REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   How many of you guys keep photocopies of your insurance papers in your car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672041-how-many-you-guys-keep-photocopies-your-insurance-papers-your-car.html)

iKayChow 08-08-2012 08:11 PM

How many of you guys keep photocopies of your insurance papers in your car?

Just curious what most of you guy's do. The place where I go get insurance told me that cops can charge you for being able to provide the official copy of something. Spoke to a cop sitting in his car asking his opinion on it, he personally said he keeps a photocopy in his car with his address blacked out, only his name shown (for security reason: lets say you left your keys in your car and someone breaks in.. they then look at your papers they just found your address and have the keys to your house).

also how legal is it lulzz? anyone seeing anything in the MVA against blacking out sensitive information & having a photocopy?

What do you guys do?

tiger_handheld 08-08-2012 08:59 PM

I keep a copy. Meaning to black out sensitive info but haven't gotten around to it.

jing 08-08-2012 09:30 PM

I've called the VPD before with the same questions and basically they said it's *technically* illegal, but it's up to the officer's discretion in the end, as they admit to doing the same thing themselves. Chances are, you'll be fine.

hchang 08-08-2012 09:36 PM

I didn't even know you weren't supposed to keep the originals in your car.

I've been carrying around the originals ever since I've owned a car... Been pulled over a couple times but no mention of it being illegal.

Matlock 08-08-2012 10:06 PM

I have actually never heard of this law. I might make photocopies and do this eventually.

What if... I go to the states? Let's say Washington, to be exact. Do I need the originals? On TV and in the movies they always show cops asking for "licence and registration."

jackal 08-09-2012 01:55 AM

or just don't leave your keys in the car??? i can't see how people leave their keys in the car if they have remote locks. (which is almost everyone now) and even if you have an attached garage you should still be locking the inner door so even if they have an address and garage remote they still shouldn't be able to access the house. and crossing the border ALWAYS bring your paper work. when i go down for races i bring my truck paper work my trailer paper work and the race car registration. i have been asked for all of it before and some of it before and none of it.

for me its just a little bit to much paranoia.

and to my knowledge you need the originals even in bc so why take a chance and get a grumpy cop who won't let you get away with it?

odds of getting car stolen with the intention of going to your house and robbing you < odds of a cop pulling you over and wanting original paper work

wing_woo 08-09-2012 10:54 AM

I have my original in my car. However, it's hidden within the car and not in the glove box, so if I get pulled over, I have to let the cop know before I retrieve it.

FerrariEnzo 08-09-2012 01:12 PM

hmm... i didnt know this was legal, to have photocopies of this..

its like saying, can I have photocopies of my DL and blackout my address? I might loose my wallet and keys and if someone finds it, they know where I live... I mean lots of people do loose their wallets...

socialenemy69 08-09-2012 07:45 PM

Original in the Car. With my motorcycle I keep it in my wallet.

sebberry 08-09-2012 09:39 PM

Don't the police radio in the licence plate anyway for the most up to date insurance status?

tiger_handheld 08-09-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7998442)
or just don't leave your keys in the car??? i can't see how people leave their keys in the car if they have remote locks. (which is almost everyone now) and even if you have an attached garage you should still be locking the inner door so even if they have an address and garage remote they still shouldn't be able to access the house. and crossing the border ALWAYS bring your paper work. when i go down for races i bring my truck paper work my trailer paper work and the race car registration. i have been asked for all of it before and some of it before and none of it.

for me its just a little bit to much paranoia.

and to my knowledge you need the originals even in bc so why take a chance and get a grumpy cop who won't let you get away with it?

odds of getting car stolen with the intention of going to your house and robbing you < odds of a cop pulling you over and wanting original paper work

Not if you live in Surrey! Complex had a spike in break-in's and guess what, insurance papers and garage door openers were missing!

sebberry 08-09-2012 10:20 PM

Good reason to never leave your garage remote in your car. They make them keyring sized now ;)

Supafly 08-10-2012 10:29 AM

My key fob and house keys are not on the same ring. Problem solved.

BallPeenHammer2 08-10-2012 01:32 PM

I personally keep blacked out copies. they want my address? CHECK MY LICENSE.

There's actually someone here on the North Shore that had their vehicle broken into while he was at the ice rink, took his papers, then proceeded to break into his apartment.

He's lost like....thousands of dollars of items.

littledog 08-13-2012 09:32 PM

I used to do the photocopy thing until my insurance agent pointed out that technically you can get a ticket for not being able to produce your insurance paper (photocopies are not acceptable especially with blacked out address which is considered an altered document).

tiger_handheld 08-14-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littledog (Post 8002700)
I used to do the photocopy thing until my insurance agent pointed out that technically you can get a ticket for not being able to produce your insurance paper (photocopies are not acceptable especially with blacked out address which is considered an altered document).

my insurance agent (old and current) both have given me copies for "in car" and "home". if anyone has twitter - tweet VPD with the Q for asnwer?

604STIG 08-15-2012 04:24 PM

I've always ket a copy in my motorcycle and original at home. But oddly, not for my car.

AW607 08-15-2012 09:27 PM

I've always had my father heckle me about keeping a copy of the original papers in my car, and leaving the original at home; now I probably know why :derp:

sleepywheel 08-15-2012 10:11 PM

So if someone breaks into your car and steals your insurance papers, they now have your address, drivers license number, and your signature. Is there anything else needed to steal someones identity?

Someone told me that cars were getting broken into and if nothing of value is found, they take the insurance papers and burn them. I guess it would be a bitch to try and get replacement copies without jumping through a few hoops.