REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Kamloops man says devil made him kill his father, pleads not guilty of murder (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676333-kamloops-man-says-devil-made-him-kill-his-father-pleads-not-guilty-murder.html)

Recon604 11-07-2012 09:42 PM

Kamloops man says devil made him kill his father, pleads not guilty of murder

Quote:

KAMLOOPS, B.C. — A psychiatrist has taken the stand during a Kamloops, B.C., murder trial, testifying that the accused once said he was ordered by the devil to murder his own father.

Joshua Isaac Steel has pleaded not guilty to killing his father Phil in September 2011, and prosecution and defence lawyers agree he isn't responsible for the death because of a mental disorder.

The courtroom, packed with family members, has now heard from psychiatrist Dr. Sam Iskander who detailed Steel's history of psychotic tendencies leading up to the bludgeoning death of his father.

The court heard Steel was in and out of hospital in February 2011, and in the days preceding the death had become unresponsive.

Iskander says Steel told him that on the day of the killing, he was ordered by the devil to murder his own father.

Iskander says Steel is now on medication for schizophrenia and depression and no longer displays symptoms of psychosis
:fulloffuck:

Stiig 11-07-2012 09:52 PM

westopher 11-07-2012 09:59 PM

You can take solace in the fact that he will likely be in various psychiatric hospitals for an undetermined amount of time (perhaps much longer than his jail sentence would have been) and these can be just as bad as our prisons. I had a classmate who around 22 began to have serious schizophrenic episodes. He murdered a random person in a parking lot a few years after we all lost touch with him. Another schizophrenic classmate jumped from her 9th story window attempting suicide and survived. She now can not walk, move her arms properly, and has various other issues. They were both normal people when on their meds. Its not some made up issue, its really fucked man, and us as "sane" people with no real knowledge of the disease will never understand.

StylinRed 11-07-2012 10:52 PM

^^^ agreed i have a close friend who's schizo it didn't manifest until he became a meth user (just after high school) and he would call me and say god is speaking to him and telling him that we were destined to be the chosen ones to rule the world etc etc etc would have been hilarious if it wasn't so sad; as long as he was on his meds he'd be perfectly fine... but he doesn't always want to stay on his meds

such a shame he had his commercial pilots license taken away because of it too and he had to find a totally different career path

Recon604 11-07-2012 11:05 PM

holy shit tats fkced up. I never did think it could be true but now I guess it could happen because your brain changes the way it thinks and you wont know what is "real" or "sane".

pretty scary stuff...

westopher 11-07-2012 11:08 PM

Yeah the guy who murdered the random person, about a week before kept calling my good friend and talking about "his knife" and all of his dreams of "his knife" as if it was an extension of himself. He actually threatened my close friend, who was sort of his confidant, and said he was going to kill him, as he was trying to actually help him at the time. He called the cops, cops didn't do anything about the threats uttered, as they said they couldn't really do anything. A week later a man was murdered. Even with cries of help, he wasn't saved. Even as though people tried to do something, those that could actually enforce something brushed it off. The system failed a man with mental illness, and it happens all the time. Do I believe people need to take responsibility for their own actions? In that lies a VERY loaded question.

westopher 11-07-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon604 (Post 8076307)
holy shit tats fkced up. I never did think it could be true but now I guess it could happen because your brain changes the way it thinks and you wont know what is "real" or "sane".

pretty scary stuff...

It completely blurs the lines between reality and fiction, and from what I've heard there can be part of your brain that always keeps its rational thought, and it remains conscious, so you fucking know your crazy, but you can't do anything about it. Thats why the suicide rate for schizophrenia patients is through the roof.

geelaw 11-08-2012 07:09 AM

damn.. could almost get away with anything if have mental disorder.

Glove 11-08-2012 07:35 AM

I had a buddy 10 some years ago who had mild schizso and double personality,

dude was fucked up when not on his meds, I cut him out of my life, didnt wanna deal with that shit, not my problem.

Dont know what happend to him,

thats the best thing you can do when faced with that, cut them out. its your life you gotta worry about, not someone elses.