REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Need help/more info on moving to Red Deer, Alberta (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672872-need-help-more-info-moving-red-deer-alberta.html)

G 08-25-2012 11:13 PM

Need help/more info on moving to Red Deer, Alberta

I will be moving to Red Deer, Alberta near the end of September. I'm thinking of buying a car over there but I have no idea as to insurance and driver's licenses in Alberta.

I currently hold an N in Vancouver but can take my Class 5 test whenever. Would I be able to drive or get a license in Alberta without taking tests etc? Where would I find more info on insurance in Alberta? I'm assuming ICBC isn't in Alberta lol.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
:nyan:

Iceman-19 08-25-2012 11:30 PM

Has phoning an insurance/licensing place in Alberta occurred to you? A google search maybe?

G 08-26-2012 12:47 AM

:okay: Just seeing if anyone from Alberta or had experiences could help...

bcrdukes 08-26-2012 12:56 AM

Beyond.ca

Slifer 08-26-2012 04:41 AM

I did my class 5 test in BC before I moved to Alberta. Then I switched it to over to a class 5 Alberta license. You should do the same, its easier this way and if you are going to bring your car over, you have to get it inspected and it'll cost around $150-$200. PM me if you have more questions.

badjad 08-26-2012 08:05 AM

^ truth. Also, there is no public insurance in Alberta, its all greasy private insurance places.

keitaro 08-26-2012 08:21 AM

If you are under the age of 25, you're going to have a crazy expensive insurance. Insurance in Alberta is private, so you have to shop around for quotes.

MoBettah 08-26-2012 08:24 AM

Flip side of that is, if you're over 25 and have a good record, it's dirt dirt cheap.

There are very very large private companies that offer insurance but they may not be the cheapest. Companies like TD and State Farm can be competitive though.

TekDragon 08-26-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBettah (Post 8013187)
Flip side of that is, if you're over 25 and have a good record, it's dirt dirt cheap.

There are very very large private companies that offer insurance but they may not be the cheapest. Companies like TD and State Farm can be competitive though.

I used TD for insurance out in Edmonton. Found them to be cheaper than AMA.

B!tch 08-26-2012 10:36 AM

Switching Auto Insurance from BC to Alberta; How to Switch Insurance Companies - InsuranceAB.com

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan – Alberta Health

MSP - Leaving British Columbia

Gh0stRider 08-26-2012 11:13 AM

contact alberta registries. thats where i went to obtain a alberta ID.

you'll have to provide documentation of your residence.

G 08-26-2012 11:15 AM

Thanks for all the help! Sad thing is, I'm under 25... With no car... But I am thinking of purchasing a car in Alberta.

I will be PMing some of you for more help. Thanks again!

Gh0stRider 08-26-2012 11:45 AM

If you have a valid driver’s license from another part of Canada, you can exchange it for an equivalent Alberta license without having to write a test or pass a driving exam. However, you will have to show that you have no medical or vision problems that could stop you from driving safely.

To apply for your driver’s license you will have to to prove your identity. You will need to prove your in three ways: who you are, what you have and what you know.

Who you are:

To satisfy this criteria, you must show photo documentation that lists your legal name and your date of birth. At least one of the pieces of identification you choose to fulfill this requirement must prove that you are in Canada legally. This can include a Canadian passport, permanent residence card, or a foreign passport with a valid visa or permit.
Other forms of identification can include a driver’s license from another place, or most forms of government issued photo identification that proves who you are.

What you have:

To satisfy this criteria, you must be able to provide supporting documents proving that other agencies, people or companies have contact with you - and that you live in Alberta. These supporting documents must have at least two data elements, such as your date of birth, your signature or your address.
Supporting documentation can include supporting documentation like a Credit Card (with your signature), bank statements, income tax statements, property tax bill, mortgage bill, etc.

What you know

To satisfy this requirement, you may have to demonstrate that you know your personal details, and have your details checked against any information in the Alberta government’s Motor Vehicles System database.
All your documents must be originals or certified copies. You cannot use a photocopy of a document.

You can learn more about the documentation requirements from the Service Alberta Driver’s License Website.

Where to apply

You can apply for your Alberta Driver’s License at an approved Alberta Registry Agent.

G 08-26-2012 12:16 PM

^I wish I can thank you 100 times. THANKS!

impulseX 08-26-2012 12:36 PM

i don't know a lot of specifics but it seems like they've helped you cover them already.

i personally moved here from alberta so i imagine the process is similar?

1.) for BC license, i had to go to the registry and surrender my AB license. Because I had been driving for x number of years without any incidents, i received the class 5 for BC (was a class 5 gdl in AB)
2.) for vehicle, needed an out of province inspection which costed me around $100
3.) insurance (here is all ICBC so its fairly easy)
insurance in alberta has many companies. state farm, all state, various banks.. just gotta call around and ask for quotes

good luck with the move. i feel sorry for you moving just in time for winter (yes.. winter starts around october over there. bring your parka :D)

penner2k 08-28-2012 06:20 PM

I cant really help you with the question. BUT... Red Deer has at least 3 girls for every 2 dudes. I've actually heard its almost 2 to 1 out there.
Have fun

G 08-28-2012 06:39 PM

^Lol. Thanks for that info? Haha