REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   5-Yr-Old Pool Prodigy (https://www.revscene.net/forums/676991-5-yr-old-pool-prodigy.html)

tiger_handheld 11-23-2012 11:23 AM

5-Yr-Old Pool Prodigy

FishTaco 11-23-2012 02:18 PM

This is a really cool story.

I started playing pool when i was 8 years old on my grandfathers old pool table. The kind of table where the pockets are really sharp and unforgiving, snooker sized balls, old slow felt, and crap cues.

In 1995, I was living in Nelson, BC. My parents owned the pool hall on Baker. Every day I would play pool after school. I was at the hall any chance i got. At the age of 12, I entered a tournament which my parents would hold once a month. People would come to play from like Trail, Castlegar, etc. I ended up placing 2nd in the tournament out of 50. The winner was an older gentleman and a hustler on the table named Kent. After the tournament, he asked my parents if he could be my trainer as he saw that I had potential to go pro.

Shortly after, the town of Nelson closed down a college and the town dried up for a bit. My parents had to close the business and declared bankruptcy and I spent the next 5 years moving around. I always wonder what would have been if I was able to continue to play.

On another note, the movie Pool hall Junkies is awesome if you guys like playing pool. It's one of those movies that never became popular but it's great.

RicePanda 11-23-2012 03:14 PM

That was amazing.

Also I second Poolhall Junkies. If you watch it for an amazing story or amazing acting, it might fall short; but if you watch it for pool and Christoper Walken, it's great.

iambuRnz 11-23-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishTaco (Post 8089054)

I started playing pool when i was 8 years old on my grandfathers old pool table. The kind of table where the pockets are really sharp and unforgiving, snooker sized balls, old slow felt, and crap cues.

In 1995, I was living in Nelson, BC. My parents owned the pool hall on Baker. Every day I would play pool after school. I was at the hall any chance i got. At the age of 12, I entered a tournament which my parents would hold once a month. People would come to play from like Trail, Castlegar, etc. I ended up placing 2nd in the tournament out of 50. The winner was an older gentleman and a hustler on the table named Kent. After the tournament, he asked my parents if he could be my trainer as he saw that I had potential to go pro.

Shortly after, the town of Nelson closed down a college and the town dried up for a bit. My parents had to close the business and declared bankruptcy and I spent the next 5 years moving around. I always wonder what would have been if I was able to continue to play.

On another note, the movie Pool hall Junkies is awesome if you guys like playing pool. It's one of those movies that never became popular but it's great.

i went through the same thing.. and wondered the same as you as well. its awesome how i can still play good even if i've only played a few times a year. great video. thanks for sharing. damn, i miss those days

MarkyMark 11-23-2012 03:55 PM

The movie The Color of Money is also a good pool movie, if you don't mind it being from the 80s

Me and my friend used to clean up a pool hall parking lot when we were in our early teens and we got to play all the free pool we wanted. We were pretty good and even won a few tournaments there, which was funny cause everyone else were adults. I don't play much anymore although anytime I play anyone I'm still able to kick their ass lol
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 11-23-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishTaco (Post 8089054)

you do know you are never to old to start again right? thats the great thing about pool that you can compete at any age just like you did being so young. Now you will have that much more appreciation for it since you feel so strongly about what could or still can be...

trollface 11-23-2012 05:15 PM

Is it just me or is there a hint of "I'm going to make him play as much as possible so I can cash in on this" from the dad?

boatcaptain 11-23-2012 05:31 PM

:okay: i dun even know how to hold the stick

akalic 11-23-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollface (Post 8089203)
Is it just me or is there a hint of "I'm going to make him play as much as possible so I can cash in on this" from the dad?

not much of a hint when he says it directly to the camera..:suspicious:

Matsuda 11-23-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatcaptain (Post 8089214)
:okay: i dun even know how to hold the stick

first step is not to call it a stick =D

HondaGuy 11-23-2012 10:57 PM

Cue...hhahahah...

Kids a left handed too, thats a plus! Some players cant even shoot properly in right much less left. Kid is gonna be a hustler when hes grown LOL...

Anyone here a snooker player too?? I started playing 8eight ball first and then snooker was just so much more fun and challenging!!! O...high school memories...

european 11-24-2012 07:23 AM

Damn. This kid is awesome! He'll beat me anyday. Neat video.
Posted via RS Mobile