REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Red Light Camera always means a ticket? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677309-red-light-camera-always-means-ticket.html)

dmak4 11-29-2012 11:02 PM

Red Light Camera always means a ticket?

Well, title says it all...

I was driving home earlier and I was going 55ish and the roads were really slipperly and I didn't want to slam the brakes. I felt like it was a pretty quick yellow, but anyways I sped up a bit because I didn't think I could stop in time and I pretty much went through a late yellow/red and the camera's got me... I was in no means driving recklessly just a cruise heading home around blundell/gilbert I believe.

Being said, having the traffic cams flash does it automatically mean a ticket will be issued?

Sky_High 11-29-2012 11:05 PM

:rukidding:

:speechless:

dmak4 11-29-2012 11:09 PM

Okay well I haven't been driving for that long, plus I've never gotten a ticket or know much about how the red light cameras, etc work... So i'm just wondering.

sekin67835 11-29-2012 11:17 PM

They look over all the cases and see if you entered the road before the yellow. (or if you are turning, etc)

broken_arrow 11-29-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekin67835 (Post 8094648)
They look over all the cases and see if you entered the road before the yellow. (or if you are turning, etc)

Who knows, they might take into account the weather/road conditions...

dmak4 11-29-2012 11:32 PM

Well if I'm lucky they'll look at the poor weather and slippery roads. I'm pretty sure I was in the intersection when it was yellow, just turning red.
What are the odds of red camera light tickets being issued in general you think?

hsh4 11-30-2012 12:34 AM

i went through a late yellow on a slippery road by 49st and granville and cameras flashed. I wasnt speeding or anything in fact i past the intersection right at 50km /hr or so. In the end never got a ticket

zulutango 11-30-2012 04:21 AM

My understanding is that the timing is such that the light must have been red for a certain period of time before you entered the intersection. The law permits you to continue into an intersection on a yellow light if you are so close that you cannot stop safely...but there is no exemption to enter on a red. If you go in on a red then you were either going too fast or were not paying attention. There is no excuse for running a red, only for being too close to stop for a yellow. A good driver approaches every stale green light as if it will turn yellow before they get there and must stop, and plans accordingly to do so. If it stays green you are OK, if it turns yellow then you continue if you have reached your point of no return, or stop if you have not. The traffic behind you and the road surface are 2 factors you use to decide this point.

inv4zn 11-30-2012 10:52 AM

^This is the correct (and textbook) answer, but I've found that surprisingly, common sense is used by the officers in charge of the red light camera system.

I've had multiple instances where it was iffy, and the camera flashed. Not once got a ticket for it though.

Also, semi-related, asking if you're going to get a ticket or not in the mail in 3 weeks is like asking if it's going to rain tomorrow. I get that you might be worried (especially if it's your first time - I know I was) but there isn't really much you can do but wait.

If you do get one and you feel you don't deserve one, you can dispute it.

Marco911 12-05-2012 02:30 AM

Many of those boxes don't have cameras in them, but they will still flash. The cameras are rotated through different intersections during the course of the year.