REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   attention Honda Mechanics, Help!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674622-attention-honda-mechanics-help.html)

wasabisashimi 10-01-2012 03:24 PM

attention Honda Mechanics, Help!!

Is it my luck or some designed flaw in the 1999-2000 honda V6 engines.

This happened to me twice now on our odessey and accord after timing belt and water pump service.

After the belt/pump change, the power steering pump starts to make whiny noise when turning steering wheels.

Could the major service cause failure in power steering pump? I know they had to lift the engine or so, but honda technicians told me they dont ever touch the power steering pump during timing belt and water pump changes.

They even did a power steering fluid flush and make sure there are no air bubbles. It didnt fix the problem.

Finally putting in a new power steering pump made everything quiet.

My first incident 4 years ago (honda odessey) : middlegate honda changed my power steering pump without any charges..

Today is my second incident (v6 accord): Surrey Honda decided that it wasn't their fault as the mechanic told the manager, he didnt touch the pump or did anything causing the problem. So I have to pay out of my pocket for this on top of my belt service.

It is WAY TOO coincidental for both cars to have a failed power steering pump for the same type of service from two separate dealership.

Has this ever happened to anyone while replacing someone's timing belt on a HONDA V6 engine?

Please help, I just want to understand how this could happen, Is this purely luck or something to do with HOW the mechanic replaced the belt and waterpump.

Both times, both cars had no power steering problem going into the shop.

I dont care if I paid for the replacement pump, but I wonder what had happened

Holeshot 10-01-2012 05:59 PM

Design flaw. It happens when they take the tension off the p/s belt and tension it again. I was told it happens sometimes and prepare for it. I haven't done my timing belt yet but a new p/s pump is on my list to be replaced. Some shops will even include the pump in the estimate just incase it does fail like yours did.
Posted via RS Mobile

wasabisashimi 10-02-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holeshot (Post 8044163)
Design flaw. It happens when they take the tension off the p/s belt and tension it again. I was told it happens sometimes and prepare for it. I haven't done my timing belt yet but a new p/s pump is on my list to be replaced. Some shops will even include the pump in the estimate just incase it does fail like yours did.
Posted via RS Mobile

So it's the mechanics fault Due to Hondas bad design?

Glove 10-02-2012 07:13 AM

saw dealership,

stopped reading

Puck Luck 10-02-2012 11:22 PM

99-2000 v-6's, seen a few problems as you described, but not too many. Lots on the newer Odysseys. (05 and newer)
Honestly...i'm not quite sure why that would happen. But it does sound like air is getting into the P/S system. We've talked about this in the past in our shop and figure what Holeshot said above is whats happened. A weak pump is working ok but then gets disturbed from having the belt tension changed.

I know some of you guys have mentioned there was a bulletin about an o ring in the inlet pipe of the pump letting in air causing this type of problem. But because the hydrolic system is never opened up i cant see this being the case. I think it may be getting in through the front seal behind the pulley.

Which also puzzles me a bit because ALOT of the accords and civics of the 90's had p/s fluid leaks from the front seal of the pump and never caused a problem with the steering. Easy enough to fix though.
So i'm curious if your old pump could be repaired by replacing the front seal and bearing.
Sorry i couldnt be more help but its something i'm not 100% sure of. But i do think Holeshot is barking up the right tree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove (Post 8044673)
saw dealership,

stopped reading

What?

Daniel_K 10-04-2012 09:34 PM

We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey with a tow package for our business. We drive it quite a bit, and haven't had any issues yet. I think we're gearing up for a timing belt replacement soon though. I'll have to mention this to the owner.

PK-EK 10-05-2012 09:47 PM

New MDX has power steering pump recalls.
they are shit.

EGcorez 10-29-2012 04:30 PM

could be how they move the ps reservoir out of the way to room for the timing belt service (kink the hoses etc) idk im overthinking now