REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Large Home Network Setup (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677110-large-home-network-setup.html)

twitchyzero 11-25-2012 07:55 PM

Large Home Network Setup

Hello I need help with my home network setup

service is 25mbps down 2.5 up...i get advertised rates with the DIR-665/655 routers connected to the Telus Actiontec V1000H gateway. I also have 2 older routers (DI-624 and USR8054) that are also connected to the gateway but lags/disconnects a lot. I'm thinking of retiring them but I still need the extra ports (I have lots of users living in the house that game/stream/download a lot).

I forgot all the Cisco CCNA 1/2 networking stuff I learned 7 years ago and just a quick google on the basics doesn't quite answer my question.

Can I just replace the 2 aging routers with something like this? D-LINK DGS-1008G 8-PORT Unmanaged Gigabit Switch

Also I it's PnP but are there network devices besides DD-WRT routers where I can monitor/control/allocate the bandwidth evenly among all the ports?

TIA

striderblade 11-25-2012 09:18 PM

If you need more ports. Switches is the cheapest way to go. However if you want to control the flow of your bandwidth then a controllable switch will cost you. Since you are using DIR 655 there is a alternative way but not full proof. There is a QoS setting under the advance menu that will allow you to prioritize 10 of your computers traffic but of course is not gonna be something better than your modded DD-WRT router.

Oh and to answer you question, yes you can replace your 2 routers with that gigabit switch. Is pretty much plug and play. So you don't have to go into any setting like you did with your old router and bridge them.

!MiKrofT 11-25-2012 10:19 PM

^Yup. What he said. Just ditch the 2 old routers and buy a switch connected directly to your dir655. That's the exact same setup I have now pretty much.

twitchyzero 11-25-2012 10:28 PM

would it be more hassle free to connect it
gateway
i) dir655
ii) switch

rather than what you are suggesting
gateway
i) dir655 ---> switch

cause technically the gateway is a router itself...and so that config looks quite complicated

gateway/router --> router --> switch

unless I figure a way to put the gateway into bridged mode so it serves strictly as a modem

lilaznviper 11-25-2012 10:58 PM

you can't put the telus modem/router into bridge mode the last time i checked.

Not sure if you are using the router as a wireless point but you can just remove the router if you are not using the wireless and just go modem-->switch.

Don't remember if the telus modem/router has QOS built-in, but if it does you can completely remove the router from the network

FerrariEnzo 11-26-2012 12:22 AM

How many users will require cable connection and how many users using wireless connection?

You can disable the routing function on D-Link if you need wireless...

I would go

Gateway > Wireless Powerline Router >Switch

This way with the powerline router, your all set if you need LAN connection in a different room, just get another powerline LAN adapter, this way you dont need to lay our the ethernet cables)
The newer modems are pretty much a wireless router, so you dont need 2 routers doing the routing function!??!... Disabling DHCP on the router essentially turns the router into a switch but with more control.. The added switch makes more LAN ports if you need it in the same room, otherwise the powerlines would serve pretty good in seperate rooms. You could have a few Wireless Powerline adapter around the house if you need the wireless connection instead.

twitchyzero 11-26-2012 11:50 AM

well every room in the house..even the kitchen and patio all have Cat5 wired connection laid down years ago..my dad is old school.

I've asked telus rep maybe year or two ago and I cannot put the modem gateway into bridged mode...meaning I can't disable its routing functions AFAIK.

Strider, what do you mean the QoS in the DIR-655 is not fool proof? Easy to bypass it? Lots of quirks?

Right now the D-link routers don't serve any purpose except to provide ports (which switches can do) and "added security" but this is probably a misconception

FerrariEnzo 11-26-2012 12:12 PM

So then if you have cat5 cables all laid out, you just need a switch with lots of ports for all the cables to go into... then the switch goes to the modem. The telus actiontec modem has the DHCP server.

If you still want to use your D-Link router..

nns 11-26-2012 01:09 PM

I bet OP's CAT5 jacks are wired up for phone atm. Not data. If all the first pairs are connected, and op has phone, running data on one of those CAT5 data jacks could screw up his phone.

Unless op has separate phone and data jacks.
Posted via RS Mobile

!MiKrofT 11-26-2012 02:56 PM

Pretty crappy that they force you to use their router. How about this config since it sounds like you need the wireless as well:

Gateway -> assign IP to DMZ mode so everything passes through -> DIR655 -> switch.

I'd rather rely on the Dlink QOS rather than the crap that Telus provides.

twitchyzero 11-26-2012 07:35 PM

aren't phone/internet jacks quite different? i've both

not too familiar with DMZ...i thought it's not secured? I've only used it to to get NAT 2 on my ps3

Sorry I'm usually not this noob when it comes to tech-hardware stuff

I just found an old switch kicking around so I'll test that first hooking it up to the gateway.

lilaznviper 11-26-2012 08:46 PM

you can use internet jacks as phone lines as well since phone only uses 1 pair of wires out of the 4 pairs

since you are using your own router then putting your router into the dmz is fine since the router will be nating then the telus modem.

!MiKrofT 11-26-2012 09:49 PM

^exactly. We want the dlink doing all the work while the telus router to do as little as possible. At least that's probably the way I'd try it. I'm lucky that Shaw can force mine into bridge mode.

lilaznviper 11-27-2012 04:51 PM

I'm not 100% sure but i heard telus has a new router/modem combo that can be put into bridge mode