REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   RS Tech Article: Winterizing Your Car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677064-rs-tech-article-winterizing-your-car.html)

vantrip 11-25-2012 10:24 PM

Deflate the all-seasons = instant winter tires :troll:

T4RAWR 11-26-2012 09:54 AM

^ lowering the air pressure in your tires does help gain more traction in snow :concentrate:

Lomac 11-26-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8091102)
^ lowering the air pressure in your tires does help gain more traction in snow :concentrate:

For deep snow it's handy. But for the snow we experience here where your tires will still touch the road, it's pointless. Underinflating a tire creates an upside-down "U", causing uneven contact with the ground.

GabAlmighty 11-26-2012 02:43 PM

I drove home from Eagle on 5psi all around. Boy was that fun.

jlenko 11-26-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmak4 (Post 8090484)
Is there any type of "fix" to reduce the amount of condensation build up on your car? My car froze last year I couldn't open my doors or truck for 15minutes :QQ:

I always lubricate the rubber door seals with silicone... spray onto a clean rag or paper towels, then rub all over the seals. Helps stop the doors from freezing closed.

As for moisture inside the vehicle.. I use a desiccant by the name of Dry-Z Air. Stick the tub in the back and empty it every couple of weeks.

i-vtecyo 11-26-2012 07:29 PM

To those who wake up early and always arrive RIGHT on time for work or school, lay a towel or cardboard on ur windshields over night and take it off in the morning to prevent frosting or icing. It saves you time and that way, u dont have to wake up an extra 10-15 mins scrapping the ice off ur windshield.
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com...NJNlR6A2_c.jpg

Lomac 12-05-2013 07:53 AM

Another winter season is quickly drawing near, so it's time to bump this back to the top.

threezero 12-09-2013 03:21 AM

good idea to go through touchless car wash once in a while to keep salt off the paint? won't be properly washing the car till spring, will the harsh chemical use by the touchless strip the wax or harm the paint if i over do it?

jaemc 12-09-2013 07:08 AM

Awesome write up! Good read

Tone Loc 08-13-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8378492)
good idea to go through touchless car wash once in a while to keep salt off the paint? won't be properly washing the car till spring, will the harsh chemical use by the touchless strip the wax or harm the paint if i over do it?

Once a month is a good rule of thumb, or more frequently if they are salting the roads in your area. Make sure to go to a wash place that has the underbody spray to get salt/debris out of the underbody, fender wells, etc.. all of which are places that are prone to rust.

Another good idea for winterizing is to replace your windshield wipers... oftentimes, during the summer when they are hardly used the rubber can get brittle, crack, or just straight up get dirty and smear crap all over your windshield. That and use Rain-X on your windows, they can be a lifesaver especially if you get splashed by a semi trailer or similarly large vehicle and can't see.

hud 91gt 08-13-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8375726)
Another winter season is quickly drawing near, so it's time to bump this back to the top.

I resent this statement.

Lomac 08-13-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8516429)
I resent this statement.

Quote:

Posted 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
:accepted:

hud 91gt 08-13-2014 09:37 PM

Touche

dared3vil0 08-13-2014 10:02 PM

Two months from now we'll be right in the middle of fall-winter transition, can anyone say RAAAAAAAIIIINNNNNN/no traction/terrible traffic. Fucking joy.

Tone Loc 12-25-2014 11:20 PM

Can anyone chime in on a good method for preventing condensation on windows...? I have an EK Civic which is pretty infamous for having poor circulation/ventilation. I park outside and on cold days I look forward to condensation on all my windows. It really sucks to wait 5 minutes before actually driving to let the defogger work, and I'm tired of using an old chamois to "assist" the defogging process by wiping down my windows. I found out today that using an old windshield wiper as a squeegee greatly speeds up the process...

I heard Rain-X has an "anti-fog", does it work? At this point I am seriously considering filling a sock with silica-based kitty litter and putting it on the dashboard overnight.

meme405 12-26-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 (Post 8573454)
Can anyone chime in on a good method for preventing condensation on windows...? I have an EK Civic which is pretty infamous for having poor circulation/ventilation. I park outside and on cold days I look forward to condensation on all my windows. It really sucks to wait 5 minutes before actually driving to let the defogger work, and I'm tired of using an old chamois to "assist" the defogging process by wiping down my windows. I found out today that using an old windshield wiper as a squeegee greatly speeds up the process...

I heard Rain-X has an "anti-fog", does it work? At this point I am seriously considering filling a sock with silica-based kitty litter and putting it on the dashboard overnight.

I think snails said that shaving cream actually ended up working on his GF's car.

Search it up, a lot of people use it on goggles and stuff. I've previously used it on snowboarding goggles when I was in a jam, and it seemed to work pretty decently.

ruthless 12-26-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 (Post 8573454)

Haven't done this myself though.

thumper 03-03-2015 11:27 AM

didn't know where to put this...