REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Recommendations for brand new clutch (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674847-recommendations-brand-new-clutch.html)

hirevtuner 10-06-2012 11:35 PM

Recommendations for brand new clutch

recently feel my clutch is getting harder to shift and stalling at times
ride is 2003 Lexus IS300 @ 154K
any brands anyone can recommend?

don't need a performance one as it is just regular city/highway driving

see.lai 10-06-2012 11:40 PM

I'm not sure if they have the same one but, for my Acura RSX, I replaced it with exedy, an oem replacement apparently. I have no troubles with it. I don't know if they have it for your is300 though.

GL

Bender Unit 10-06-2012 11:41 PM

Yes.
exedy oem replacement

asr 10-06-2012 11:46 PM

ACT HD if your car is slightly modded. or Exedy Oem clutch kit. Make sure your flywheel machine or changed at the same time because you don't want to do an extra job to change your flywheel later on.

jtrinh 10-07-2012 12:02 AM

Stick with OEM if you don't need a performance one.. I've heard good about ACT but you don't need heavy duty and it'll be more expensive.

Any photos of your is300? :D

firebird79_00 10-07-2012 07:53 AM

Yup OEM all the way

hirevtuner 10-07-2012 01:06 PM

thanks guys, yeah i'm gonna consider getting Exedy OEM one, i'll have to get my mechanic to check the condition of the flywheel if needs replacing or not

narfy 10-07-2012 04:54 PM

contrary to popular belief, the OE clutch in the IS300 is NOT an exedy or daiken... it's made by LUK...

the factory flywheel in the IS300 is a dual mass damped flywheel, which makes it terribly difficult to resurface and cannot be done by conventional means of mounting the flywheel on a flywheel table and cutting it... it has to be done on a lathe... and if it's not perfectly square when it's mounted on the lathe, it'll forever chatter...

my suggestion, if you want a decent clutch, minimal down time, and decent performance, is getting the ACT TS5-HDSS clutch kit, and a fidanza 130301 flywheel... this combination will help increase throttle response, clutch grabbing power, and general driving pleasure...

the only draw-back is that your idle may not be as smooth as with the factory flywheel...

ps... factory flywheel weighs 32lbs and is by far the one one thing i hated most about the IS300... i love the car with the exception of the flywheel...

UFO 10-08-2012 01:06 PM

Could be a problem with clutch master/slave cylinder as well. Worth diagnosing further IMO.

!SG 10-08-2012 02:46 PM

exedy stage 1, a bit more grip, but i personally like a little stiffer pressure plate.

or act hd street. just as good.

its about preference. i find oem a tad soft.