REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Maaco paintjob for front bumper (https://www.revscene.net/forums/673802-maaco-paintjob-front-bumper.html)

inv4zn 09-14-2012 08:56 AM

Maaco paintjob for front bumper

Yes I know it's been asked a thousand times, but there's a groupon for one body panel paint at Maaco for $160.

My front bumper and small portion of hood is SPRAYED with rock chips from previous owner, and I couldn't justify repainting it for the ~$1000 (perfectly reasonable) most recommended body shops were asking.

What are the effects of a shitty paintjob from Maaco, other than that it's done by a 15 year old?

Should I stay away even if it's $160? (Regular price is something like $400)

knight604 09-14-2012 10:24 AM

2 Body parts shouldn't cost more than 600-800 for both and thats with best shops around town.

I saw that too on my playbook yesterday and was wondering the same thing, i did a little search on RS and seems like everyone says to stay away.

lowside67 09-14-2012 10:28 AM

Go to Starlite Autobody in Burnaby at 604-438-9898. They do excellent work for under $500 and possibly less depending on how difficult your bumper is to remove, etc.

seakrait 09-14-2012 02:25 PM

if you care at all about colour-matching (depending on how old your car is) and just the general quality of the workmanship, just be aware that you get what you pay for.

don't forget there's always the option of going to our RS sponsor Boyd Autobody in Richmond.

Lomac 09-14-2012 02:47 PM

Personally I would avoid Maaco like the plague. My brother had them do a ton of bodywork on his old car before they painted it. Things like fixing dents, getting rid of rust, etc. The car came out from the shop looking great and the work sheet said all the rust was taken care of, etc. Fastforward a few months to when his car gets hit on the same section where they did all the repair work... Low and behold, underneath the great new paint job was aalllllll the rust they said they had gotten rid of and repaired.

Fuckers. :angry:

So, yes, you get what you pay for. In your case, you wont even get basic bodywork on your bumper in case there are dents or nicks or anything else that needs repairing. They'll simply slap some cheap paint on it, likely without even pulling the bumper off the car, and try to upsell you a lot of shit that you don't really need.

As Seakrait said, check out Boyd. They've got some decent deals for Revscene members that are worth looking into.

inv4zn 09-14-2012 10:38 PM

Well I originally called Fast Track as a lot of people were recommending them, and i was quoted ~$1000 for repainting bumper + hood, with blending into fenders.

pintoBC_3sgte 09-15-2012 05:39 AM

not my car but this is maaco work on his front bumper. looked good when it came out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5celica_01.jpg

year..year and a half later....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...-12_GT4_11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...-12_GT4_12.jpg

like mentioned above...avoid like the plague or your bumper will end up looking like it HAS the plague!

inv4zn 09-15-2012 09:18 AM

wow lol

Spidey 09-15-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8029955)
Well I originally called Fast Track as a lot of people were recommending them, and i was quoted ~$1000 for repainting bumper + hood, with blending into fenders.

depending on your paint colour, you may or may not need or want to blend into the fenders.. It's really up to you. But because the fenders were part of the quote, 1000 isn't unreasonable, as you are essentially getting 4 parts painted.

inv4zn 09-15-2012 02:00 PM

It's a charcoal gray. I'm not saying $1000 isn't reasonable, I'm just saying it's a LOT more than the $160 lol.

But after looking at the pictures above I'll probably just save up and do it right.

Thanks guys :)

Spidey 09-15-2012 02:53 PM

You might be able to get away with no having to blend the fenders.. depending on the flakes in the paint and how picky you are

freakshow 09-19-2012 10:16 AM

For 160, i would only do it if it was my daily beater. like a real beater, not like i'm an 18 year old chinese kid and i drive the R8 instead of the Ferrari beater.

moody 10-07-2012 01:09 AM

I heard rumors about maaco, that they”ll give the amount of supply that u paid for to.the painter and usually its.not enuf to do a good job. So thr painter will end using a scuff pad and scuff ur car parts. In a yr or so it”ll dull or peel off. So beware. U will get what u pay for.
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 10-07-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8029600)
Personally I would avoid Maaco like the plague. My brother had them do a ton of bodywork on his old car before they painted it. Things like fixing dents, getting rid of rust, etc. The car came out from the shop looking great and the work sheet said all the rust was taken care of, etc. Fastforward a few months to when his car gets hit on the same section where they did all the repair work... Low and behold, underneath the great new paint job was aalllllll the rust they said they had gotten rid of and repaired.

Fuckers. :angry:

So, yes, you get what you pay for. In your case, you wont even get basic bodywork on your bumper in case there are dents or nicks or anything else that needs repairing. They'll simply slap some cheap paint on it, likely without even pulling the bumper off the car, and try to upsell you a lot of shit that you don't really need.

As Seakrait said, check out Boyd. They've got some decent deals for Revscene members that are worth looking into.

Just wanted to add a picture to this as I finally found it hidden on my FB page.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._2362361_n.jpg

Yeah... all that rust you see was allegedly "fixed" by Maaco. Obviously all they did was bondo up the existing dent and rust and painted it, even though they claimed to have cut it all out and repaired it.

:facepalm:

I will never ever take a car to Maaco, even if all I needed painted was a windshield wiper arm.

moody 10-07-2012 08:49 AM

I work at a bodyshop and its hard for us when icbc gives us a used hood or rebar that is to be replaced on ur car when the part is all rusted to shits or with a lot of rock chips. we at thr bodyshop (painter&bodyman) will fight about thr condition of thepart with our manages asking them to get another one. We””ll end up cleanin up as much as we can, paint it and slap it on. Itll look good, but U can never get rid or rust, it.like cancer.
Posted via RS Mobile

Truenosan 10-08-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moody (Post 8048910)
I work at a bodyshop and its hard for us when icbc gives us a used hood or rebar that is to be replaced on ur car when the part is all rusted to shits or with a lot of rock chips. we at thr bodyshop (painter&bodyman) will fight about thr condition of thepart with our manages asking them to get another one. We””ll end up cleanin up as much as we can, paint it and slap it on. Itll look good, but U can never get rid or rust, it.like cancer.
Posted via RS Mobile

Then you are doing it wrong. If you are going to be using a recycled part for an ICBC claim, the part has to be in good condition. If it has rust, or repairs beyond an hr or two, send it back.

Lomac 10-09-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moody (Post 8048910)
Posted via RS Mobile

In my brother's case, though, it wasn't an ICBC claim. He had a replacement rear quarter panel they were supposed to weld in and replace the rusted area. He was charged for it, even though they didn't do it.