REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   Rattling caused by test pipes? Need help! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674680-rattling-caused-test-pipes-need-help.html)

Limitless 10-02-2012 09:30 PM

Rattling caused by test pipes? Need help!

I just got my Invidia test pipes installed the other day and it's been rattling like crazy during 1600rpm-1900rpm where it drones the most... I got it back up on the lift today at the shop it was originally installed at to take a look but it seemed like none of the piping was hitting anything. The rattling seemed to be coming out of the Y pipe of the catback? I have NO idea what is causing it, and it's driving me insane. It sounds like loud metal on metal rapid rattling. The test pipes are brand new.

I've been trying to look up the cause and from several different forums, some people say that it's because of the VQ engine... But I know a few people with the VQ37 that have test pipes but none of this stupid rattling. The shop said it was because these particular test pipes do have not have a support bracket so it can't be bolted onto the car, unlike the stock cats. The oem bracket was not reinstalled with these test pipes. I also looked at other brand test pipes and they do have the support bracket (T1R, Berk, etcetc..). Emailed the shop I got it from and he said that shouldn't be the problem though, and if it was I assume I would be able to find a lot more results when just searching "Invidia test pipe rattle", but not many pop up (none that actually have a definite answer).

I've also heard that test pipes with this particular catback (Invidia Gemini) cause the rattle, but that didn't really have any information to back it up other than the statement..

Another thing is that the guy in this video has the exact same set up and no rattle. Revving starts at ~1:10

Don't have a video of the rattle yet, but will take one soon. Can anyone help me out? :(

LookitsMarkA 10-02-2012 10:11 PM

happened to one of my cars. its not the same make or model but

you might want to re-check it since all of your stuff are brand new..

it was the wrong gaskets connected to both sides of the catalytic converter
was a $20 job for me.i hope itll be inexpensive for you

Limitless 10-02-2012 10:20 PM

It wasn't anything loose though, it was on a lift today and we were underneath it while it was being revved and nothing rattled except for what seems like inside the Y pipe of the catback :S Thank you though, I hope it'll be inexpensive for me too. Seems like my only option would be to switch either my catback or get HFC/resonated test pipes, all of which are fairly expensive :(

LookitsMarkA 10-02-2012 10:23 PM

yeah nothing were loose as well, not even the gaskets. but idk the mechanic said so, so i told him to fix it lol

fliptuner 10-03-2012 09:48 AM

any heat shields rattling against any of the piping?

hopalong 10-03-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limitless (Post 8045423)
It wasn't anything loose though, it was on a lift today and we were underneath it while it was being revved and nothing rattled except for what seems like inside the Y pipe of the catback :S Thank you though, I hope it'll be inexpensive for me too. Seems like my only option would be to switch either my catback or get HFC/resonated test pipes, all of which are fairly expensive :(

Did you have it on a 4 point hoist or an alignment hoist? If you had it up on a 4 point hoist then try putting on the alignment hoist. maybe the suspension has to be loaded to duplicate the rattling.

Limitless 10-03-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8045681)
any heat shields rattling against any of the piping?

Nope I don't think so, the heat shield seemed to have quite a bit of clearance from the pipes
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopalong (Post 8045978)
Did you have it on a 4 point hoist or an alignment hoist? If you had it up on a 4 point hoist then try putting on the alignment hoist. maybe the suspension has to be loaded to duplicate the rattling.

An alignment host, few shops I went to said they couldn't get it on the 4 point hoist because of the side splitter thing :/

Here's a shaky cell phone video I tried to take because my step dad borrowed my camera for his business trip
Notice that it only rattles during deceleration.. It's annoying in the video but it's MUCH worse when you're driving at city speeds and it happens to float at that rpm, which is just constant rattling... The rattling sounds noticeably louder in person than in the video

There was also a very very light tinny sound coming from my exhaust before I got the test pipes at around 2100rpm as well, which just recently started happening. It was so quiet though I kind of brushed it off, as you can barely hear it at all... So do you think something may be broken in the catback? :S When it was on the lift the sound seemed to be coming from here, right after the test pipes to the left of the picture
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...62007328_o.jpg

Tq 10-03-2012 09:57 PM

I think its normal, mines do the same maybe we can meet up and see if it is the same noise..

Qmx323 10-03-2012 10:22 PM

Maybe they left a washer or a nut in there LOL.

Limitless 10-03-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tq (Post 8046284)
I think its normal, mines do the same maybe we can meet up and see if it is the same noise..

Yeah I definitely want to meet up and check it out, would you be free to go to the small meet tomorrow night at the Timmies @ Market Crossing? Around 9pm ish :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmx323 (Post 8046310)
Maybe they left a washer or a nut in there LOL.

LOL, lets hope not

Tq 10-04-2012 07:39 PM

yeah i dont think i can make it

Limitless 10-06-2012 06:41 PM

Maybe some other time then. I pretty much got used to the rattle now so meh lol. It's louder when the exhaust is cold, noticeably quieter when the exhaust warms up..

Tq 10-06-2012 08:37 PM

yeah thats normal, loud when cold too...

wonton1017 10-06-2012 10:14 PM

Mine sounded similar when my exhaust tips were vibrating against my diffuser area, had to cut the diffuser.

Limitless 10-11-2012 08:37 PM

The catback was fine by itself, but this loud rattling came after the test pipes were installed with the same catback. The exhaust tips weren't moved at all :/ And they do have a decent amount of clearance from the diffuser area of the rear bumper

DiiCii 10-11-2012 08:47 PM

did the tech try checking with a stethoscope?

with the engine off, bang on the exhaust system from downpipe to exhaust tips and listen for any noise

Limitless 10-11-2012 09:08 PM

Nope, tech didn't seem like he really wanted to help me so it was pretty much just on a lift, revved a bit, then off the lift. That's a good idea though, maybe I can try that at home or at another shop that's more willing to help :) Thanks

320icar 02-17-2013 10:21 PM

Are you sure it's not the exhaust note reverberating and making the oh so we'll documented straight pipe rattle? My miata did the same thing when I had my test pipe on, until I swapped the cat back on and the noise totally went away
Posted via RS Mobile

Limitless 02-18-2013 02:44 AM

Turns out it was the design of the Y pipe from the catback I had :/ Same thing here, ended up swapping catbacks and the rattle went away.