REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Recommend body shop in Burnaby + Accident advise please (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675960-recommend-body-shop-burnaby-accident-advise-please.html)

Matlock 10-31-2012 02:57 PM

Recommend body shop in Burnaby + Accident advise please

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Revscene! I need your help + advice as I got into an accident this morning.

First of all, could you please recommend a body shop to repair my 2010 Suzuki SX4 in Burnaby?

Now, I'll get into detail of what happened and maybe you could give me any additional advice as this is my very first accident ever. This morning at 5:45 AM I was driving south on Gilmore St and came to a complete stop at the 4 way stop intersection at Dawson St. No other cars were present at the intersection.

I proceed to drive and as I exit the intersection, my right side passenger door gets rammed by a Silver Saab. He was going east down Douglas St. We pull over and exchange information. No one was injured. The driver said he would pay for my damages.

I drove to my foreman's house, dropped off my car and carpooled to work.

At the jobsite, I phoned ICBC and made my claim as soon as I got there in the early morning and the ICBC lady said that I could be at fault since there were no witnesses and I was on the left side! This has gotten me really worried. Anyways, I reported my right front passenger door being dented.

After work I noticed the rocker panel was bent and there were some scratches all over my rear right passenger door. I drive home and add the damage to my claim at 3:30 PM. Apparently ICBC said that the driver that hit me did not phone in to make a claim as of yet.

I'm worried that I could get screwed depending on what this driver says.

Any help + advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Matlock 11-01-2012 07:23 PM

Also, is it better to goto the claim center or goto an "express repair shop"?

When I first phoned in they wanted me to wait until Nov 19 to go to the claim center.

When I phoned in the second time to add damage to my claim she changed it so that I could go to a "express repair shop" (body shop) at any time.

I just got a voice mail from an icbc guy asking if I still wanted to go to the claim center on Nov 19

Truenosan 11-01-2012 08:18 PM

Going to an ICBC Express shop would save you a trip of running around. You can just call a shop of your choice, and set up a time. Then you can just drop off your car, and they will take care of the rest.

HondaGuy 11-01-2012 10:56 PM

Call up AK Autoworks in Burnaby on Dawson St 604.688.6378.
They are icbc express shop, do great work and lifetime warranty.
Ask for Khang, he's the Manager. Very knowledgable and friendly, he will take care of his customers. The guys working in the back are good experienced techs... Known them for years and their workmanship.
Always bought my car in and all my clients...Tell them Derek says hi lol...

Call up claim centre and tell them the situation and want to go AK, they will know right away you want to go to an express shop. Then get your claim number, call up AK and book a time to head down and the rest will be taken care of. They can fit you in at their earliest time/date instead of waiting that long, nov.16.
Once Khang finishes taking photos and offer estimates, he will send info to icbc... Faster than you waiting to see icbc yourself.

Good luck bud.
Posted via RS Mobile

Traum 11-01-2012 11:01 PM

Can't say enough good things about Century Collision in Burnaby. Did more than a few top notch collision repair jobs for me.

Spartacus 11-02-2012 12:19 AM

I'm sort of in the same situation as OP. except mine was a hit and run. Does khang offer a courtesy car, while my car gets repaired?? Thank!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaGuy (Post 8071045)
Call up AK Autoworks in Burnaby on Dawson St 604.688.6378.
They are icbc express shop, do great work and lifetime warranty.
Ask for Khang, he's the Manager. Very knowledgable and friendly, he will take care of his customers. The guys working in the back are good experienced techs... Known them for years and their workmanship.
Always bought my car in and all my clients...Tell them Derek says hi lol...

Call up claim centre and tell them the situation and want to go AK, they will know right away you want to go to an express shop. Then get your claim number, call up AK and book a time to head down and the rest will be taken care of. They can fit you in at their earliest time/date instead of waiting that long, nov.16.
Once Khang finishes taking photos and offer estimates, he will send info to icbc... Faster than you waiting to see icbc yourself.

Good luck bud.
Posted via RS Mobile

cho 11-02-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8071051)
Can't say enough good things about Century Collision in Burnaby. Did more than a few top notch collision repair jobs for me.

+1 for century, fixed up my rear bumper and some door dings while they were at it, had a ford focus as a courtesy car, not bad at all

HondaGuy 11-02-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonlightmaskman (Post 8071123)
I'm sort of in the same situation as OP. except mine was a hit and run. Does khang offer a courtesy car, while my car gets repaired?? Thank!

Yes. They do offer courtesy cars, just let him know ahead and they will arrange one when you drop off yours.
I experienced a hit and run on one of my cars and they took my appt immediately.

Good luck bud
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 11-02-2012 02:05 PM

Damn :( I wish I could of gotten responses earlier as I already brought it to Craftsman on 1st ave to get it checked out. Thanks though

Question:

I still haven't heard from the guy who hit me yet. Now, he said he would pay for it. But, he could easily change his mind. As ICBC informed me that at a 4 way stop, being the driver on the left, without witnesses I would be at fault.

I am going to call him soon, but I'm just curious as which way would be the best to go about it? Last time I checked on Wednesday afternoon with ICBC, he did not make a claim. (9 hours after the accident)

Do I ask him to make a claim and get him to pay ICBC so that they can waive my collision deductible? The driver was a older Asian man if stereotyping does anything. He seemed like an OK guy.

All I want to do is make it so I'm not at fault.

Completely unrelated, but he lives in the far east side of burnaby while I live on the west side of burnaby. WTF was an old Asian man doing driving around my area at quarter to 6 in the morning?? Mistress???

Matlock 11-03-2012 02:06 PM

So the driver who hit me called me today and wants me to get an estimate from Richmond Auto Body of North Van. I can't find any reviews or anything on this place. Does anyone know anything about this place??

He says he's going to pay, but we'll see. Fuuuu I want to get this over and done with.

bcrdukes 11-03-2012 05:52 PM

^
No. Don't trust the guy. Let ICBC handle it. If he wants to pay for the damages, he will have to tell ICBC and legally, he needs to report the accident to ICBC. If he doesn't, you've done your part. ICBC will get in touch with him and he will have "x" amount of days to reply. If you've reported the accident to ICBC, ICBC will protect you and take care of you. You don't worry too much about it at this point.

Let your adjuster know what the guy's intentions are and let them deal with it. If you and the guy don't tell ICBC and just settle privately, you could be royally screwed over. ICBC will not protect you in this situation.

Be patient, young Padawan.

Truenosan 11-03-2012 09:41 PM

Don't waste your time going to a shop of his choice for an estimate. We have insurance for a reason, let them deal with the headaches.

Get your vehicle fixed at a shop of your choice, and worst case, if the liability has not been resolved at the time your car is completed, you would have to pay the deductible first, however, that can be reimbursed if you are found to be not at fault.

HondaGuy 11-03-2012 11:25 PM

Yep, what they said ^^.

Better to let ICBC deal with the other driver and let them sort out if his responsibility to pay otherwise going to his preferred shop could mean they cheap out / cut corners in some way so that he doesnt have to pay much.
Or you could ask a few shops for estimate then settle reasonable amount, but I'd say just stick with icbc.

good luck bud!

Matlock 11-04-2012 12:44 AM

Ok, I'm going to call up ICBC and try to sort things out. My only issue is whether or not he would claim responsibility for the collision with ICBC, since I have no witnesses :( I'll be really happy If I can get that resolved.

I've heard more good things about AK from my friend. I think I'm going to cancel with Craftsman Collision (the staff there were super nice though) and make an appointment with AK.

Thanks so much everyone. Especially bcrdukes and Truenosan, you have just helped me decided on what I'm going to do.
I'll update this thread if any more issues pop up.

Matlock 11-04-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

We're pleased to let you know that ICBC is now able to waive your deductible.
This means we can repair your vehicle based on the approved repair sheet
which may include depreciation on parts subject to wear and tear.
Yes!! Thanks again everyone, this week has been stressful. I phoned up ICBC right away after reading this email and the adjuster said that the other driver was found responsible and I was also the first to report the claim. Awesome.

Revscene is so helpful for these types of things.

Now, all I have to do on Monday is cancel with the nice people at Craftsman and phone up AK Autoworks :D

bcrdukes 11-04-2012 01:26 PM

Wow, that was fast! :)

Truenosan 11-04-2012 03:01 PM

Glad I could help. Everything should be smooth sailing from this point on. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any more questions.

racerman88 11-12-2012 11:16 AM

When I lived inBurnaby, I took my car to Victor at Starlite auto body. Tell hi. Geoff with the mustang sent you if you go. Might help a little.

jjson 11-12-2012 11:41 AM

AK's good. I can +1 for them. Took my car in when someone tried to break into it. They were fast with the repairs (2-3 business days). Also gave me a 2011 Mazda 3 as a loaner car :)