REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Has anyone been to the Dark Table before? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674714-has-anyone-been-dark-table-before.html)

TheKingdom2000 10-03-2012 07:16 PM

Has anyone been to the Dark Table before?

http://www.darktable.ca/reserve.html

I was thinking of going here with the crew, but just wanted some feedback from people who have gone here before.

What was your experience like, would you come back again, and any tips you might have would be great.

It's a little pricey at $39 for their three course meal. Entree's don't look too exciting, but I guess you're paying for the experience.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks.

Quote:

Menu

STARTER
(Surprise of the day)

ENTREES

- BEEF TENDERLOIN WITH OUR PEPPERCORN SAUCE,POTATOES AND VEGETABLES

- GOAT CHEESE AND DATES STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST WITH ORANGE GASTRIQUE,
ROASTED POTATOES AND VEGETABLES

- FRESH RAVIOLI WITH JALAPENO ROSEMARY CREAM SAUCE

- PEPPERED GARLIC PRAWNS WITH CITRUS RISOTTO, SEASONAL VEGETABLES

- VEAL SCHNITZEL (VIENNESE STYLE), POTATOES AND SEASONAL VEGETABLES

- SURPRISE DISH

DESSERTS
(Surprise of the day)

- 3 CHOICES (STARTER,MAIN ,DESSERT) 39$
- 2 CHOICES (STARTER AND MAIN OR MAIN AND DESSERT ) 33$

Obsideon 10-14-2012 12:02 AM

I might give this a go in the near future! $39 for 3-course meal (hoping it's good) isn't too bad nowadays, even Dine-Out Vancouver is in that price range now.

dlo 10-14-2012 12:42 AM

Always wanted to try something like this, thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 10-14-2012 08:18 AM

Very cool.

Quote:

Already a hit in major cities like London, Paris, New York, L.A. and Montreal, blind dining is finally coming to Vancouver, offering a unique opportunity to experience dining in a whole new way—in the dark. An evening at Dark table will take you on a culinary journey through uncharted territory, where the familiar—food, drink and friends—becomes a wonder to be explored and
discovered, as if for the first time.

Without the sense of sight, the senses of touch, taste, hearing and smell are intensified, allowing a new perception of reality. Dark Table will open in Kitsilano, at 2611 W4th, in September of this year, offering Vancouver exceptional cuisine, superb service and a voyage to the unknown.

How it works ?

Upon arrival in the lighted lounge, take your time and choose from a first-class menu rivaling some of Vancouver’s best restaurants.

When you’re ready, you’ll be led to your table in the dark dining room by a blind, or visually impaired server who has been trained to ensure your comfort at all times.

Once seated, you’ll have the opportunity to adjust to the darkness and truly give yourself to this extraordinary experience.

No light producing technologies are allowed in the dining room, including flashlights, cellphones, or luminous watches.

shawnly1000 10-14-2012 11:16 AM

Wonder how the local food bloggers be able to make reviews/blogs LOL

dlo 10-14-2012 12:11 PM

probably the worse plating ever and no one would notice :lol

Cassijon 10-15-2012 08:26 AM

i got the prestige edition of COD MW2 and it came with night vision goggles. would i be allowed to wear em to eat at this place? lol

noTirl 10-15-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 8054524)
Wonder how the local food bloggers be able to make reviews/blogs LOL

Hungry Vegetarian: Dark Table :lawl:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oJkKZLF--U...600/1black.png

Wormiez 10-17-2012 02:59 PM

Been to the one in Paris, France. Fun experience!

Don't expect great or even exceptional food. Its more of an adventure/experience then a culinary work of art.. The meals served are simple and are created to enlighten your taste buds.

When they mean dark its pitch black, you can't see nothing. Hey you can even cup a boob and no one will know who did it!

RS_Pat 10-18-2012 12:31 PM

Can't I just do this anywhere and close my eyes? :suspicious:

124Y 11-10-2012 12:08 AM

Just got back from this place tonight. It was a fun experience going with my gf and a few friends! Inside was literally pitch dark; you can't see a single thing! The food was alright, but most of the time, we were figuring out what is in our dishes, where our utensils are, and whether or not we managed to fork up food onto our forks or not. We ended up derping around in the dark by shifting each other's plates while eating, taking away each other's drinks, and singing out stupid songs loudly in the dark. :lol

shenmecar 11-18-2012 11:10 PM

I went to this restaurant yesterday, it was quite a unique experience eating in pitch black. The servers are super friendly. Food was pretty good, I ordered the beef with peppercorn sauce and my gf ordered the prawns. My beef came sliced up already, which makes sense because I wouldnt have been able to cut it in the dark. It was a little heavy on the flavouring though. My gf's prawns had the shells removed also. We spent a lot of time just feeling our table and finding out where everything is.

I would go back again, and probably recommend my friends to give it a try.

icu222much 11-19-2012 07:04 PM

Went there last month. Food wasn't very good as it tasted more like high quality cafeteria food. I'm sure the chef did the best they could considering they cannot use any sauce or anything that will be difficult to eat with just your hands. The experience was top notch though. So much fun to eat in the dark while trying to figure out what you are trying to eat with your friends. Ironically, my favourite part of the night was going to the washroom. Our server led a group of us in a train line-up. It was an interesting feeling walking through the restaurant.

I definitely would go back again with another group of friends.

Obsideon 12-12-2012 12:34 PM

I went yesterday.
The "lighted lounge" is actually just outside the restaurant by the sidewalk, so you will be standing and ordering in the cold.
Hostess was friendly to fill me in on what to do as I told her it was my first time.

Here's a TIP: They don't have a liquor license yet so for a limited time, you can bring your own bottle of wine with NO corkage fee! I found this out when I noticed they had no liquor on the menu, so I told her I'd be right back, drove down to the closest liquor store (2 blocks west on the corner of MacDonald and 4th) and picked myself up a bottle of nice red. It's not a government liquor store though so the prices are slightly higher than normal. Not sure how long this offer will last!

Got back to the restaurant, the hostess introduced us to our blind server. His name is Lazar (he mentions this to you like 5x because since it's pitch black in there you MUST call his name to get service) He instructs you to place your hand on the shoulder of the friend in front of you then leads you to your table.
Service was "average" at best but still very impressive considering that it's literally SUPER dark in there. He forgot that I brought a wine with me and asked me if I needed anything to drink (although I handed him the bottle) so I didn't get my glass until after my appetizer was almost finished. I asked for a water that never came as well but it's ok, it felt like he was really busy. I think there was only 2 waiters in the restaurant at the time and it sounded like the restaurant was full-house or close to it. I have no clue how big the restaurant is or how many people it seats as I couldn't see shit lol ...

Spent a lot of time trying to figure out where my utensils were just to realize I didn't have a fork lol ... also the side plate I had felt ... dirty, like there was dried crusties on the edge and felt like there were some small bread crumbs on it? :heckno: ... kind of got me nervous as to how clean this place is since it's pitch black they could do whatever the hell they wanted and we wouldn't know ... anyways ... moving on.
I won't ruin what the "Surprise Starter" is so I'll just comment that it was really interesting trying to eat ... half the time I thought I jabbed something only to put a fork-full of nothingness into my mouth haha ... in the end I pretty much gave up and had to use my fingers to feel around the plate to see if I had any food left on it ...

The entrees were just so-so, my gf got the tenderloin steak which was over seasoned but the meat quality was decent. As mentioned above it was pre-cut which was a good idea. I got the "Surprise" entree, it felt like a Pork Chop but when I started chewing it was much softer ... almost like a Hamburger patty?... it was smothered in sauce so I couldn't really tell what kind of meat it was... there was also a pretty generous side of roasted potatoes.

I still have no idea what the hell I ate lol ... good times!

Would I come back?... hmm... probably not, unless somebody else invited me. The food was not good enough to warrant a $40 meal but for the experience I recommend giving it a try!

shawnly1000 12-12-2012 12:49 PM

Don't think this concept is sustainable for that long, it doesn't seem like a restaurant people would go to more than once for the novelty/hype appeal.

shenmecar 05-21-2013 06:54 PM

For those who have been considering this place, or those who just been reconsidering on going back but can't justify $100+ for two people (like me), livingsocial.com has a promo, its $54 for a 3 course meal for two people.

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/...m_source=blast

yousername 05-21-2013 08:17 PM

As others have stated, it is only good for the experience. Food was definitley not worth $100 for my gf and I. Lazar was my waiter too!
Posted via RS Mobile