REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   LED DRL Install (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673508-led-drl-install.html)

chouchou 09-07-2012 11:25 PM

LED DRL Install

Hello all,

I purchased an LED DRL set for my 2011 Hyundai Sonata recently, but had the impression that it was like other kits where they included a plug-and-play harness. The one that I received, however, are simply wires that need to be installed/crimped...... somehow.

I am fairly confident in my ability to DIY with a plug-and-play setup but I have no previous experience working with wiring. Given the circumstance, I don't want to attempt working with electricity etc. I am wondering if someone can either help me or point me to the right direction as to where I can get these installed!

I do have a copy of the installation manual, and would be happy to send a PM to anyone who wants to take a look and see if they can help me out.

It includes the addition of an inline fuse? and a spade connector? No clue. Apparently people on the forum where I bought it completed the DIY in an hour or so; but they've had wiring experience before.

TIA!

inv4zn 09-08-2012 12:13 AM

Please clarify your definition of DRL...do you want them during the day? On all the time? On with your parking lights?

chouchou 09-08-2012 12:57 AM

On all the time.

Fafine 09-08-2012 01:03 AM

funny, my friend showed me a text from his friend asking for help and seeing if i was down to help for the same thing
honestly, just try it.
it came with a manual right?

chouchou 09-08-2012 01:07 AM

If we're talking about the same person (evo?) then yeah I texted a friend about it. It did come with a.. rather brief manual, but I have no idea whatsoever with anything to do with electrical wiring.

BrRsn 09-08-2012 07:24 AM

You have two options:

A) Make or purchase a harness that connects directly to the battery and includes a relay/fuse for remote on.
B) Splice into existing wiring for some nearby lights

Option A is the correct way to do it. Option B is the quick and dirty way. If you go with option B your DRL's will only turn on when your light that you splice into is turned on.

With option A you can do all kinds of fancy shit with the relay wire. If you splice it to your interior lighting, everytime you lock/unlock your car your DRLs wil turn on. If you splice it into something that only turns on when the car is on, they'll act as DRLs, or you can do both.

You could get something like this Diode Dynamics HID Relay Installation and modify as needed

inv4zn 09-08-2012 08:44 AM

^x2.

There are always differences between cars...for example my accord uses high beams as DRL's, at half power. When I turn on the headlights, the DRL's will turn off.

So you're going to have to look at some wiring diagrams for your car, figure out where the DRL in your car are powered from, and then tap into that using a relay.

If you're not comfortable, I'd say you should ask around for some friends who may know a bit more...taking it to a shop would be a waste of money in this case.

dsmalls 09-25-2012 12:07 PM

The DRL module for Sonatas are a pain in the ass. Piggy-backing is one way to go and you could, with the appropriate wiring, piggy back off of both the high beam and low beam to have the LEDs on all the time.