REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Taylor Shellfish Farm (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671890-taylor-shellfish-farm.html)

Obsideon 08-05-2012 11:56 PM

Taylor Shellfish Farm

I'm not sure if I should be making this thread here or in the Food/Travel Forum since it's semi-related but then again I'm not asking about the place (unless somebody has some input :fullofwin:)
I figure there's more traffic in here cuz I'm leaving tomorrow morning.

I'm planning to head down to that Taylor Shellfish Oyster Farm by Bellingham (that's the only one right?) but I've heard conflicting stories about the ROAD on the way there. I drive a lowered car so I'm pretty concerned, should I try to borrow my mom's SUV?
Exactly how bad is the road, is it like lots of dips and hills, off-roading? Non-paved? Bad gravel? How long is it?
I don't want to get my front lip and suspension trashed over some oysters lol ...

On a side note, those that have been there, any tips or pointers?
I just know that it's BYOB ... :woot:

StylinRed 08-06-2012 12:50 AM

to play it safe you could just take the I-5 down to Route 11 instead of taking one of the cross streets

if i've got the right place in mind, should be fine either way though

Culverin 08-06-2012 01:29 AM

i need to know more....

ilovebacon 08-06-2012 02:37 AM

You already know

roastpuff 08-06-2012 08:18 AM

There will be a raised train crossing that you will have to negotiate, but otherwise it shouldn't be too bad. It's gravel but well-maintained.

It's a pretty small place, mind you...

Obsideon 08-08-2012 01:00 PM

Decided to take the SUV anyways to be on the safe side lol ... the road was "ok" ... parts of it was gravel with minor ditches here and there, if you take it slow it should be fine, just lots of rocks and dust kicking up, with that said I still don't think I would "want" to take my own car down there if I had a choice.

Oysters themselves were friggin' delicious, so sweet and melony! Cracked open a couple dozen and slurped away with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc with a beautiful panoramic view of the ocean as a backdrop, awesome! Next time I'll go with more people and get a BBQ pit started too!

(mods can you please move this to the food forum if possible?)

bluejays 08-08-2012 01:25 PM

So is this like a restaurant or something? kinda confused since you mentioned the BBQ pit. The way you described it makes me wanna go so bad

Hondaracer 08-08-2012 01:27 PM

Why do u have to go to the US for oysters?

Obsideon 08-08-2012 03:16 PM

No it's not a restaurant, it's literally just a shack. A shellfish "farm" where they grow their own oysters. It doesn't get any fresher than literally plucking them out of the ocean, shucking and slurping them! You buy as many as you like then carry them a few steps to the dock where there's already picnic benches and BBQ pits set up for you to start eating!
They also sell crabs, clams, mussells at pretty good prices too.

Hondaracer I went for the experience and made it a little road trip, also it helps that the US doesn't have those stupid strict alcohol laws so I can have all my wine and beer laid out on the table at the beach instead of hiding it in paper cups lol

godwin 08-08-2012 04:28 PM

No there are quite a few and non of them are really that close to Bellingham

Taylor Shellfish Stores | Taylor Shellfish Farms

For those who don't know.. WA harvests the majority of Geoducks and Oysters that we get supplied in the Lower Mainland.

Oh there are quite a few State parks that you can buy a license on spot and dig clams, geoducks etc and have right on the spot. I think Samish Bay might be where you are thinking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 7995325)
I'm planning to head down to that Taylor Shellfish Oyster Farm by Bellingham (that's the only one right?)

NLY 08-08-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 7997839)
No it's not a restaurant, it's literally just a shack. A shellfish "farm" where they grow their own oysters. It doesn't get any fresher than literally plucking them out of the ocean, shucking and slurping them! You buy as many as you like then carry them a few steps to the dock where there's already picnic benches and BBQ pits set up for you to start eating!
They also sell crabs, clams, mussells at pretty good prices too.

Hondaracer I went for the experience and made it a little road trip, also it helps that the US doesn't have those stupid strict alcohol laws so I can have all my wine and beer laid out on the table at the beach instead of hiding it in paper cups lol

Sounds amazing. I love fresh oysters and this sounds like the perfect experience

bluejays 08-08-2012 04:39 PM

RS oyster farm meet :woot2:

!Shuya80 08-08-2012 08:41 PM

moved as per op's request

roastpuff 08-08-2012 09:33 PM

there's one by chuckanut drive, epic drive + oysters anyone?

Hondaracer 08-11-2012 11:35 AM

some of ours from sunshine coast, on a good day with the right traps we are pulling up 200+ spotted prawns at a time, and oysters are basically unlimited

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...04032505_n.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...r/IMG_2407.jpg

DragonChi 08-11-2012 12:33 PM

Hondaracer, what company was with that with? It looks fun.

bluejays 08-11-2012 12:42 PM

On sunshine coast you can find all that stuff yourself on the beaches and what not

DragonChi 08-11-2012 01:09 PM

I see, so just grab the right traps and find a good spot in a fishing park?

How do I find out what kind of gear I need?

Gnomes 08-14-2012 07:27 PM

After reading this thread and seeing the this video I have strong craving for oysters. Joe fortes used to have a dollar per oyster during happy hours. Do they still have it?

Hondaracer 08-14-2012 07:50 PM

DragonChi, unless you have a boat you're really SOL with prawns, we are going at depths of miniumum 300 feet so unless you have a puller motor to pull the traps, it can be very difficult, especially when you pull up an empty trap

for the oysters though, I dont know where on the sunshine coast you can really just drive to and pick them, i'm sure up near sechelt or powell river, but the ones i have pictured are from an island, and they are really only found on one side of it