REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Lowest possible fine for disobeying stop sign? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675794-lowest-possible-fine-disobeying-stop-sign.html)

heero78 10-27-2012 04:21 AM

Lowest possible fine for disobeying stop sign?

Hi guys
I just got a ticket for disobeying a stop sign recently.
I am planning to dispute it. However, I will plead guilty in court and ask for a cheaper fine. (I admit that I did not come to a complete stop. However, I pretty much slowed down to 5km/hr.....zzzzz)

Anyway, I am just wondering is it even possible for the court to lower the disobey stop sign violation's fine? Right now, the fine is 167 dollars.
I know they can do that for a speeding ticket, but I am not too sure about stop sign violation.

thanks in advance

inv4zn 10-27-2012 10:47 AM

Christ the people these days.

Do you not have any immediate plans to emigrate?

snails 10-27-2012 11:02 AM

its not called a "rolling stop sign" ...

why would you dispute it? :failed:

bloodline129 10-27-2012 11:09 AM

lowest possible is for you to pay it within 30 days.... or get ready to be raped by the judge for wasting his time

AW607 10-27-2012 11:42 AM

:seriously:
If you know you're wrong, don't wait to dispute it, just pay the ticket within a month and you get an instant reduction. That way you pay less and nobody wastes their time
Posted via RS Mobile

F30 10-27-2012 12:19 PM

This reminds me of an old joke:
Quote:

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Sheriffs Deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the Deputy because he is sure that he has a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the deputies expense.

Deputy says, "License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What for?"

Deputy says, "You didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign"

Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming."

Deputy says, "You still didn't come to a complete stop. License and registration, please."

Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"

Deputy says, "The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that's the law. License and registration, please!"

Lawyer says, "If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket, if not you let me go and no ticket."

Deputy says, "Exit your vehicle, sir."

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the ever-loving snot out of the lawyer and says "Do you want me to stop or just slow down?"

winson604 10-27-2012 03:14 PM

I hate how I can't fail

jackal 10-30-2012 08:48 PM

although i understand that a stop sign is a stop sign and that means full stop, i do feel that there should be SOME common sense. i have a 3 way intersection right by my house where you have a pedestrian crosswalk at one corner. as you approach the the intersection you have completely clear vision a good 300+ feet in both the other directions including the sidewalks so not seeing a pedestrian or an oncoming car is next to impossible unless your just not paying attention. a while back i got a ticket for rolling this intersection by an undercover f150 parked like 200 feet up the street and there was absolutely no one else around. in cases like mine there should be some common sense on the cops part... either way the cop gave me a fail to obey sign which was no points and iirc just over $100. so maybe that was the leeway but still i felt ripped off.

freakshow 10-31-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 8069052)
although i understand that a stop sign is a stop sign and that means full stop, i do feel that there should be SOME common sense. i have a 3 way intersection right by my house where you have a pedestrian crosswalk at one corner. as you approach the the intersection you have completely clear vision a good 300+ feet in both the other directions including the sidewalks so not seeing a pedestrian or an oncoming car is next to impossible unless your just not paying attention. a while back i got a ticket for rolling this intersection by an undercover f150 parked like 200 feet up the street and there was absolutely no one else around. in cases like mine there should be some common sense on the cops part... either way the cop gave me a fail to obey sign which was no points and iirc just over $100. so maybe that was the leeway but still i felt ripped off.

Unfortunately, they can't write the 'common sense' that you speak of into the law. You can get a ticket for going 51kmph. Does it happen often? no. can it happen and still be perfectly legal? yes.
So although you (or the OP) 'feel' ripped off, your best bet is to suck it up and pay the early payment amount.

Also, disobeying a stop sign carries 3 points.
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...enceswithfines

jackal 11-01-2012 08:08 AM

in my case i didn't get disobeying a stop sign. i got failed to obey sign. not 3 points (although not in that list) but i asked to confirm the lack of point when i paid the ticket.

jlenko 11-02-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 8069052)
although i understand that a stop sign is a stop sign and that means full stop, i do feel that there should be SOME common sense.

EGAD! You think there should be common sense? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!

Stop = cessation of movement.
Slow = roll through slowly.

If you can't figure that out... get off the roads.

*6o4* 11-05-2012 10:02 PM

lowest fine in court is 10 dollars my friend did that and he got a way with it