REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

That sucks Lol i was changing the song on my iphone at a red light and a cop pulls up right besides me and says "you know thats illegal right" and drives offf. I got lucky i guess
Advertisement
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #52
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

don't want to create a new thread but i just got a ticket at the intersection right by coquitlam center as i was pulling out from work....

funny enough is i am a marketing cellphone rep and just got off after an 8 hour shift, 6 of my demo cellphones were dead or close to it so all i did was plug one of the phones in the car charger and got flagged...it was at a red light...

i was 'holding' the cellphone to plug it in but had no intention of using it...would this be considered illegal? any point in disputing it or lost cause?

i guess i am in somewhat of an unique situation....the cop didn't even bother hearing me out and kept telling me to 'you can take it to court to dispute it'...
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #53
I subscribe to Revscene

Were you holding it in a way it could be used? I'm sure the officer could argue that by plugging it in to charge you were operating the charging function.

While I think it's pathetic to nail someone for plugging in a phone or other accessory while stopped at a light, you had just pulled out of work and probably could have plugged it in before leaving the parking lot.

I was watching a woman in a Hyundai today - both hands texting, no hand on the wheel while moving in the left lane in busy traffic. It's sad that the law considers the act of that woman to be equally as dangerous to the act of plugging in a phone while stopped.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Take it to court! There was a lady that was in the same situation and she took it to court and won, the judge let her go since she was holding it and not using it to talk. Don't let these cop rack up their quotas
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #55
I subscribe to Revscene

Hopefully the more people who take these tickets to court, the more the police will focus on people using the device in a moving car.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #56
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Take it to court! There was a lady that was in the same situation and she took it to court and won, the judge let her go since she was holding it and not using it to talk. Don't let these cop rack up their quotas
Posted via RS Mobile
if you weren't breaking the law, these "quotas" you all think police have, wouldn't be "met", now would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Were you holding it in a way it could be used? I'm sure the officer could argue that by plugging it in to charge you were operating the charging function.

While I think it's pathetic to nail someone for plugging in a phone or other accessory while stopped at a light, you had just pulled out of work and probably could have plugged it in before leaving the parking lot.

I was watching a woman in a Hyundai today - both hands texting, no hand on the wheel while moving in the left lane in busy traffic. It's sad that the law considers the act of that woman to be equally as dangerous to the act of plugging in a phone while stopped.
You fail to realize that police do have some discretion. But this new law has been in effect for a few years now, that everyone knows they run the risk of getting a ticket for having their phone or electronic device in their hand. Like I have said before, as a driver you SHOULD be aware of what is, and what isn't illegal. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerche View Post
don't want to create a new thread but i just got a ticket at the intersection right by coquitlam center as i was pulling out from work....

funny enough is i am a marketing cellphone rep and just got off after an 8 hour shift, 6 of my demo cellphones were dead or close to it so all i did was plug one of the phones in the car charger and got flagged...it was at a red light...

i was 'holding' the cellphone to plug it in but had no intention of using it...would this be considered illegal? any point in disputing it or lost cause?

i guess i am in somewhat of an unique situation....the cop didn't even bother hearing me out and kept telling me to 'you can take it to court to dispute it'...
Have you not read anything in this thread? Having been off work, what was your need to charge your phones in your car? Unless you needed them charged so you could use them on your ride home, why couldn't you charge them when you were at home?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #57
I STILL don't get it

Maybe he wasn't going straight home after work. I would love to charge my dead phone is I were going out after work.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #58
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Maybe he wasn't going straight home after work. I would love to charge my dead phone is I were going out after work.
I think what BlueG2 is trying to say is why charge if you aren't gonna use it while driving?

I'll be honest, you can't really prove that one is actually using the phone while driving..... BUT that's precisely why ppl shouldn't even lay finger on their phone at all while operating the car, regardless of the reason.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #59
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
Have you not read anything in this thread? Having been off work, what was your need to charge your phones in your car? Unless you needed them charged so you could use them on your ride home, why couldn't you charge them when you were at home?
it was a demo phone that was close to dead and i had to submit an end of the report through the phone with a 90 min window after my shift so yes, i need to use it right when i get home.
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #60
I bringith the lowerballerith

So turn it off to save battery, get home, plug it in, turn it on and then send. Not rocket science. Or, pull over into a parking lot, plug it in and send whatever report you need to send, then drive.

Or (and this might be a stretch for you, apparently), send the report before you leave your work parking lot.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote