REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Seattle Automotive Chat

Seattle Automotive Chat THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT
Seattle Head Mod: NUBREED
Residents of Seattle, Bellingham, Redmond, Bellevue, WA County..

Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Right turn on red, is it allow ?

As title, may sound stupid but i wanted to confirm if right turn on red is allow in seattle ?

I applied the same rule as driving in vancouver but i heard in some places in washington turning right on red is illegal ?? ( turning right on red is always legal in vancouver unless special sign is posted)
Advertisement
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
I don't get it

i always see seperate red lights for right turners in belingham so it looks like no
Ver.Mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
unless otherwise posted, Yes! after coming to a full and complete stop.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
It looks like Washington State is same as BC.

RCW 46.61.055: Traffic control signal legend.

(a) Vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection control area and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. However, the vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal may, after stopping proceed to make a right turn from a one-way or two-way street into a two-way street or into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn; or a left turn from a one-way or two-way street into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn; unless a sign posted by competent authority prohibits such movement. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall remain stopped to allow other vehicles lawfully within or approaching the intersection control area to complete their movements. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall also remain stopped for pedestrians who are lawfully within the intersection control area as required by RCW 46.61.235(1).
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
im not sure bout seattle but down in cali/ LA my fam says dont turn on reds.
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Meow

i believe its legal unless specified, i got sent a ticket for turning right on a red because i didnt see the sign that says it was illegal. I rather be safe and not get a ticket and just stop turning right on reds. Saving a minute waiting for a light isnt worth $140
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Not sure why people are still guessing when I posted the excerpt from Washington State's government website.

If you want more hard facts, there's also this from Seattle's government website:

Municipal Court of Seattle - Ticket Payment

Quote:
NOTE: A complete stop is required before turning right at a red light. If you were ticketed while making a right turn, the police officer who reviewed the video and issued the ticket determined that you did not come to a complete stop before making the turn, as required by law.
So yeah, it's the same as in BC.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
i believe its legal unless specified, i got sent a ticket for turning right on a red because i didnt see the sign that says it was illegal. I rather be safe and not get a ticket and just stop turning right on reds. Saving a minute waiting for a light isnt worth $140
Where is the fail button?
So you're going to hold up traffic because you can't read traffic signs?
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
yeah i was just driving down and LA and was trying to figure out about turning on reds… some people were doing it, some were not
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote