REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Another dashcam thread: Witnessed Car Accident Today (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673730-another-dashcam-thread-witnessed-car-accident-today.html)

ilvtofu 09-12-2012 06:12 PM

Another dashcam thread: Witnessed Car Accident Today

Got my blackvue DR380 installed on my miata yesterday although this video is recorded on my crappy ebay cam on my other car.
Accident happened around 6 so it hasn't even been an hour.

Accident was between a lady on a black ruckus and the XC90
Pulled over and called the ambulance as a guy who reportedly knew the rider was keeping her calm. Ambulance only took 2 minutes to arrive, pretty impressive and all her family was there in about 10 minutes lol. After the police took information from the driver of the car and the family members I gave them the video you see and all my info in case they need a witness.

While they were taking the other's info I took the 10 minute clip and edited it down with my laptop (just got off class) I tethered my phone and emailed the clip to the VPD officer. Everyone seemed pretty surprised I caught it all on video and I explained to them why we use these and how they work.

Having a dash cam isn't just for yourself but others on the road who might be involved in an unfortunate incident such as this.

dink 09-12-2012 07:08 PM

It's people like you that give hope to humanity.

Marco911 09-12-2012 07:25 PM

I'm surprised the biker seeing the XC90 pulling out didn't slow down enough to avoid colliding with the vehicle.

asr 09-12-2012 07:27 PM

So question is who's fault now? X90 100% fault?

ilvtofu 09-12-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asr (Post 8027883)
So question is who's fault now? X90 100% fault?

XC90 drove through a stop sign with pretty bad judgement, I would be furious if they weren't 100% at fault.

@marco The overall impact speed was not that fast, I believe the lady on the ruckus was already trying to slow down. The damage on the ruckus didn't seem too severe although it doesn't really have any body panels so I can't really say for sure. There weren't any fluids leaking which was one of the first questions the 911 operator asked me, one of the headlights were cracked and obviously it fell on the ground.

I have another clip from when I took the cam off my dash while I was talking to the 911 operator, you might be able to see the damage in that clip but I'm not sure haven't looked at it yet

Brother in law of the scooter rider said she is in the hospital waiting for a CT scan

Verdasco 09-12-2012 07:51 PM

100% the XC90... sees ongoing traffic from BOTH sides and decide to play frogger :derp:

ilvtofu 09-12-2012 08:14 PM

Here's a screenshot from the clip kinda shows the damage to the XC90 couldn't get the video loaded onto imovie so I just took a pic. Can't really tell how bad the ruckus or the lady is. The ruckus looked like a ruckus afterwards but I wasn't inspecting it closely or anything
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38537863_n.jpg

Teriyaki 09-12-2012 08:22 PM

20-something ave and arbutus? :)

ilvtofu 09-12-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teriyaki (Post 8027957)
20-something ave and arbutus? :)

22nd and Macdonald but you're right about Trafalgar area. That area is dangerous, lots of inattentive chinese people and student drivers. ICBC licensing office is 3 blocks down.

ilvtofu 09-18-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Dear Justin,

This is just a brief note to say thank you for your help. The video
has been helpful in so many ways. Not only in having visual proof of
what happened, thereby, lessening the questions I and my family have
had to face. But also in understanding the physical implications. My
medical care team seeing the accident having understanding of current
and future physical implications.

Again, from my family and mostly from myself, thank you.

Update from the scooter rider

dsot 09-18-2012 02:56 PM

^ :fullofwin:

Vale46Rossi 09-19-2012 12:57 PM

I am sure ASR is going to get a lot of calls this week.

optiblue 09-19-2012 02:56 PM

Everyone should have a dash cam :)
Posted via RS Mobile

Shikigami-GTR 09-23-2012 11:47 PM

good job