REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anyone here work for BC Hydro? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676438-anyone-here-work-bc-hydro.html)

gary92 11-10-2012 04:17 PM

Anyone here work for BC Hydro?

Any electricians specifically? i'm half way done my pre app schooling to become an apprentice electrician and wanted to get a job with bc hydro. i've also already completed my online application

how often do they hire? and how many at a time? do they look at what mark i had in the course? or do they look for completion only?

Devastator 11-10-2012 05:21 PM

In order to get into BC hydro as a tradesmen you need at least a B+ in both Math 12 and Physics 12 its their form of a pre req. I don't work for hydro but have met a few ppl over the years and that's how they hire. Hope that helps I can't rememeber clearly if it was a B or B+ you nneed.
Posted via RS Mobile

Ludepower 11-10-2012 08:11 PM

Their looking for completion and real world experience. It's very competitive for a government union job. Dunno if they'll want to hire an apprentice when you have over qualified technicians wanting the job.

rc-luder 11-10-2012 08:38 PM

Just keep applying as there's alot of people retiring and leaving for the consulting world. Just be prepared to work anywhere in BC.

gary92 11-10-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devastator (Post 8078161)
In order to get into BC hydro as a tradesmen you need at least a B+ in both Math 12 and Physics 12 its their form of a pre req. I don't work for hydro but have met a few ppl over the years and that's how they hire. Hope that helps I can't rememeber clearly if it was a B or B+ you nneed.
Posted via RS Mobile

i never took physics in high school, im hoping that if i finish the pre app that will be enough. if not then i'll finish physics 12 at a university

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8078292)
Their looking for completion and real world experience. It's very competitive for a government union job. Dunno if they'll want to hire an apprentice when you have over qualified technicians wanting the job.

every company needs apprentices m8

Ludepower 11-10-2012 09:08 PM

Dunno why they'll care about ur highschool pre reqs.
considering your apprenticeship / trades school have their own pre reqs.

kluk 11-10-2012 10:51 PM

My brother works for BC Hydro (electrical engineering degree) but he works in the power smart program/dam construction risk analysis. He tells me that bscly it depends on where you've worked previously and what kind of job/responsibilities you had in that job. Like Ludepower said, theres a shit ton of overqualified people and in this shitty job market its quite tough to find any job, let alone an attractive gov't job. Maybe its best for you to work at a smaller company, get that experience and in a few years apply to hydro. Your chances would most likely be much higher than today.

too_slow 11-10-2012 11:11 PM

You'd have much better luck with getting a job @ FortisBC (electric) out in the Okanagan area.

Devastator 11-11-2012 12:54 AM

Company like bc hydro will hire apprentices, especially young ones just finishing pre app because they like to tailor them to how they want them. Training them with the system they like and the specific work that they do. Sometimes certain tradesmen bring unwanted habits that they just don't want.

Math 12 and physics 12 with minimum grade average is bc hydro's way of short listing applicants.

Presto 11-11-2012 08:33 AM

Be willing to work outside of the lower mainland to start. My sister, a drafter, did a year in Nanaimo before she got transferred to Coquitlam, and then downtown.

vantrip 11-11-2012 08:41 AM

They only hire apprentices and then have their own 5 years apprentship course and their own schooling, in addition to schooling from a school. Your gonna need high marks in physics, math etc. One of my friends got in he was a 3rd year app and they made him into a first year. Although the $29/hour didn't hurt lol

Soundy 11-11-2012 09:19 AM

You could always get a job with the smart meter install crew, apparently all you need is the ability to spell SMRT.

OTG-ZR2 11-11-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vantrip (Post 8078530)
They only hire apprentices and then have their own 5 years apprentship course and their own schooling, in addition to schooling from a school. Your gonna need high marks in physics, math etc. One of my friends got in he was a 3rd year app and they made him into a first year. Although the $29/hour didn't hurt lol

They pull this on their mechanics too. Everyone starts right back at zero.:okay:

vantrip 11-11-2012 11:44 PM

Do you work for hydro?
Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 8078809)
They pull this on their mechanics too. Everyone starts right back at zero.:okay:

604nguyen 11-12-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8078549)
You could always get a job with the smart meter install crew, apparently all you need is the ability to spell SMRT.

BC Hydro subs out their smart meter replacments to Corix

gary92 11-12-2012 08:08 AM

god dammit looks like im going back to college to finish physics 12, or i might start working and do physics at night school. i've sent bchydro an email as well so i'll know which exact course i'll need to take in college

OTG-ZR2 11-12-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vantrip (Post 8079112)
Do you work for hydro?

No. My apprenticeship instructor told us. They do it because they can get cheap labour from you for at least 4 years. Transit pulls the same stunt.

vantrip 11-12-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 8079238)
No. My apprenticeship instructor told us. They do it because they can get cheap labour from you for at least 4 years. Transit pulls the same stunt.

ahh I see.

vantrip 11-12-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary92 (Post 8079232)
god dammit looks like im going back to college to finish physics 12, or i might start working and do physics at night school. i've sent bchydro an email as well so i'll know which exact course i'll need to take in college

Just put the effort in now and it will be worth it later on

gary92 11-13-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vantrip (Post 8079616)
Just put the effort in now and it will be worth it later on

im all in bro, putting in a ton of effort to get all this done.

just got an email back from bchydro. they said i do need english, math, and physics 12 regardless if i finished the course i am in right now

thanks for the help guys

azncreationz 11-14-2012 09:06 PM

I work for BC Hydro... Good luck in applying! On the internal job postings, they're always looking for apprentices, PLT's, Linemen, etc... but all internal. Remember the recent Government Review? We have to cut jobs! With that said, there are still hires in certain depts. And a LOT of consultants/contractors. You're young, you'll probably be better off working for one of Hydro's contractors imo, get paid more for 1 thing.

gary92 11-15-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azncreationz (Post 8081601)
I work for BC Hydro... Good luck in applying! On the internal job postings, they're always looking for apprentices, PLT's, Linemen, etc... but all internal. Remember the recent Government Review? We have to cut jobs! With that said, there are still hires in certain depts. And a LOT of consultants/contractors. You're young, you'll probably be better off working for one of Hydro's contractors imo, get paid more for 1 thing.

i've made an account and posted my schooling information, etc. is that what you mean by internal postings?

i thought bc hydro only gives contracts to other companies for lineman type work? i don't have the balls to do that kind of job lol. can you list any of the companies that have a contract with BC hydro? i did a google search and didn't find anything.

importantLS 11-16-2012 09:15 AM

you should go adult ed to upgrade your courses instead of college. academic courses are gov't paid for

Glove 11-16-2012 09:27 AM

all of RS hates unions and government jobs,

helps this guy get into one

hchang 11-16-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove (Post 8082748)
all of RS hates unions and government jobs,

helps this guy get into one

Well those jobs are out there anyways for people to grab whether we like it or not...

Why not help one of our own get in?
Posted via RS Mobile