REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #301
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Winter tires aren't an extra cost, per se. The net tire wear is roughly unchanged whether one uses winters/summers or all-seasons, so why not use the best performing arrangement?
Because the net loss of time wasted is not worth the effort, when the chances of the external weather temp is probably not going to dip much below -3, and thats at night, in Jan/Feb. Gonna be a mild winter folks.
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #302
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Iceman you made a stupid comment, don't come back and try to defend it.

Winter tires exist for a reason, your make or model of car has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you need them or not. People say stupid things like I have AWD or 4x4 so I can go anywhere even without winter tires. These people should be banned from driving. Your tires are the only thing that connect you to the ground in your car. They are the single most important safety device on any car. Having AWD or 4x4 only helps you get going, eventually you are going to need to stop, and since all cars have 4 wheel braking, this is where good tires come into play. To allow you to transfer that braking power into actual stopping power.

From October 1 to April 30 in the province of BC, your car can (and will) be deemed un-roadworthy if you do not have winter tires. This means your insurance company can place you at fault for any accidents you are involved in.

Your winter driving prowess is not going to do shit for you when the guy with studded winter tires in front of you slams on his brakes to avoid "all the idiots" who are piling up in front of him. Instead you will go barreling into him and join "the lousy drivers" on the side of the road.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Because the net loss of time wasted is not worth the effort, when the chances of the external weather temp is probably not going to dip much below -3, and thats at night, in Jan/Feb. Gonna be a mild winter folks.
Sorry so now you are a meteorologist to?

This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #304
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Iceman you made a stupid comment, don't come back and try to defend it.

Winter tires exist for a reason, your make or model of car has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you need them or not. People say stupid things like I have AWD or 4x4 so I can go anywhere even without winter tires. These people should be banned from driving. Your tires are the only thing that connect you to the ground in your car. They are the single most important safety device on any car. Having AWD or 4x4 only helps you get going, eventually you are going to need to stop, and since all cars have 4 wheel braking, this is where good tires come into play. To allow you to transfer that braking power into actual stopping power.

From October 1 to April 30 in the province of BC, your car can (and will) be deemed un-roadworthy if you do not have winter tires. This means your insurance company can place you at fault for any accidents you are involved in.

Your winter driving prowess is not going to do shit for you when the guy with studded winter tires in front of you slams on his brakes to avoid "all the idiots" who are piling up in front of him. Instead you will go barreling into him and join "the lousy drivers" on the side of the road.
I sense some serious jimmy rustling.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #305
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Sorry so now you are a meteorologist to?
Im on the internet, I know things.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #306
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Iceman, Mud tires suck in literally every single weather condition except... well... Mud. (and yes, mud tires do function relatively well when you are trying to churn through 5+ feet of snow, but we simply don't get that in BC unless you go snow wheeling... Kind of a moot point). Your truck already doesn't stop very well in the dry, with mud tires + snow? I sure hope i'm not in front of you if i need to do a panic stop, cause you're coming right through my back window. Sure with 4x4 you'll be able to get going, but that means 100% nothing in winter driving. Stopping and steering are the only things that matter. If you can't do that, get the fuck off the road.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #307
Banned By Establishment

Jimmies. Much Rustling.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #308
Banned By Establishment

Ill bet anyone $100 that I will drive all winter, and no get into or cause a single accident.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #309

Quote:
Jimmies. Much Rustling.
Were doing you a favour, but you are to stupid to see it. I honestly hope when you crash this winter you don't take someone innocent out with you.

EDIT:

Quote:
Ill bet anyone $100 that I will drive all winter, and no get into or cause a single accident.
I hope you don't crash either, as I wouldnt wish that on anyone. BUT if you you, I really hope someone else doesnt get caught in your stupid decision...

Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #310

Quote:
I'm not taking you up on that, as that would imply i WANT you to get into an accident to win said $100...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #311

Quote:
Jimmies. Much Rustling.
If you were the only driver on the road, i couldn't care less what tires you run, the only person you could hurt is you. When we bring other people into it, it just becomes a bit dumb...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #312
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Were doing you a favour, but you are to stupid to see it. I honestly hope when you crash this winter you don't take someone innocent out with you.

EDIT:

I hope you don't crash either, as I wouldnt wish that on anyone. BUT if you you, I really hope someone else doesnt get caught in your stupid decision...
What favor, pray tell, was that? Telling me things that I have known for 15 years of driving?
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #313
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,620 Times in 4,351 Posts
C'mon guys. We all know that Iceman-19 is a proud supporter of green initiatives and takes Translink while shopping for fresh organic produce all while proudly rocking his lensless frames. He can't drive any better than the Asian moms in Richmond on No. 3 Road during rush hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #314
Banned By Establishment

Heres a thought for you amazing drivers. Have you ever thought that people that with winter tires, might develop the same habits of the average money with an AWD SUV in the winter, feeling invincible, and there fore, thinking they can drive just as fast as usual, causing crashes? Drivers cause crashes, not the tires.

Here's a special secret I will let you in on, something I have learned. When conditions worsen, you can and should slow down and drive within your abilities.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #315
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdukes View Post
C'mon guys. We all know that Iceman-19 is a proud supporter of green initiatives and takes Translink while shopping for fresh organic produce all while proudly rocking his lensless frames. He can't drive any better than the Asian moms in Richmond on No. 3 Road during rush hour.
Sadly I am apparently out of thanks. I owe you one.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #316

Quote:
What favor, pray tell, was that? Telling me things that I have known for 15 years of driving?
So you admit to knowing that winter tires are the appropriate choice for driving, yet you are too arrogant in your driving skill to be bothered to change out your tires?

Cause apparently thats all it is, it's not a cost issue, as MB made clear. It's simply the fact that you are too lazy to swap out your wheels...

EDIT: Jesus bud we are not talking about driving speeds here, obviously we all know just because I have winter tires on my AWD SUV doesn't mean I should go 150 in 6 inches of snow...There is obviously no getting through to you so I will give up here.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #317
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,620 Times in 4,351 Posts
Quote:
Sadly I am apparently out of thanks. I owe you one.
See, guys? He's harmless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #318
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,587 Times in 4,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
dammit, it takes me more than 16 minutes to get my car ramped on on 2x10's i cut up so that i can get the car high enough to barely get the jack under it
On one of my cars, I'm lucky enough to have a jacking point under the rad support and a rear tow hook. I just drive up on blocks to get the jack under the front and the rear is high enough that I don't need blocks.

On the other cars, there's no place to jack the front and the crossmember, under the engine is too far in for the jack to reach (lowered or not). In that case, I'll just drive up on a 1' long 2x4 and jack the whole side up from the reinforced pinch weld on the rocker (ebrake and wheel chocked on the other side). Less than ideal, sure but you can always chuck a stand under the control arm brace while you swap the tires.

Quote:
Heres a thought for you amazing drivers. Have you ever thought that people that with winter tires, might develop the same habits of the average money with an AWD SUV in the winter, feeling invincible, and there fore, thinking they can drive just as fast as usual, causing crashes? Drivers cause crashes, not the tires.

Here's a special secret I will let you in on, something I have learned. When conditions worsen, you can and should slow down and drive within your abilities.
First thing I do when the road conditions go to shit, is find an empty road/parking lot and do a few sharp turns at speed and slam on my brakes a few times. Nothing like knowing how your car's going to react, beforehand.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #319
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
So you admit to knowing that winter tires are the appropriate choice for driving, yet you are too arrogant in your driving skill to be bothered to change out your tires?

Cause apparently thats all it is, it's not a cost issue, as MB made clear. It's simply the fact that you are too lazy to swap out your wheels...

EDIT: Jesus bud we are not talking about driving speeds here, obviously we all know just because I have winter tires on my AWD SUV doesn't mean I should go 150 in 6 inches of snow...There is obviously no getting through to you so I will give up here.

I have owned a half bald set of winter tires on a Toyota Cressida I had one winter when I lived in the Okanagan. I threw them on because I had them. Other then that, I have never owned a set of winter tires. Suck it Trebek.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #320
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdukes View Post
See, guys? He's harmless.
Some might say I am harmful.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #321

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
... Saturday ...

METRO VANCOUVER - Whether you love the first snowfall of the season or dread its arrival, you’ll probably want to get out the woolly hats and gloves.

Environment Canada forecasters are predicting snow and freezing temperatures are on the way for Metro Vancouver.

The federal weather agency says the region can expect snow flurries on Saturday, and again on Tuesday, with temperatures dipping down to minus 2 C early next week.

Doug Lundquist, a meteorologist with Environment Canada, said a cold front is moving in, but the snow likely won’t stick in the city on Saturday.

“This is not a crippling snow event for Metro Vancouver,” he said. “But we may see some snow stick on the ground at higher elevations.”

There’s still time to enjoy the sunshine and mild temperatures though. Forecasters say today will be sunny with highs of 12 degrees C, and tomorrow is expected to be a mix of sun and cloud with highs of 10 degrees C.

Lundquist said despite the winter forecast, November has been unseasonably warm. He said Tuesday’s highs of 14.6 degrees C broke the record set in 1953.

ticrawford@vancouversun.com

Last edited by Acura604; 11-13-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #322
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Where's a cheap place to have snow tires installed in Surrey?
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #323
Banned By Establishment

Might have snow stick to the ground, at higher elevations. In other words, it won't snow.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #324

It never does...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #325
Banned By Establishment

That would mean fun for all.