REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Chef Hung's Tawainese Beef Noodle - Any Reviews? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671958-chef-hungs-tawainese-beef-noodle-any-reviews.html)

DD//M3 08-07-2012 12:07 PM

Chef Hung's Tawainese Beef Noodle - Any Reviews?

Live and work at UBC. UBC Branch opening here soon in South Campus Chef Hung Beef Noodle

Tried to find out when it opens but the listed phone number does not work yet.

Any reviews from existing locations? Is it any good?

It's kind of a waste land for Asian food up here in UBC and surrounding areas and to have a good go to place would make me very happy.

Thanks in advance RS.

<Excuse the Misspelling of Taiwan in the title please ... thank you>

Energy 08-07-2012 12:19 PM

There was a lot of hype back when they first opened in Aberdeen. Noodles are ok. Better quality for sure then whats already available at UBC.

sekin67835 08-07-2012 12:24 PM

Noodles and handmade. Not bad in terms of taste. A little pricey for it though (9 dollars +)

Szeto 08-07-2012 02:03 PM

They have opened a couple locations now but I have only tried the one in Aberdeen when Chef Hung himself was actually here.

It's better than your food court beef noodle but $10+/add tax and tips is pricey for a bowl of noodle.

Culverin 08-07-2012 02:51 PM

It's above average for beef noodle, evening from soup, noodles and meat are petty solid, but nothing i would get excited about. would say it's still at least worth one try.

icemiko 08-08-2012 12:34 PM

Worth to try once but I won't go back, it's kind of overpriced for the tiny portion you get.

Presto 08-08-2012 06:50 PM

Ouch. I was interested when I saw the title of this thread, but the price is gonna prevent my sampling of Hung's noodle.

DD//M3 08-08-2012 08:13 PM

That's the thing, when you live in the outer part of Vancouver with a complete lack of good asian food you tend to look at the extra 2 to 3 dollars per bowl as equivalent to how much gas you would spend driving to a decent place elsewhere.

GeneralCho 08-09-2012 08:16 AM

I went to the Chef Hung in West Vancouver and the food was pretty good. Kinda pricey though.

red_sir 08-09-2012 12:28 PM

I quite like Chef Hung. I get the braised beef shank noodles which is $8; not much more than what other beef noodle places charge. I like the $11 champion beef shank noodles too but not worth the $3 difference IMO.

Chicken nuggets are also good, but portion is small.

winson604 08-09-2012 07:15 PM

If your someone who relies heavily on food review sites then UrbanSpoon has it rated at 50% with 198 people voted which is terrible. Consider the fact that Guu at Aberdeen is pretty notorious for people saying it's terrible, even they have a 79% rating with 238 votes which shocks me.

In my opinion, Chef Hung isn't anything special. Lets not take the price into consideration for a moment but the beef noodle alone isn't anything to be desired. It isn't horrible but I would rate it as avg at best. Now throw in the price which is almost double then well we got some problems here. However, you live and work at UBC and people in your situation are often forced with limited options. I would say if it's a day where you really want to eat a Beef Noodle but you don't really have an option then go for it but otherwise I would avoid it.

DD//M3 08-10-2012 09:31 AM

Considering the Chinese population up here at UBC, not even including Students, then you would think there would be one decent Cafe, Won Ton house or Restaurant?

Or how about decent Sushi...etc.

jackmeister 08-10-2012 09:36 AM

Considering the food selection at UBC :heckno: saves people from driving off campus to eat lunch and come back

Obsideon 08-11-2012 12:48 AM

I share the sentiment of many of the posts above me already.
The noodles are "good" but not worth the price. There are definitely better noodles for lower prices in Vancouver.
It was a huge rage when it first opened a couple years ago, there would be 30+ min lineups at the Aberdeen location every afternoon. I was :fuckthatshit: and sure enough nowadays it's barely half full in there.

DD//M3 08-11-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8000210)
I share the sentiment of many of the posts above me already.
The noodles are "good" but not worth the price. There are definitely better noodles for lower prices in Vancouver.
It was a huge rage when it first opened a couple years ago, there would be 30+ min lineups at the Aberdeen location every afternoon. I was :fuckthatshit: and sure enough nowadays it's barely half full in there.

Hey there are FIVE Japanese Restaurants at UBC and they all SUCK!

Time to expand up here. Students and Staff drink a lot ...:ahwow:

Ikkaku 08-11-2012 10:03 PM

:lol the hype back then

it's good enough to try once, but not good enough to return

exact sentiments with the people above: it's average (read: it's edible) but nothing to warrant the price .

punkwax 08-12-2012 07:46 AM

$9 isn't very expensive for a meal. Handmade noodles too. I pay $9 for pho regularly, even fast food burger meals are $9 these days... Can't eat sushi for less than $15 unless you want to leave hungry..

Obsideon 08-12-2012 11:47 AM

^ :ahwow: Where do you go for such expensive noodles?!... most places I know that sell pho and beef noodle are in the $6-$7 range which comes out to just under $9 after taxes.
Chef Hung sells it for $9+ for one bowl so it comes out to over $10 for 1 bowl and the portions are small as well. They are pretty good noodles (as in it's not bland or disgusting) and I know it's just nickle and diming now talking about a couple dollars difference. But the point is that I don't really see a reason to purposely drive out there to try these "Hung noodles" just to end up overpaying for a bowl of noodles that could be had elsewhere, closer to you and cheaper.

This is speaking from personal experience mind you. I would not drive out to Richmond to park in the shitty lot that is Aberdeen only for Chef Hung when I can eat at Beefy Beef on Main street which is 5 minutes away from me. Actually when I somehow end up at Aberdeen I'd still rather eat at the food court lol

Obsideon 08-12-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8001114)
$9 isn't very expensive for a meal. Handmade noodles too. I pay $9 for pho regularly, even fast food burger meals are $9 these days... Can't eat sushi for less than $15 unless you want to leave hungry..

You're comparing apples to oranges, of course Sushi is going to be more expensive, unless you are referring to places like Samurai which I don't even consider sushi. :heckno:
Paying $10 for a small bowl of beef brisket and noodles on the other hand, like what most of the people already stated above is just not "worth it"

winson604 08-12-2012 03:42 PM

Yea, where the hell do you get $9 pho. I didn't even think such a price existed in Van.

bcrdukes 08-12-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8001437)
Yea, where the hell do you get $9 pho. I didn't even think such a price existed in Van.

Kim Phung on 41st & Victoria. :p