REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Euro Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/euro-tech-resources_318/)
-   -   C63 transmission Question. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672771-c63-transmission-question.html)

AMGPWR 08-23-2012 11:41 AM

C63 transmission Question.

Hey guys,

I've owned my 2009 C63 since last year. I bought it with 25k on it and I'm now just over 40.

My question is if any one knows on whether I have an issue I should bring up with the dealer, Or if this is something thats normal on these 7 speed trannys.

I find that under hard acceleration that sometimes my car almost has a delay shifting from first to second. All of my other shifts are seamless regardless of how many more gears I go through.

This really got my attention a few days ago when it shifted from first to second and caused wheel chirp which I know is common in any standard but I have not come across it in this car.

BTW This is my first automatic ever.

Thanks!

NLY 08-23-2012 11:52 AM

I think I'm having the same issue with a cls63

When I shift from 1st to 2nd with the paddle shifter, there's a noticeable lag/delay. With any other gears, it's much quicker.

My solution? leave the car is comfort mode and not using the shifter because the car feels too big to be a sports car.

Supafly 08-23-2012 11:58 AM

have you guys tried resetting the trans tcu??

step:

door closed, keys in ignition
turn to position 2 without starting
depress gas pedal including stepdown button.
hold 30secs
turn off car (with pedal still depressed)
remove key
let off pedal

allow a couple mins to reset and she'll drive like new.

the delay is caused by city driving and no wild play....it learns stop and go smoothly....I reset once a week.:)

604STIG 08-24-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly (Post 8011076)

step:

hold 30secs
remove key
let off pedal

the delay is caused by city driving and no wild play....it learns stop and go smoothly....I reset once a week.:)

+1 The computer learns your driving habits and sets everything up accordingly. Reset it and it will start learning your habits from a fresh start. It;s probably still running programming based on the previous owners driving habits.

ruthless 08-26-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMGPWR (Post 8011057)
Hey guys,

I've owned my 2009 C63 since last year. I bought it with 25k on it and I'm now just over 40.

My question is if any one knows on whether I have an issue I should bring up with the dealer, Or if this is something thats normal on these 7 speed trannys.

I find that under hard acceleration that sometimes my car almost has a delay shifting from first to second. All of my other shifts are seamless regardless of how many more gears I go through.

This really got my attention a few days ago when it shifted from first to second and caused wheel chirp which I know is common in any standard but I have not come across it in this car.

BTW This is my first automatic ever.

Thanks!

What mode are you in? Put it in S mode and it should have quicker shifts. The car starts off in comfort mode so put it into S or S+

Also in regards to wheel chirp your driving a car with 451hp and 443lb-ft of torque...wheel chirp is inevitable. Maybe invest in some wider tires, especially if you are running 255's in the rear.

Finally, if you don't like the "sluggishness" of the tranny get it tuned by a reputable tuner and they can make the shifts more crisp.

NLY 08-26-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

step:

hold 30secs
remove key
let off pedal

Thanks for the heads up!

The delay is much less noticeable in S mode now.

At first, I thought it was an issue with the transmission despite the car having less than 8000 kms.

By the way, do amg's require oil more frequently (in other words, burn more oil) ?

My check oil light came on the first 3000 kms, and when I took it to the dealership, they said it's normal for "break in."

Any truth to that statement?

Thanks

Supafly 08-27-2012 06:49 AM

our benzes burn a bit of oil if you drive it harder than usual. Its normal.
Im burning about a liter of oil every 10k kms or so. :)
I always keep a quart of oil in the trunk just incase the HUD tells me to add oil before the interval.

NLY 08-27-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly (Post 8013880)
our benzes burn a bit of oil if you drive it harder than usual. Its normal.
Im burning about a liter of oil every 10k kms or so. :)
I always keep a quart of oil in the trunk just incase the HUD tells me to add oil before the interval.

That's a relief knowing I didn't have a lemon. It does seem plausible to carry some reverse in the boot.

It's my first time owning a V8 and I will admit, I have developed a heavier foot in their vehicle than my last. The engine tone really makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

Can you recommend a reliable mechanic/shop in the lower mainland?

ruthless 08-27-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizo (Post 8014285)
That's a relief knowing I didn't have a lemon. It does seem plausible to carry some reverse in the boot.

It's my first time owning a V8 and I will admit, I have developed a heavier foot in their vehicle than my last. The engine tone really makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

I'm not sure if you are on this forum or not but there is a lot of insightful info available.
C63 AMG (W204) - MBWorld.org Forums

Supafly 08-28-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizo (Post 8014285)

If you are still within the warranty period, just rape the dealer; If you are outside the warranty, I use TheSpeedSyndicate for all my work.:)
Curtis and Alex do amazing stuff.

HoB 08-28-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

step:

hold 30secs
remove key
let off pedal

What is this "Stepdown button" you are referring to? I'd like to try and reset mine as well :)

Supafly 08-29-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoB (Post 8015008)
What is this "Stepdown button" you are referring to? I'd like to try and reset mine as well :)

Im not sure if you guys have it in your car....but its a button on your gas pedal....press all the way to the floor, and push a bit harder...you'll feel a prominent click...

The button makes the trans shift to the lowest possible gear with maximum RPM relative to speed.

HoB 08-30-2012 09:19 AM

Thanks for the tip!! I thought I just got used to there car that's why it felt "slow". Now the car feels much more responsive and stays in gear longer just like before. :) ready to rip on demand!

I wish there was a way to turn that learning garbage off all together. IMO it's useless in city driving, just makes the car feel slugish over time.

!SG 09-09-2012 12:08 AM

if your car is still under warranty, book an appointment for an oil consumption test.

but a certain amount of oil burning is normal for the 63s.

and worse case scenario, if still under warranty, you can get a dealer to look into weather your tsu firmware is uptodate. it may just need to be reset and normalized.

AMGPWR 01-30-2013 08:31 PM

Wow. I totally forgot about this thread and it was the best news I've seen in a while. After the reset I really noticed the lack of delay in tranny response!

Much Appreciated!

As far as the oil consumption goes though I'm using about 1.5-2 litres per 10k. Do you think this is normal?

I always keep a bottle of 0-40 in my truck. One time I had to buy a single bottle from a canadian lube service outfit and they charged me $23 bucks... I prefer spending $11 at Canadian tire.

Thanks again

waynerz 02-04-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMGPWR (Post 8146860)
Wow. I totally forgot about this thread and it was the best news I've seen in a while. After the reset I really noticed the lack of delay in tranny response!

Much Appreciated!

As far as the oil consumption goes though I'm using about 1.5-2 litres per 10k. Do you think this is normal?

I always keep a bottle of 0-40 in my truck. One time I had to buy a single bottle from a canadian lube service outfit and they charged me $23 bucks... I prefer spending $11 at Canadian tire.

Thanks again

1.5-2 litres per 10k sounds pretty normal. I know that the AMG engines much like the Porsches drink more oil. I've heard from different people with 63 engines that they usually have to top up a couple of litres before every service. Have you tried calling MB to get their take?

beproud 03-16-2013 05:21 PM

omg, I should've read this thread sooner eh. Huge help