the Oregonians and Albertans too, because they now have to pay tax as well.

Taxes are different in different counties in Washington, I think... some places are over 8%.

Delish 07-05-2012 04:36 PM

^ I was in Bellevue this past April and we didn't have to pay tax.. We shopped at Target for non-grocery items and Nordstrom Rack and showed our Alberta driver's license.

tonyzoomzoom 07-05-2012 05:04 PM

details here

Sales to Nonresidents

98twofourty 07-05-2012 05:15 PM

Certain stores as well honor the no tax, zumies in bellis fair didnt charge me tax recently.

InvisibleSoul 07-06-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delish (Post 7967932)
^ I was in Bellevue this past April and we didn't have to pay tax.. We shopped at Target for non-grocery items and Nordstrom Rack and showed our Alberta driver's license.

Whoops, guess I was wrong about the appeal screwing over Albertans... looks like they still get tax-free shopping in Washington.

ruthless 07-06-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7967836)

Don't forget the 12% HST you pay ontop of their tax when you get sent inside to pay taxes at the border :ilied:

Graeme S 07-06-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 7968797)
Don't forget the 12% HST you pay ontop of their tax when you get sent inside to pay taxes at the border :ilied:

I've always only paid the difference (6%), not 18%

MG1 07-06-2012 07:43 PM

I can't remember the last time I was sent inside to pay taxes. It's amazing considering the amount of times I cross the border. Mind you, I rarely bring 100+ bucks of merchandise over.

twitchyzero 07-06-2012 08:27 PM

taxes are so fucking confusing in the US
i almost always get taxed 8.5% for online orders
seems like if the company is based out of CA I dont get taxed

MG1 07-06-2012 08:43 PM

^really?

If I buy from a company in Wa. and get it sent to bordertown in Wa, I get taxed, but that's normal.

InvisibleSoul 07-07-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7968889)

...? That's not right... you don't pay any difference in tax. Their tax has nothing to do with our tax. You pay the 12% HST.

InvisibleSoul 07-07-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7968997)
taxes are so fucking confusing in the US
i almost always get taxed 8.5% for online orders
seems like if the company is based out of CA I dont get taxed

You get taxed if the company has a business presence in the state being shipped to.

ruthless 07-08-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7968889)

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7969646)
...? That's not right... you don't pay any difference in tax. Their tax has nothing to do with our tax. You pay the 12% HST.

invisiblesoul is correct. You don't get taxed on the difference. You pay 12%HST on whatever the goods cost you, including their tax. So the goods cost you $100(including the U.S. tax)..you get charged tax(HST) on $100.