REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   "Chase, arrest follow Burnaby bank robbery" (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673683-chase-arrest-follow-burnaby-bank-robbery.html)

Bahhbeehhaaaa 09-11-2012 07:34 PM

"Chase, arrest follow Burnaby bank robbery"

Quote:

METRO VANCOUVER -- A Monday morning robbery at the TD bank at Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway turned into a chase that led to one man being arrested and the police on the hunt for a second man.

Just before 11 a.m., a man entered the bank branch, produced a handgun and demanded money. He then fled the bank with an undetermined amount of cash.

While the robbery was in progress, police officers from the Burnaby RCMP's integrated road safety unit were in the area and witnessed the robbery in progress through the bank's window. They saw the man run out the back door of the bank and jump into a stolen Honda Accord sedan being driven by a second man.

The Accord managed to get away, but was soon involved in a minor collision with a rented U-Haul van near the intersection of Esmond Avenue and Pender Street. The bumper from the stolen car became locked with the bumper on the rental van and the two robbery suspects ran from the scene while being chased by two men from the rental van.

The two men from the rental van, thinking only that the two men were running from the traffic accident, were able to catch and detain one of the men, who was taken to Burnaby Hospital for minor injuries. The second man was able to escape and remains at-large.

Police are asking for the public's assistance in locating a man wearing camouflage pants who was last seen in the Boundary Road and East Pender Street area of Burnaby. Anyone with information is asked to call the Burnaby RCMP main detachment at 604-294-7922.
Chase, arrest follow Burnaby bank robbery

Robbing Fail:lawl::lawl: chased by police and civilians

XplicitLuder 09-11-2012 07:40 PM

caught by civilians. even better LOL

bballguy 09-11-2012 07:40 PM

Wait, so let me get this straight.....The police WATCHED the robbery happen, saw the man run out the backdoor and jump into the Accord, and he managed to get away from them....yet some random guy was able to catch them by foot??

wat

Gnomes 09-11-2012 07:54 PM

I am very glad it ended with the handgun not used against the civilian. Cold have been tragic.

Vale46Rossi 09-11-2012 08:11 PM

wow fail.

Eros250 09-11-2012 08:47 PM

glad no one got hurt, robbers pulling guns and shooting people.

guava 09-11-2012 09:26 PM

c'mon rcmp step your game upppp

dangonay 09-11-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8026890)
Wait, so let me get this straight.....The police WATCHED the robbery happen, saw the man run out the backdoor and jump into the Accord, and he managed to get away from them....yet some random guy was able to catch them by foot??

The police might not have been in a cruiser when they witnessed the robbery and the Accord got away before they could get to their car. They could have been on bikes. Or they could have called off the chase due to risk.

Police can't win. If they continue a high-speed pursuit they're endangering lives. If they call a pursuit off they let the bad guys get away.

sdubfid 09-11-2012 09:43 PM

I hope the robbers minor injuries were sustained when he tripped and fell onto the uhaul guys fists and not from the fender bender

Meowjin 09-11-2012 10:08 PM

The two men from the rental van, thinking only that the two men were running from the traffic accident, were able to catch and detain one of the men, who was taken to Burnaby Hospital for minor injuries.

HAHAHHAHAH THEY GOT BEAT UP

EmperorIS 09-11-2012 10:30 PM

If my house ever gets robbed, I'm calling U-Haul.

Cereal Killer 09-11-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8026890)

wat

Intregrated Road Safety Unit = Traffic Police. Therefore, they don't have the training nor the authority to respond to a crime/engage in pursuit.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 09-11-2012 10:49 PM

what...? cereal.. u gotta learn and know your rights man

Cereal Killer 09-11-2012 10:58 PM

Spoke with a traffic cop a while ago and that's what he told me...

Cereal Killer 09-11-2012 11:08 PM

Bahhbeehhaaaa, I think I know what you mean now. Saw this from the Ministry of Justice: "IRSUs focus exclusively on pro-active traffic enforcement to help reduce serious collisions, while other traffic police combine enforcement with response to calls and crash investigations"

So I guess Traffic Police can respond to calls but IRSUs can't.

Shorn 09-11-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (Post 8027088)
Intregrated Road Safety Unit = Traffic Police. Therefore, they don't have the training nor the authority to respond to a crime/engage in pursuit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (Post 8027111)
Bahhbeehhaaaa, I think I know what you mean now. Saw this from the Ministry of Justice: "IRSUs focus exclusively on pro-active traffic enforcement to help reduce serious collisions, while other traffic police combine enforcement with response to calls and crash investigations"

... this is not 'responding to a call'. i don't care what your position is, if you are a sworn member of the police force and you carry a gun then you have a responsibility to civilians.

you're telling me a traffic cop will not bust your ass if you do something illegal other than being in a car?

and please explain to me exactly HOW a traffic cop is not trained to engage in pursuit :fulloffuck:

'oh there he goes, he's not stopping for me, might as well call backup and just stop here. can't pursuit him cause i'm a traffic cop'

http://i.imgur.com/q3O8A.gif

7seven 09-12-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (Post 8027102)
Spoke with a traffic cop a while ago and that's what he told me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (Post 8027111)

You are confusing RCMP's IRSU with guys like VPD Traffic Authority personnel. RCMP's IRSU is much like VPD's Traffic Section Unit, fully sworn peace officers assigned to traffic section. You are thinking about personnel like the Traffic Authority, the guys you see block off streets during Canuck games, fireworks, concerts, etc..

In simple terms..........

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/7...5c05c784_z.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2503/3...749713b2_z.jpg

Rather its

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/7...5c05c784_z.jpg

=

http://www.vancouverpolicemuseum.ca/...11/06/car1.jpg

Cereal Killer 09-12-2012 06:58 AM

7seven, thanks for the clarification :)

Shorn, the Traffic Authority member I spoke with said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that they do not receive as much training as actual Police Officers do, so I interpreted that as things such as pursuit was not taught to them. And after reading 7seven's post, I realize I confused Traffic Authority with Traffic Police :okay:

Oscar_Binswood 09-12-2012 07:24 AM

Integrated Road Safety Unit - IRSU
IRSU is just a different section consisting of members from different municipalities. They're still regular members who received the same training as GD/patrol members.

Cereal Killer 09-12-2012 07:41 AM

^ Thanks for the further clarification :)

mekaw 09-12-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8027079)
If my house ever gets robbed, I'm calling U-Haul.

if you need bail, call saul