REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,906 Times in 753 Posts
eBay shipment possibly lost - Canada Post insurance claim

Before I begin to panic... i sold something off eBay and had it shipped off to the USA - Mississippi to be exact. Dropped it off at postal outlet Nov 19th to ship by small packets USA Air. Unfortunately, this service does not offer 'trackable' items.

Today (nov 28) i get an email from the buyer letting me know they have not received it yet.. i figured that last weeks US Thanksgiving may have delayed customs/shipping.

However... to prepare myself... how do i go on about claiming the Canada Post insurance on this package IF it has in fact been lost? what details do they require? Obviously i've kept the shipment receipt.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
small packet takes 2-3 weeks.

it's probably too soon.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Plus, it's Christmas time. Nearing December = backlogs
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Too soon. You'll probably be fine. Tell the buyer it's holiday time and things are probably congested at the post office.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I wouldn't be too worried, I had a package sent to me from seattle on Nov 6, and didn't receive it until Nov 27, could be held up at customs, plus the delay due to thanksgiving and busyness of christmas
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
I STILL don't get it

I did this a few months ago when I sold some golf equipment on ebay.

Call Canada post and to open a claim, provide them with the tracking number and what I did was follow up with them every few days. Eventually I got a letter stating that the package has been lost. Once it was determined the package was lost and that I'd receive a cheque I refunded the buyer his full cost of the item + shipping.

But like everyone else is stating, it is the holidays so i'd give it more time. My case with Canada post took over 4 weeks until i opened a case.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
G'd up! w000weee

I'd say give it at 14 business days...so around 3 weeks. Then you can panic if it still hasn't arrived yet.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Like everyone said you should be fine, I don't usually worry unless its more than 4 weeks. Either way I believe Canada Post only covers $100 if you dont purchase any additional insurance. But then again I only ship tracked items, so I'm not sure how that works for small packets.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Had a Canada Post incident where a $700 electronic item was stolen. I had all the proof I needed including video footage, but they weren't interested in helping me reclaim my item because it would require them to pretty much admit they were at fault.
Short story they told me to FCK off and sent me a $100 cheque. The worst customer service experience I ever had, I hope you don't have to go through them because its absolutely hopeless, they know they're government and therefore untouchable, and they will act like it
Posted via RS Mobile
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
Had a Canada Post incident where a $700 electronic item was stolen. I had all the proof I needed including video footage, but they weren't interested in helping me reclaim my item because it would require them to pretty much admit they were at fault.
Short story they told me to FCK off and sent me a $100 cheque. The worst customer service experience I ever had, I hope you don't have to go through them because its absolutely hopeless, they know they're government and therefore untouchable, and they will act like it
Posted via RS Mobile
did you pay for additional insurance?
packages are only only insured for the minimum...which is $100...
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Speaking of ebay orders, i ordered some LED's on Oct.30th, its now almost Nov.30th and still no sign of the shipment. Seller shipped from HK with probably the cheapest option possible so no tracking number either. Msged the seller 2 days ago and no reply or anything yet.

WTF?
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile

If you had video evidence, why didn't you take it to the media? Steele on YOUR side

reminds me of the TSA agent caught with an ipad.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Tons of ebay items I bought havent arrived yet
Over 60 days basically...
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
I always expect my eBay purchases to arrive between 2-3 weeks.
It's been pretty consistent with that, regardless of where I buy from.
Even when it's as close as Ontario.

And this is during normal season...

Tell him to "hold his horses", in a nice way.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Speaking of ebay orders, i ordered some LED's on Oct.30th, its now almost Nov.30th and still no sign of the shipment. Seller shipped from HK with probably the cheapest option possible so no tracking number either. Msged the seller 2 days ago and no reply or anything yet.

WTF?
Bought a bunch of items from HK overseas around the last week of October as well.
Different packages are coming to my house everyday this week, and I'm still waiting for a couple more

Don't worry, your LED's should arrive by the end of this week or early next week
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Better safe than Surrey

Shipping from HK is messed. Stuff arrives super quick or in a month+
Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #17

no additional insurance was not paid and I wasnt happy about that, but it was out of my control, it was somebody sending me a present basically.

The video evidence is a front door camera, so basically according to Canada Post it showed in the system as scanned signed and delivered, end of story is what Canada Post told me...
And they were being smartasses saying, yea it was delivered somebody signed for it, yet they refused to tell me who signed for it.... I played along until it got nowhere fast, and that's when I told them I had video evidence to prove that the exact time down to the minute when this was supposedly "signed and delivered" that there was no Canada Post employee at my front door let alone me signing for it.
That's when they took an even harder line basically told me to take them to court and the conversation is over, and they would send me a $100 check whether I liked it or not.....

Reality is that postman whoever he was just straight up scanned the package as delivered and then stole it, plain and simple... I told them why the hell aren't they taking that into consideration, it's obvious as shit they have a thief there.....
But I think they're unionized so they didn't wanna touch him
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
undercutters who use cheap shipping

fyi this is against seller policy and all you have to do is file a claim with eBay. even if you get your product since there is no way they can prove they sent it.
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
Before I begin to panic... i sold something off eBay and had it shipped off to the USA - Mississippi to be exact. Dropped it off at postal outlet Nov 19th to ship by small packets USA Air. Unfortunately, this service does not offer 'trackable' items.

Today (nov 28) i get an email from the buyer letting me know they have not received it yet.. i figured that last weeks US Thanksgiving may have delayed customs/shipping.

However... to prepare myself... how do i go on about claiming the Canada Post insurance on this package IF it has in fact been lost? what details do they require? Obviously i've kept the shipment receipt.
Small Packet Air can take 6-12 business days and there is no guarantee it will arrive within that time frame.

All the info you need about making a claim is here: Canada Post

But yeah, Canada Post usually won't look too far into it unless the package is way overdue. I've shipped hundreds of packages throughout the years with Canada Post and they've only lost one. Mailed me a check for $100.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
i totally don't go to the police when my shit is stolen either.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
undercutters who use cheap shipping

fyi this is against seller policy and all you have to do is file a claim with eBay. even if you get your product since there is no way they can prove they sent it.
Posted via RS Mobile
sent a 2kg small parcel to aus recently.

if it was larger than 2kg it would have been 150. Shipping was 57.

Big difference to keep them small.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
i totally don't go to the police when my shit is stolen either.
hey forum smartass, you don't think I tried that

It's a civil matter for civil court what the cops told me, nothing they could do really meaning nothing they wanted to do because government organizations stick with government organizations bottom line.
My only other option was the Canada Post "independent" ombudsman, which got me nowhere quickly as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
I am grateful grapefruit

G-Spec: Did you get insurance for $700 when you sent it? If so, I would be very surprised they only sent $100 to you.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #24

^ no, like I said it was a gift being sent TO ME by someone else who didn't get the full insurance that would cover the full amount, I was the recipient.
Canada Post automatically covers you up to $100 of the worth of the item when you ship it, it's not even extra insurance it's just automatically combined into the price you pay for sending the item, that's from what they told me.
It's pretty stupid why you wouldn't pay an extra $20 or so bucks for the full insurance if you have something that pricey. And these Canada Post employees know this, they know which packages have the full insurance and which dont, because if my package DID have the full insurance, I'm sure there would have been more of an investigation than what was into it. This thief knowing it wasn't insured knew that there wouldn't be one since it wasn't insured, and it's why he took it.
I mean the balls to scan it as SIGNED and DELIVERED, that's like a fckin veteran employee knowing all the ins and outs of the game straight up, I give him his props I gotta admit, he hustled the game.

I wish OP the best, cuz once he has to go call up Canada Post, he's automatically on the losing side
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Banned By Establishment

The police are not a government organization, they simply uphold the laws of parliament.