REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Storing cigar without humidor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677163-storing-cigar-without-humidor.html)

threezero 11-26-2012 10:52 PM

Storing cigar without humidor

So I just receive 3 stick of cohiba direct from cuba as a gift. I smoke cigarettes myself and know nothing about cigar. I'm probably gonna save it for special occasions. Problem is I don't have a humidor right now. I'm not an aficionado (not yet at least) so I just want to get a small humidor from amazon or something to store it in. Its not gonna arrive for a good week or two, how can i store the cigar till than? It three sticks are in wrapper right now should I leave it in there? How long can a cigar last outside of a humidor? Any recommendation for a humidor under 40$?

Fafine 11-26-2012 10:54 PM

citycigars have humidor of all prices, give them a call and see what their lowest priced one is?

vitaminG 11-26-2012 11:12 PM

you can look up instructions online to make a cheap humidor for the time being. you might even be able to build one for less than $40 that is better than one you could buy at that price.

classified 11-26-2012 11:39 PM

what i did with some old ones was, have 2 ziplock bags, first bag poke holes in it and put a damp paper towel in it, then put that into a bigger bag with the cigar. not the best but its easy to do

dr.funk 11-26-2012 11:40 PM

use a small camping cooler the plastic ones and use a petri dish and pour a little bit of whiskey or burbon in it and store in closet thats wat i do i just refill the burbon every month plus it adds a better taste of the cigar too

ae101 11-26-2012 11:54 PM

i sell cigars in china, i put my cigars in a wine cellar as i also sell wine

temp is around 16 to 17, so basically u can put it any place that's within 16 to 17 (around there)

also in the future u will experience mold on your cigars, so what u can do is grab a dry damp cloth near sun light & slowly following the leave lines wipe the mold off

SkinnyPupp 11-26-2012 11:54 PM

If they came in a sealed tube they should actually be OK. I have had some that were years old in a tube and they were fine.

In any case, it will be fine for the time it takes to order one in

ae101 11-26-2012 11:56 PM

lol real cigar lovers dun buy with the tube :seriously:

SkinnyPupp 11-27-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 8091827)

I don't mind not calling myself a "real cigar lover" and nor does the OP

EmperorIS 11-27-2012 12:12 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Arturo-Fuente-The-Humidor-Small/dp/B003SK26II/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354007542&sr=8-3&keywords=humidor+bags
these work

Manic! 11-27-2012 02:17 AM

just use any container with a wet sponge inside. Make dome holes in it so it's not air tight. We have had humidors in our gas station and they are just cabinets with a sponge inside. they recommend using distilled water for the sponge.

Phil@rise 11-27-2012 10:08 AM

Never heard anyone refer to cigars as sticks lol. Do not freeze them! Keep them in a dark cool humid place. A humidor isnt much more than a lightly ventilated box with a piece of fabric in it to hold a small amount of water but no direct contact with the water. If the cigars (not sticks) dry out to much they will crumble apart.

604STIG 11-27-2012 10:09 AM

You should definitely walk into CityCigar since you are in Vancouver. You should be able to find something to accommodate you in the sub $40 category. The guys will be happy to show you your options and teach you a thing or two, even if you decide not to buy anything, they're pretty chill in there. What you don't want is to waste your cigars because of improper storage.

threezero 11-27-2012 04:31 PM

thanks guys. i've order humidor, humidifier and gauge from amazon for $40 total. should arrive in a few days i guess the cigar will be fine in my closet for now if I keep the wrappers on?

Will definately check out city cigar when I get a chance, I have a feeling I won't like the strong cohiba being a noob and all. Maybe I will go to them to get some light cigars to try first before busting out the cohiba.

Phil@rise 11-27-2012 06:38 PM

dont put a half smoked cigar in with the other either. It will impart its smoke flavor to the unsmoked ones

bcrdukes 11-27-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8092009)
If the cigars (not sticks) dry out to much they will crumble apart.

They also taste terrible!

604STIG 11-28-2012 10:32 AM

If nothing else put them in a sealed ziplock bag for the time being.

MindBomber 11-28-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8092539)
dont put a half smoked cigar in with the other either. It will impart its smoke flavor to the unsmoked ones

In the end, there would be no point to putting a partially smoked cigar in a humidor anyway. Once a cigar has been lit, if you put it out and leave it for even an hour the flavour will be severely compromised. The best idea is to wait until you will have sufficient time to smoke the entire cigar before lighting it, which yes, can be a pretty big chunk of time to set aside.

By the way, Phil, sticks is a pretty common slang term for cigars now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 8091827)

I suppose, I know many cigar aficionados who are not, "real cigar lovers," because they often purchase tubos to assess whether they enjoy the taste of cigar or not before dropping coin on an entire box. Certain tubos do restrict airflow to cigars, but they certainly don't completely dry out the and ruin them.

604STIG 11-28-2012 01:51 PM

One of may favorite cigars happens to be a tubos cigar (Romeo y Jullietta) I don't see anything wrong with them. Smoke what you like.