REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 01-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #4501
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Any recommendations on where is a good place to buy a motorcycle helmet? I’m still a beginner and need it for the MST course
Advertisement
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #4502
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Whereabouts are you in Vancouver are you and any particular brand preference or budget in mind?
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:49 PM   #4503

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Whereabouts are you in Vancouver are you and any particular brand preference or budget in mind?
I’m in the Killarney area. I don’t have any brand preference yet and don’t mind spending somewhere in the $300 - $500 range. I was also thinking about checking out pacific motosports
Old 01-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #4504
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
People say Modern on Commercial is the best value place especially if you need other things like jacket & gloves. Guy gives you a package price that you just can't say anything else other than, 'Please, just take my money, now!'
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:00 AM   #4505
RS Veteran

For a helmet, fit is pretty important. Shop around the local stores like Modern Motorcycle. They'll pressure you into buying all sorts of other things but if you don't need it, no need to buy it. A simple "no" will suffice.

Brian at Burnaby Kawasaki and Daytona Motorsport are good places as well. I think there's a store in Burnaby called Imperial but I don't know if they sell gear.

I've never been to Pacific Motorsport but worth checking out. Shop around and try as many helmets as possible.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #4506
Banned By Establishment

The maybe official quick motorcycle question/news not worthy of a new thread, thread

Like bcrdukes said, Buy whatever fits your head the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #4507
Need my Daily Fix of RS

When I was shopping for a new helmet last year, I find Modern is best for pricing. (Got a great deal on last years Shoei RF1200, it was under $500 tax included)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #4508
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
When I was shopping for a new helmet last year, I find Modern is best for pricing. (Got a great deal on last years Shoei RF1200, it was under $500 tax included)
I can attest to modern as well. Picked up a whole set new for about $1200 (boots, gloves, jacket, pants, hjc helmet, back protector)

Went back a couple weeks later to exchange the HJC for Shoei RF1400 $600~ tax included and they let me since I didn't use the helmet yet. I thought might as well spend more money for safety standard and quality
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #4509

^ did you get the exciting reveal from the chubby son .. here's the individual price, here's the package price ... oh wow, take my money now!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #4510
RS Veteran

Yeah that's their usual sales gimmick and people often eat it up but c'est la vie. They are a business and not a charity.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #4511
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ did you get the exciting reveal from the chubby son .. here's the individual price, here's the package price ... oh wow, take my money now!
I asked him is it the best price you can do : can't help it I'm in sales, but yes in the end I just asked if they take AMEX

My friend and I did comparisons with prices on Fortnine and they are like 20-30% cheaper, probably because they get supplier pricing. Likes Dukes say, they're a business so I'm not expecting smoking deals. Plus they got someone to go through all the recommended gear and sizing as well. That was key since I am a beginner and didn't know where to start. That service has a price to it as well.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2022, 03:37 PM   #4512
RS Veteran

hahaha fatal blow with the AMEX

Aaron and Murray are alright; They tend to rub people the wrong way but they're really just there to make a living and once you get to know them, they can really go the distance for you.

When I was a noob, Murray used to give me hell for coming in to ask when there's a free spot to do some maintenance and he gave me shit and just taught me how to change my own oil and stuff and told me not to waste my money on services there. I was like WTF? Any way, he meant well and it took me a while to figure that out. If you catch him on a good day and talk about vintage Briitsh motorcycles, he may even start give you free stuff

Any how, I think it's ok for people to start out buying stuff at a shop like Modern and what have you. Takes some experience to know what works and for someone with experience to guide you down the right path. You'll have the typical buddy guy who will brag about how much of a savings or great deal they got their helmet for, only to realize it's ill-fitting and they give up on motorcycling in a season or two.

Fun fact: They own a majority of the block
Old 02-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #4513
Banned By Establishment

Accident Kingsway Burnaby by Wendy’s. Do a quick check if you have a friend who rides a white sport bike and wears a black helmet. They were taken out by a left hand Turner in front of Wendy’s and it looks bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2022, 09:57 PM   #4514

In some of your guys opinion, do you think one road ride through a riding school is good enough to prepare for the road test if you don’t own a bike?
Old 04-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #4515
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
You mean like, do your skills test, only ride one time then try to do your road test?

The rules of the road don’t change, but you’d be an extremely inexperienced rider. Maybe? But I wouldn’t
Old 04-10-2022, 09:15 PM   #4516

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You mean like, do your skills test, only ride one time then try to do your road test?

The rules of the road don’t change, but you’d be an extremely inexperienced rider. Maybe? But I wouldn’t
I’m going to register with 1st gear riding school and after the MST is done, they have a road ride prep and road ride to get comfortable. I just wanted to know if I would be comfortable enough to pass the road test after that or I would need to buy a motorcycle. I was hoping I could use their motorcycle for the road test before buying mine since that option is available.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:14 AM   #4517

I think only you can answer that. But for the general mc learner, even as a seasoned driver with experience, in your described scenario with one group ride ... no.

Last edited by whitev70r; 04-11-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #4518
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
I’m going to register with 1st gear riding school and after the MST is done, they have a road ride prep and road ride to get comfortable. I just wanted to know if I would be comfortable enough to pass the road test after that or I would need to buy a motorcycle. I was hoping I could use their motorcycle for the road test before buying mine since that option is available.
Its been a few years since I was trained at 1st gear. But if I recall correctly. After your training, they provide 1-2 group rides for experience, then you have the option to rent/borrow a bike for the road test.

Would you be comfortable enough to pass the road test? That is all dependent on your ability to ride safely during the Road Test. If you dont think you have the confidence to do it, then you should probably get your own bike for more experience, you could rent their bikes, but why spend more money renting when you're buying anyways.

Just curious whats the reason for not buying a bike right away?

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000

Last edited by Dragon-88; 04-11-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #4519

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I think only you can answer that. But for the general mc learner even as a seasoned driving experience, in your described scenario with one group ride ... no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Its been a few years since I was trained at 1st gear. But if I recall correctly. After your training, they provide 1-2 group rides for experience, then you have the option to rent/borrow a bike for the road test.

Would you be comfortable enough to pass the road test? That is all dependent on your ability to ride safely during the Road Test. If you dont think you have the confidence to do it, then you should probably get your own bike for more experience, you could rent their bikes, but why spend more money renting when you're buying anyways.

Just curious whats the reason for not buying a bike right away?
Thanks guys, I had the wrong idea. I was under the impression that people normally buy their bike after passing their road test since they’re less likely to drop it.

I don’t have an issue buying a bike right away. I’ve already been browsing to see what I might be interested in and looks like I’ll buy a bike after my MST is done.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #4520
RS Veteran

Most schools have the option of you to rent their motorcycle for the Class 6 road test. Some even include it in their student fees where you get to use their motorcycle once or twice.

If you aren't confident in passing on the first try, you can also ask the school for an additional lesson. When I did my course through Pacific Riding School, I wasn't super confident I'd pass so the instructors there gave me a 30 minute session where they followed me around and gave me feedback and pretty much said you're good to go, and I passed on the first attempt.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #4521

^Thanks for the info, I’m probably going to do the road prep and road rides with 1st gear.

I passed my MST and my confidence in my riding ability isn’t there. I definitely need to practice and get comfortable riding in an empty parking lot or residential streets before I ride in traffic.

That being said, I’m looking at buying a used bike. How did you guys bring home your first bike if you didn’t have anyone to help you? I was thinking of calling a flatbed tow truck to tow it home lol
Old 05-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #4522
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Way back, I was still in highschool. My big brothers coworker rode it home.

You have any buddies that can ride it home for you? If it's from a dealer they can likely deliver it.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #4523

Maybe a beer for someone from RS to ride it back for you?
Old 05-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #4524
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
^Thanks for the info, I’m probably going to do the road prep and road rides with 1st gear.

I passed my MST and my confidence in my riding ability isn’t there. I definitely need to practice and get comfortable riding in an empty parking lot or residential streets before I ride in traffic.

That being said, I’m looking at buying a used bike. How did you guys bring home your first bike if you didn’t have anyone to help you? I was thinking of calling a flatbed tow truck to tow it home lol
Sign up for BCAA, For $120/year you get tows up to 160km distance + all road side services. You can choose to tow your new bike home or have a friend ride it. Imaging having to tow your bike from Squamish to Vancouver you would be fully covered with BCAA.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:34 AM   #4525
RS Veteran

Quote:
What you can do is ask the seller during the sale whether he or she can ride it over to your place or not and then offer to give them a ride back to their place. In my experience, most people are open to it but given COVID, I would assume people may feel differently. As suggested too, I'm sure someone here on RS is willing to lend a hand, or ask a friend of yours who rides to help out.

Also, given that you are looking to get into the hobby, I recommend keeping a small list on hand of friends/colleagues you know who have a truck or something, or get to know some parts guys at the shops who often have a truck.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank