REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Big White vs Sun Peaks for Skiing/Snowboarding - Which one? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674642-big-white-vs-sun-peaks-skiing-snowboarding-one.html)

kungpow 10-01-2012 11:43 PM

Big White vs Sun Peaks for Skiing/Snowboarding - Which one?

I'm have checked stats for each mountain and reviews online. I just want to have a fabulous time skiing on the mountain. I don't really care much about the resort or night life. I have been to the local mountains (Cypress, Grouse, Seymour, Whistler) countless number of times and I would like to try something similar to Whistler.

Which one do you prefer and why? I will be coming from Vancouver, will a car with snow tires be sufficient for the drive on the Coquihalla highway?

Big White:
Pros
- 200cm on avg more snow than Sun Peaks
- family oriented. Good for kids.
- decent night life and resort
- night skiing closes around 9-10pm

Cons
- know for white out conditions (extreme fog and snow)
- smaller mountain

Sun Peaks
Pros
- drier snow
- usually sunny
- third largest mountain in Canada
- less beginners and kids

Cons
-200cm on avg less snow than Big White
-no night life
-small resort
-night skiing closes at 7pm

yogenfruz 10-01-2012 11:59 PM

Being native to Sun Peaks, I'll try to stay unbiased with this.

I've ridden both and loved both. Sun Peaks has a lot of good weather days, awesome runs for every ability level and if you go across the road to Mt. Morrisey, there's a lot of good Blue/Black runs if you're into that. The main places for eating are generally packed (Bento's), but if you go to Masa's, it's an awesome spot to have a few drinks and some good food. Nightlife is yes, minimal.

Big White for me was super fun, I love the thrill of a new mountain. I went there knowing it was smaller, but it definitely felt like there was more there; more area to ride, more lifts(that were fast), and more places to eat. It was whiteout for half the time I was there, however, which was a bit of a downfall. But with there being more places for food and drinks, brings a greater nightlife. Also, Kelowna is a lot busier at night than Kamloops.

Overall, maybe it's because I've gotten somewhat bored of Sun Peaks, but I'd say Big White from my experience. I just had so much fun there, the park is better, the snow is relatively the same, and it just felt way more like a Resort than Sun Peaks.

kungpow 10-02-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogenfruz (Post 8044583)
Being native to Sun Peaks

Sun Peaks has 3 high speed chairlifts and Big White has 5.

Are the non-high speed chairlifts at Sun Peaks agonizing slow like at Seymour?

TOS'd 10-02-2012 12:26 AM

New high speed quad lift at seymour for this coming season though. :fullofwin:

Hurricane 10-02-2012 07:21 AM

Having spent more than 100 days riding at each over a period of many years, I can say without a doubt, Big White is better.

Snow/Temperature/Restaurants/Night Life/Character/Slopes/Activities

Everything is better at Big White.

There are not so far apart. Actually they are freakishly similar, but Big White has the edge in every category. That said, if you spend all your time on the locals, Sun Peaks would blow them all away.

The only pro about Sun Peaks, would be the drive. If you are going in the middle of winter, the connecter to Kelowna can get pretty dicey. Not that the Coquihalla can't, but its significantly safer.

Unless you are getting Sun Peaks for a lot cheaper, I wouldn't bother.

If you need more specific details, let me know.

Snow tires on a FWD will be fine for both. If you're going during the worst season (Dec-Feb) I would pack chains just to be safe. Slow and steady is the rule for snow/blizzards. If you start sliding, don't touch the brakes or accel. - just the steering wheel.

Hurricane 10-02-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 8044598)
New high speed quad lift at seymour for this coming season though. :fullofwin:

Yeah, that 210m vertical is almost exactly the same as Big White's Gem Lake Quad (711m). :ilied:

The T-bar at Sun Peaks is 333m high, just for comparisons.

Hehe 10-02-2012 07:45 AM

From my past experience, I like Sun Peaks more than Big White.

I usually go with a bunch of Taiwanese friends and not having a night life wasn't too much of a concern to us.

SP felt more village-like. And in comparison to BW, it's often way less crowded.

And the drier snow is definitely better. I have a pretty awesome setup for snowboarding, so really, getting wet is not an issue. But when the snow is wet, the ride is just so much different. It's colder, messier and more difficult to turn (slower)...

My vote goes to SP.

yogenfruz 10-02-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungpow (Post 8044595)
Sun Peaks has 3 high speed chairlifts and Big White has 5.

Are the non-high speed chairlifts at Sun Peaks agonizing slow like at Seymour?

I've had times where it took ten or more minutes to get to the top of the lift, and that's not the top of the mountain.
Posted via RS Mobile

gilly 10-02-2012 10:05 AM

Big white is better. routes are more interesting and the chairs are fast. sometimes it can be quite foggy and windy at the very top tho.

Hurricane 10-02-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8044688)
SP felt more village-like. And in comparison to BW, it's often way less crowded.

There is no soul in Sun Peaks village. It's like a recent residential neighborhood. A bunch of new buildings, emulating 'european' style, with zero character.

Big White has a lot of old things sprinkled in, which give it personality.

It's less crowded because less people want to go there - and it's next to Kamloops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8044688)
And the drier snow is definitely better. I have a pretty awesome setup for snowboarding, so really, getting wet is not an issue. But when the snow is wet, the ride is just so much different. It's colder, messier and more difficult to turn (slower)...

Yeah that horrible coastal snow at Big White usually soaks me to the bone. :rukidding: Have you even been to Big White? Sounds like you're comparing Sun Peaks to Grouse in the Spring.

Getting wet at either mountain during the winter months is NEVER an issue.

Skiing on a sheet of ice, covered in a lame dusting of 'champagne powder,' is always an issue at Sun Peaks.

The snow isn't even remotely comparable. For anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time at both, this is obvious.

Big White gets about 6 more feet per year. Yes, 6 EXTRA feet of snow.

Every time you ride through the trees at Sun Peaks, you pretty much expect to hit rocks and roots. At Big White, almost never.

There is less chance of sunshine at Big White, but if you're after that, go to the beach. Skiing in waist deep powder in the dense fog - is actually pretty awesome.

Also, Sun Peaks gets well below -20 on occasion. See how much you enjoy the sun when your face is disfigured with frostbite.

I know my response sounds kind of harsh - truthfully I love both mountains. But I have spent a lot of time at both, and while there may be the odd day that Sun Peaks is better than Big White, overall there is a clear winner.

TOS'd 10-02-2012 10:13 AM

I'm going to thread jack for a minute here. But have you been to Mt.Baker, or Mount Washington on the island? Any thoughts compared to Whistler, since I've yet to go to Big White or Sun Peaks.

Culverin 10-02-2012 12:53 PM

Big White wins on almost every front.
Except for 2.

I could be mistaken, but isn't Sun Peaks a little more newb friendly?
And doesn't Big White have more poor visibility days?

Akinari 10-02-2012 01:05 PM

I've always been a fan of Sun Peaks, and having never been to Big White I can't actually say much. However, I will say that during the period I'm usually down at Sun Peaks, which is around Christmas, the conditions can get rather icy, making snowboarding somewhat difficult than just fresh powder.

bigzz786786 10-02-2012 01:09 PM

big white! dem aussie chicks! :megusta:

westopher 10-02-2012 01:31 PM

I'd also say big white, but if you are a serious skier/snowboarder, drive a couple more hours and go to revelstoke. Its pretty life changing. Big white and sun peaks are fun, but when comparing them to whistler, you will wonder why you spent the extra time in the car for something that really just wants to be whistler. Revy is a totally different riding experience, especially mid week if you can plan it.

kakucaekz 10-02-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akinari-kun (Post 8044922)
I've always been a fan of Sun Peaks, and having never been to Big White I can't actually say much. However, I will say that during the period I'm usually down at Sun Peaks, which is around Christmas, the conditions can get rather icy, making snowboarding somewhat difficult than just fresh powder.

You are there during Christmas too? Wtf, I've been going there with my family every Christmas break for the last 12 years lol, always been at the Cahilty Lodge lol.

And although I've ski'd and stayed at both resorts, I have a bias for Sun Peaks lol. I know all three mountains like the back of my hand, it's kinda scary. But then, it really is more of a family oriented place with nice weather and good variety of runs.

Big White though, if you're willing to travel the extra bit, is gonna be a better choice. The powder there is godly :sweetjesus: Only been there once, but going through that powder that often blows over your head is something you gotta do. Apparently the night life and party scene is bigger too. Didn't really know at the time I went; I was like, 10 years old :lol

saucywoman 10-02-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogenfruz (Post 8044583)
Being native to Sun Peaks, I'll try to stay unbiased with this.

I've ridden both and loved both. Sun Peaks has a lot of good weather days, awesome runs for every ability level and if you go across the road to Mt. Morrisey, there's a lot of good Blue/Black runs if you're into that. The main places for eating are generally packed (Bento's), but if you go to Masa's, it's an awesome spot to have a few drinks and some good food. Nightlife is yes, minimal.

Big White for me was super fun, I love the thrill of a new mountain. I went there knowing it was smaller, but it definitely felt like there was more there; more area to ride, more lifts(that were fast), and more places to eat. It was whiteout for half the time I was there, however, which was a bit of a downfall. But with there being more places for food and drinks, brings a greater nightlife. Also, Kelowna is a lot busier at night than Kamloops.

Overall, maybe it's because I've gotten somewhat bored of Sun Peaks, but I'd say Big White from my experience. I just had so much fun there, the park is better, the snow is relatively the same, and it just felt way more like a Resort than Sun Peaks.

Bro pretty much nailed it.
With sun peaks I loved that there were three mountains. One of the runs is 5 miles long. There are 3 mountains so a lot more runs and even on the shortest chair id say those ones are comparable to cypress. There are a lot more sunny days but yes sometimes the snowfall isn't there and it gets icy. The west bowl t is generally full of glorious fairly untouched pow on a good snowfall day.

I liked big white but found the runs we're a lot shorter but that's for an advanced beginner ability.
Nightlife in sun peaks usually everyone gathers at bottoms and there's a club (name escapes me ATM) but that's about it. Luckily it's all within walking distance if you're staying up there as opposed to Kamloops. Big white I stayed with a friend so not sure what they have on resort for nightlife. If you're staying in town then you'll have a few good options to choose from. If you pm RRxtr he can prob pass on some recommendations.
Overall maybe go with whatever's cheaper if it's a fairly significant difference.

With snow tires you'll be fine for either. The coq can get bad, if driven where I did 50-60/70 pretty much the whole way on a clear day because of the snowfall they had received prior to me getting on the road. Just drive relative to conditions and you'll be fine.
Posted via RS Mobile

terryjai 10-02-2012 06:12 PM

big white is much better IMO....FYI...just stay away from the run that's in the village (the one you have to go thru the tunnel....people will know which one im talking about if you have ever been to big white) NOOBS ALWAYS BAIL THERE AND SIT AND CHILL!!! while you have no where to go except into them and making you bail like a nub!

Hehe 10-02-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 8044794)
Yeah that horrible coastal snow at Big White usually soaks me to the bone. :rukidding: Have you even been to Big White? Sounds like you're comparing Sun Peaks to Grouse in the Spring.

I have been to both BW and SP twice. Once at opening of the season and another time during Spring break IIRC.

For the twice I was there, BW wasn't in good condition at all. The snow wasn't too dry and on top of the mountain was bumpy as hell because of all the Skiers.

SP on the other hand was awesome. (The first trip, we went to BW for season opening/promo tix and then did SP on the way back) Great powder, no line-ups and overall a very good snowboarding experience.

Maybe I caught a bad season/date. But the experience told me SP offered me a more consistant good experience.

Tegra_Devil 10-02-2012 07:06 PM

Okay, I believe i should be good at this one. I grew up in kamloops and riding SP and I worked at BW as a Pro-Patroller.

Okay, first of all, I do believe SP is a bigger resort. The only night life at BW is Snowshoe sams, i believe racelles is closed and happy valley is gay. I havent been back to SP for night life, but dont they have mack daddies and some other places?

SP destroys BW any day for weather conditions. I can honestly say that since i rode BW absolutely EVERY SINGLE day for a whole season, and I know exactly what BW weather is like. The best is when u get an emergency call from the alpine and you cant find your own snowboard outside your shed, let alone see your hand(good luck at finding your patient......or in your case your friends)

BW wins as being family oriented. but fuck screaming kids, they can go to BW...ill go to SP.

A MAJOR POINT to take into consideration. The average snowfall doesnt matter when comparing SP to BW. BW is a giant boulder, whereas, SP is a dirt based mountain. BW needs a shitload of snow to even cover the board-rippeing nuggets. SP doesnt need much snow to cover and then build a good base.

There are plenty of great backcountry at both if you know your way around.

The one thing i did like about BW over SP...is the CLIFF(you can have lots of fun there if youre an advanced rider)

SP village is way better than BW....BW village is super ghetto.

Both hills have nice champagne powder...thats a tie

and after all that....i say keep driving and hit kickinghorse :)

cressydrift 10-02-2012 09:17 PM

None of the above.

Blackcomb/Whistler
Mt. Washington

Period.

Akinari 10-02-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakucaekz (Post 8045106)
You are there during Christmas too? Wtf, I've been going there with my family every Christmas break for the last 12 years lol, always been at the Cahilty Lodge lol.

There's always those Asian tours that go down there every Christmas :lawl: I never went with them but our family drove down and we'd stay at the Delta.

LuHua 10-03-2012 07:52 AM

I'm happy to go to either, they're both much better than the local slopes. If I had to choose though, Sun Peaks for their greens to black diamonds; that long green run is damn relaxing to blast down.

As for the drive up, make sure you have good snow tires with deep treads, or bring some tire chains with you. I've done it in a Civic, there's tons of AWDs on the road, the coach our club hires does 80-120 the whole way down. Just be careful, there's usually some cars in the ditch, including 4x4s.

kungpow 10-03-2012 08:42 PM

I'm thinking of going to Sun Peaks in the first or second week of December and I'm considering Big White for the year after.

Will the mountain be fully open and will the snow be good in December for Sun Peaks? I prefer December over Jan or Feb if the snow is good.
Posted via RS Mobile

saucywoman 10-03-2012 10:51 PM

They generally open nov 27 and even then it's not that exciting. I'd say wait til late jan early feb and go
Ill be going around Christmas time so that will be nice by then
Posted via RS Mobile