REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   Weird Tire wear on Z370 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674690-weird-tire-wear-z370.html)

Mr.Ping 10-03-2012 07:37 AM

Weird Tire wear on Z370

I've got a 370z With little bit over 8000km...during my last service (I borrow friends hoist) I notice both of the rear tires are suffering from very uneven wear. The outside (facing away from car) part of tire are wear down to probably 30 -40% while the inner part still have 80%.

The vehicle has no camber mod..not lowered..

I called Nissan they don't seems to know why either.

Any idea ? I want to know before heading to Nissan and ask for a new set of rear tires...

hopalong 10-03-2012 07:42 AM

You need to chek your alignment. Take it to Nissan, I believe it's 1 year or 20000kms for alignment warranty. Not unless you curbed your wheels then warranty is voided.

Mr.Ping 10-22-2012 11:40 AM

no curb wheel....weird...Nissan is telling me every thing IS FINE !! that is just the way it is...which i think is full of BS

snails 10-22-2012 11:42 AM

did you get an alignment done? a lot guy could have hit a speed bump going fast, or parked into a curb, dealerships will always be quick to tell you everythings ok when it comes to free work you want

Sango 10-22-2012 10:38 PM

That sounds off. My guess it maybe could be the toe.

If the alignment is covered under the warranty bring it in to the dealership to have them look at it. There are chances are the dealership doesn't even have the right people who specialize in alignments as well (ie. the folks simply match up the green lights and call it good). There are few dealerships that do however.

I would probably advise you to bring it to alignment shop which specializes in suspension systems get them to align it and see what it comes up with.

How long did you have the vehicle for? Could be a possibility that the car was in alignment the factory and got out of alignment somewhere along the line during the transport of the vehicle (ie. cargo was banged, while the car was being securely held down). If that is the case, the geometry could also be thrown off along with the alignment.

dcE30 10-22-2012 10:58 PM

If the wear patterns are feathered it's most likely toe.

If you don't, do you notice positive camber?

Smallermouse 11-29-2012 12:11 AM

Just checked my 370Z. Everything looks fine to me. No uneven wear. I'm almost 4000km on mine. Are you corning hard all the time?

geeknerd 12-02-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallermouse (Post 8093726)
Just checked my 370Z. Everything looks fine to me. No uneven wear. I'm almost 4000km on mine. Are you corning hard all the time?

jpark 12-04-2012 12:37 AM

tire pressure?

grey ghost 12-04-2012 06:52 PM

Any news on this? Sounds like the tires are pretty badly worn for only 8000 km of driving. If not an alignment problem, maybe it's a tire defect? As others have mentioned, I'd take it to a suspension and alignment shop and have them give you a second opinion on the alignment.

Another thing I might check out is if there are any kind of spring isolators installed on the rear coil springs? I'm not sure what your car's suspension looks like in the rear, but there's a chance that when the car was new, and before the PDI was performed, there were isolators (pieces of dense foam) on the coil springs for transportation. Believe it or not, I worked on a car today that had over 130,000 km on it, and it had the isolators still on the rear springs! That would cause the ride height to be higher than normal, and theoretically cause a positive camber situation which would wear the outer edge of your tires more than the inner (kind of the opposite of when you slam your car and get major negative camber).

JDMTrueLove 12-05-2012 07:16 AM

You need an allignment, or to stop driving the thing like a racecar.

One or the other, should be nothing major at all.

sflores2565 03-26-2013 10:40 AM

Re: Tire Wear

Sounds like toe is off, get an alignment done!!! ASAP!!