REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   short ram intake vs cold air intake? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676426-short-ram-intake-vs-cold-air-intake.html)

slick724 11-10-2012 11:46 AM

short ram intake vs cold air intake?

thinking of getting one or the other for my IS300 yet dont really know which would allow for better performance. suggestions?

snails 11-10-2012 11:59 AM

cold air intake if its actually sucking cold air..

they say short ram will show a better throttle response but its really nothing you will ever notice

jtrinh 11-10-2012 12:33 PM

Get a Joe-Z intake tube + aftermarket drop in filter

K&N FIPK

or an SRT(Swift Racing Technologies) intake.

Philly74 11-10-2012 04:19 PM

keep this in mind, for cold air intake it sit pretty low to the ground. Since vancouver rains alot, you have to be careful with huge puddles.

ApePee2 11-11-2012 10:49 AM

I would go with short ram..

i rather take the possibility of heat soak over hydro lock

gthirty5 11-13-2012 07:03 PM

injen makes a nice "engineered" CAI and to get past the hydrolocking possibility they include a "sock" to slip over your filter to absorb any water if splashed. realistically unless you are driving in a creek your car will never hydro lock. and if you do happen to come across a large puddle that is unescapable then just drop gears and let your rev's drop.. (low idle means low air intake means no suction).
the bottom line is that a short ram is just a sanctioned standard hi flow filter... CAI is actually sucking cold air that is NOT in the engine bay.

writhen 01-19-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApePee2 (Post 8078621)
I would go with short ram..

i rather take the possibility of heat soak over hydro lock

This. hydro lock is not cool at all, heat soak...just drive faster :)

gc200 01-20-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick724 (Post 8077971)
thinking of getting one or the other for my IS300 yet dont really know which would allow for better performance. suggestions?

if ur not tracking ur car just get k&n drop in filter. no need to spend a lot of money. there is no benefit unless ur tuned.

a00755836 03-03-2013 07:40 PM

not sure about is300, but some intakes you can change from cold air intake to short ram. so you get best of both worlds. if not, look up instruction manuals for cold air intake brands and look at where the design/location of the pipe and intake. you dont wanna be like this guy

my cold air intake sits right behind the front bumper so no water soaks the intake (i tested with a power washer too).

but i would say...go for the short ram intake. it will sound better, still gets a gain of hp, and easy to clean! i need to clean my filter soon, so i have to take off the bumper which i dont want to do at all. i got a cold air intake because many people who have my car goes with cai :concentrate:.

FI-Z33 03-03-2013 09:58 PM

^ thanks for reminding me to clean my filter!
Posted via RS Mobile

bloodmack 03-05-2013 08:05 PM

I thought generally as a rule of thumb CAI is optimal for turbo cars and Short Ram is for N/A? I understand that CAI could be good for N/A cars as well though.

a00755836 03-05-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 8177291)
I thought generally as a rule of thumb CAI is optimal for turbo cars and Short Ram is for N/A? I understand that CAI could be good for N/A cars as well though.

actually sri is optimal for turbo. referenced from trusty wikipedia (pretty sure its true)..."Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat the incoming air and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake."

i dont get it though. :failed:

jtrinh 03-05-2013 11:08 PM

OP, what did you end up getting?

Xenth 10-19-2013 02:03 AM

Noticed no one has posted this, but the cold aspect of a cold air intake is only half the benefit. The other half is air velocity, when you are hard on the throttle the air being pulled through the intake starts to create a scavenging effect, increasing HP. It is a fine balance of peak air velocity and throttle response when selecting a CAI, (shorter gets you the throttle response, longer gets you the scavenging). Unless you are running a turbo setup, or a built N/A setup you will see little to no or even negative gains from an SRI in most cases comparative to stock intake. The SRI is only needed over a stock box when the motor needs more air than the stock box can handle, where as, a CAI will almost always show a decent gain (depending on setup of course) with-in reason, ie, don't expect 10% hp gains when your motor is bone stock.

meme405 10-19-2013 08:52 PM

Anyone petrified of hydro lock can pick up a hydrophobic sock to place over their filter. This will repel all water. Probably a good idea for vancouver cars...