REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Accident on kingsway and tyne, July 15th 11 pm, need witnesses

Posting for a friend.

Basically it was the start of a green light, this guy was parking on the next block and my friend was 2 cars behind it. A mini cooper stopped behind the parked car at a safe pace , the second person, a chinese lady in a corolla crashed into it without braking. My friend in a 300zx who was traveling at only around 30-40km/h , braked as hard as he could. Unfortunately he could not stop in time and crashed into the old lady.
At the scene, both the drivers of the mini cooper and the old lady could barely speak English and my friend was frustrated. The old lady is the main one at fault and keeps changing her story from the front car braking too hard, to my friend hitting her into the mini cooper. This was my friends first accident and unfortunately could not keep his composure(we're talking about a LHD tt 300zx with 40kms on it) and did not think to ask for witnesses.

Any information regarding people who were there at the time would be greatly appreciated

tldr: Delusional chinese lady has made a claim against my friend say he hit her into a car that was stopped, need witnesses. 49th and tyne westbound 11 pm.

Any tips on how to deal with ICBC is greatly appreciated, we know that the most likely scenario is that my friend and the old lady will both be at fault.

sorry it occured on july 15th dont know how to change the title
Advertisement
trix4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Your friend is pretty much screwed.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Thanked 1,399 Times in 371 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
It will be you and the Chinese lady's fault. They will ask the first car how many hits they felt and they will answer two times, first the Chinese lady and then your friend hit their car.

Sorry about the accident.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
your friend rear ended the old lady, thus he's gonna be at fault no matter what. not for the whole accident perhaps..but he rear ended the person no matter what the situation was lol i was at an at-fault accident where i rear ended someone as well, its just how shit goes =/

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #6

Wouldn't the chinese lady be at fault? she didn't give enough time for my friend to stop, she basically rammed into the mini cooper
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Ur friend should had given enough room to avoid the chinese lady, when u rear end someone its GG usually
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Throw yo paws in da air!

ur friend was obvs too close to her to stop on time, he shoulda been back more but no one drives like that lol he just got unlucky and now he's gonna pay for it =/

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #9

Thanks for all the input, might I add my friends car is the only car that actually has serious damage, the other 2 people just have a ding or 2 while my friends car has basically his whole front wrecked. Would there be any possible way in which my friend can have the claim dropped? The old lady has given a false account of what happened. Pretty sure the 1st person and our claim will match up, whiles her will not.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Only time will tell, But he still rear ended someone .... therefore he was not following at a safe distance or has a bad reaction time and will be at fault for the person he hit
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

sorry to hear that, I was involved in a similar accident not too long ago. I hate to say it but your friend will most likely be 100% at fault by ICBC's standards of rear end collisions.

They typically will only put the driver at the very rear at fault for the whole accident, if you could somehow find a witness who will explain that the lady in front of your friend first rear ended the very first vehicle, and then your friend proceeded to rear end her (as a two part accident), they may just also put the lady at fault, however there is no way that your friend will be off the hook for something like this. Sorry.

edit: oh and I forgot to mention that these are typically the worst kind of accidents too also because if your friend chooses to do the re-pay option to icbc, thus not affecting his future insurance premiums. He will need to pay for all three vehicle's repairs in full, which could be quite costly since the other two parties may take their vehicles to any shop of their liking and spend whatever amount to fix up their car and having ICBC spot them for the time being. And eventually your friend to pay ICBC back in the full amount for all the repairs.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
Sorry to hear that.
Youre friend is pretty much screwed. Time to invest in a blackvue from these guys! ^^^^^

Actually I don't think it would of actually helped. Tailgating is a no no
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
time to invest in a dashcam!! err wait... too late...

if your friend couldnt stop going less then 40kmph, then hes tooo close to the car in front... as for witness, if you have a rear end accident, most likely ICBC will rule it in favor of the car in front.
Your friend and the old lady will be at fault.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #14

Well going to icbc today and see what happens, even if he had a dash cam, would that be sufficient evidence to counter the claim? Basically the 1st person is putting a claim on the 2nd person and the 2nd person is putting a claim on us

thanks for all the feedback.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Throw yo paws in da air!

no, the dash cam would have only saved him from showing he didnt cause the WHOLE accident, it wouldnt have saved him from the claim the 2nd person made because no matter what, he still rear ended her. And btw i dont think your buddy can pay all/one of the cars off btw, because i heard that if they claim injuries, then icbc doesn't give you the option to pay the people so your insurance doesn't go up.

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4kids View Post
Wouldn't the chinese lady be at fault? she didn't give enough time for my friend to stop, she basically rammed into the mini cooper
How does a driver "give time for a person behind to stop"? You can't control how close to you the person behind you is driving...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
How does a driver "give time for a person behind to stop"? You can't control how close to you the person behind you is driving...

He means there was no break light indication any time during the 2nd car hitting the 1st car going from 40km to a complete stop, his friend was not expecting a car in front of him to ram into another so suddenly
jnguyenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Your friend needs to look further ahead, while driving. If he had, he would have saw the stopped Cooper, anticipated it, and slowed to a stop before he plowed the Corolla. Consider it an expensive lesson!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The onus is on the driver to pay attention on any hazard or road condition IN FRONT of him/her and leave enough room to react properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnguyenn View Post
He means there was no break light indication any time during the 2nd car hitting the 1st car going from 40km to a complete stop, his friend was not expecting a car in front of him to ram into another so suddenly
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Sorry to hear, but there's no way your friend will get out of this situation. In the best possible case scenario, everyone tells the truth and the lady will be 100% at fault for rear ending the mini, and your friend will be 100% at fault for hitting the lady and both your premiums will skyrocket and this is with the witness. Right now the lady is trying to put all the blame on your friend, which probably won't happen since the first car will say he felt 2 hits. It's a matter of whether your friend takes the ding of the entire chain reaction or just rear ending the corolla now. Just out of curiosity, did your friend's car have ABS?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4kids View Post
Thanks for all the input, might I add my friends car is the only car that actually has serious damage, the other 2 people just have a ding or 2 while my friends car has basically his whole front wrecked. Would there be any possible way in which my friend can have the claim dropped? The old lady has given a false account of what happened. Pretty sure the 1st person and our claim will match up, whiles her will not.
I know you are only trying to help your friend.

What if the mini and corolla came to a complete and safe stop.

Your friend hits the corolla at 40 km and had the most damage of the 3 cars?

The corolla and mini only had minor dings, maybe 2?

Tell your friend not to follow so close when he is driving a rare LHD 300zx.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Time to get a dash camera
ALEX1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
RS controls my life!

you were going 30-40km/h and rear ended someone which severly wrecked your front?

that sounds like tailgating to me man... Sorry to hear such a loss but its gg.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #24

The car is lowered and tucked under her rear bumper when she crashed. The ABS did kick in. Right now he knows hes fked but he's scared that the 1st and 2nd car are going to tell a different story to make him 100%.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Dash cam wouldn't help in this situation, its the drivers responsibility to leave enough time and space between the vehicle in front not to crash into it, even if it did stop abruptly.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote