REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Removing specks of sap from windshield (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671893-removing-specks-sap-windshield.html)

dygital 08-06-2012 12:48 AM

Removing specks of sap from windshield

I've noticed recently that there are a lot of specs of shiny bits that are visible in the sunlight and a quick google search shows that it is tree sap.

Does anyone know how to easily get rid of it? I have yet to try anything (since its 2 in the morning).

I also have this glass cleaner at home, its in an aerosol that is colored blue and white, and sprays foam. I use it to clean glass, windows around the house, so would this be safe on a car? I also read that ammonia is bad for window tint, but if my car is naturally tinted from the factory, would I be okay if I used ammonia window cleaner? (I have no idea whether what I have has ammonia or not but I'm just asking to be on the safe side)

mb_ 08-06-2012 06:36 AM

Claybar? I'm no detailer but I've seen people use it

BlackHawk 08-06-2012 08:44 AM

If its on the exterior you have nothing to worry about. Hot water and a nice car soap work well together on tree sap when its fresh. Clay bars tend to actually spread sap around if its fresher. The older the sap the easier it just flakes off. Best things are either a bit of laquer thinner on a rag and wipe it down then wash the glass properly afterwards or to soap up the glass with either soap or automotive glass cleaner and use a light grade of steel wool. Dont use steel wool on the interior glass though and as for tinting automotive glass.cleaners and ammonia free ones work just fine on it.

extracrunchie 08-06-2012 09:31 AM

i have used gasline antifreeze and it works wonders on sap

finbar 08-06-2012 12:58 PM

The fresher the sap the easier this works.
Some vegetable oil on a green dish scrubbie dissolves the sap.
Follow with detergent and then water.

- kT 08-06-2012 01:02 PM

9 times out of 10, simply washing the car removes all tree sap

the remaining 1 time will just require claybar or some stronger rubbing if it's on the windows

Supafly 08-07-2012 11:38 AM

A sap remover chemical is needed for more stubborn sun dried saps.

dygital 08-07-2012 08:13 PM

I haven't driven my car in 2-3 days, it's been in the garage. Let's hope it comes off tomorrow with a quick wash.

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers!

smoothie. 08-10-2012 09:49 AM

lol.

if its literally specs, just rinse it off with a hose and its gone.

if its thick and heavy, thats a whole 'nother problem.

snails 08-10-2012 09:52 AM

methol hydrate! detailed for years and thats what you want, pick up some plastic razor blades if it gets on the body of the car:fullofwin:

snowball 08-14-2012 06:08 PM

Stoner's invisible glass is ammonia free and perfect for windows.

Claybar for the really stubborn ones, but is usually overkill.

hchang 08-17-2012 09:34 PM

A couple days late to reply to this thread but last time I got sap on my car, I took it to the car wash on Terminal and took all the sap off.

Got the basic package and was 8.xx after tax.

Ludepower 08-27-2012 10:38 PM

Wonder why no one has mention a razor blade or steel wool